SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Here is what it looks like in place ... I think it's sad to see planes fly w/o a pilot

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
The actual Me-262 cockpit of course looks quite a bit different and vastly more elaborate ... but somewhere a compromise needs to be found.

Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Servus Catman,

How did you hinge the nosegear door? Do you have a pic of that ? Thanks HWH
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:24 AM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
Servus Herb

in this thread, i posted some pictures of my geardoors:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...?highlight=262

Just scroll down to the last pictures. If it does not help,
i will make some new pictures.

But this can take some time, as i will be back home next week.
Just let me know

Greets

Cat
catman74 is offline Find More Posts by catman74
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hi, I found it, thanks ! I will have to use two hinges at the front one mine.

Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
931 Posts
Hi Herb

Very nice work on your 262! I see you are using cotton balls for noise reduction is this the first time you used them? If not how well does this work?

You have a very nice collection of Jets! I really like your Mig-21 I have seen a full size Mig 21 fly over my house. The owner stores his Mig at our local airport I've talked to him a few times and he told me it takes almost all of the runway to stop it. He said he is a little under 200mph when the wheels touch. Very nice jet to watch it take off and land. His Mig is a 2-seater so I asked him what would it take to get a ride he said a signed accidental death waiver and $3500.00 dollars for the fuel. Ouch!
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hi Herb,

Thanks for a great thread!! I've really enjoyed your build and am considering an AW ME-262 for next year. I've wanted one this size for a long time and you're convincing me to swap meet a bunch if stuff this winter to open up some hanger space.

I'm new to fans of this size. Can you lend any insight to the RC Lander 90mm fans. Also, I think it's ExtremeRC that has been showing off thier new all metal AMA approved fans. I was hoping those new fans might work in the 262. However they are 12s setups and so would add a bunch of wieght.

Keep up the great work.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hi, thanks !

I'm in Paris France Aug. till the end of September, so no work on the Me-262 ...

Took this picture of a MiG-21 at Le Breguet airport yesterday

Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:54 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
931 Posts
Very nice pic's of the Mig What is the plane in behind it? I have some pic's of the 2 seater Mig 21 I'll find them and post them for you. Enjoy France!
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
The one behind the MiG-21 is some sort of Fencer maybe ? not sure.

I got my second set of 120A esc's so will be able to test both ... hopefully one set will not go up in smoke.

Somebody asked me abou the Sm 90mm fan earlier, I ruled that out because of the weight, almost twice what I have on mine. Way too much stress for the nacelles and esp. that lightweight wing imo.

The new Jetfan has apparently rather weak blades, so that one was ruled out too. The lightweight DS-51(a classic and a tad more efficient than the Midi) was the only other option I considered.

Some batts are on their way so I should be able to do some serious testing (taxi) when I get back.

Last edited by Herb; Sep 05, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Nowadays it seems most esc are set up by default for outrunner, so the parameters are somewhat sub-optimal - or even badly wrong - for 4-pole inrunners like the Neu 1515 and the HET 700 series.

So I changed the start from "normal" to "soft" (puts less strain on the fan adapter);

I also set the timing back to 7 degrees, which is a better starting value for 4-pole inrunners like HET 700, Neu 1515 and Plettenberg 50 series.
This should maximize the motor efficiency and reduce heat.

Finally I set the PWM frequency back to 8kHz (instead of 16, which is for high pole outrunnner and ironless motors), the 16kHz is a bad value for the HET 700, makes the ESC get quite a bit warmer due to the increase switching frequency.

It is nice to have a good quality program box to do all this stuff.

Last edited by Herb; Sep 21, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I managed to get the esc wiring done, and hooked up the fans to make sure they would both turn the same way

I ran the whole setup at half throttle for a few minutes just to check temps & resonances, and everything seems fine so far

The sound's good so far and annoying vibrations are almost nonexistent, so far.

After a two minute run both motor shafts & back plates are still at ca. room temp.

Airworld Me-262 Twin 90mm engine test (0 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Herb; Nov 05, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Me 262

Herb,

Thanks for info, was very useful. I am just about finished with my ME 262, and is hoping to maiden it on Sat and take it to our Oudtshoorn scale event next week. I am running HET outrunners with the HET impellers as I was not happy with the Mega motors and fans (too marginal). On a 6S pack I am pulling about 60A, but need to check the timing etc on ESC and run it again. There is a faint vibration on the motors at a certain RPM, but I suspect it will not be a problem if nacelles are mounted to wing. Will post some pics, as I am very happy with the paint scheme. Still need to add markings etc. but will probably do that at a later stage.

Regards,

andre
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hi Andre,

Good luck on the maiden ... The Moki fans are not bad at all, they are an exact Schuebeler DS-51 copy (older series) .

The problem I found with the HET 700 fans is that the rotors are not well balanced, in spite of claims to the contrary. I use the WeMotec pro rotors which are extremely smooth and well balanced.

I also ordered two replacement rotors since the risk of fod ingestion is high with those low nacelles.

I used the above video to run the sound track trough a spectral analyzer to test if both fans are running at the same rpm ... If they don't you'll see two close tracks. Here the two tracks for the lowest harmonic overlap perfectly and the two fans run at the same rpm (within track resolution).

The problem is that occasionally the Kv's of two motors are close but not the same (eg 1490 and 1520 for a 1500kv motor, due perhaps to different winding packing fractions).

On the Me-262 this can cause slight thrust asymmetries.

Here luckily the two motors are very closely matched in Kv .

Last edited by Herb; Sep 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,013 Posts
looking good herb! been a while since i checked in..

you know...you just got me thinking about the HET motor in my jetfan 90....packs were getting pretty puffed...and should only be a 3500w setup...but i never checked the setting on my turnigy esc...ill have to go back and adjust them similar to what your using, and try it out again...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut