SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:08 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Discussion
St. Louis Admirals 2011 Annual Regatta

Well it's official, the St. Louis Admirals have announced the dates for thier 2011 Annual Regatta. This years regatta dates have changed to October 1'st and 2'nd and so has the location to the Boat house on Post Dispatch lake in Forest Park. http://stlouisadmirals.com/regatta.html

The club has had a few sail dates in the past at this new location and feels it will be better.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qf5...=b&FORM=LMLTCC
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:44 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Best of luck with the new location- the old site at Union Station was lots of fun, but I can imagine drawing good traffic at the new site too, with the other nearby attractions.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:16 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
I generally resist change, and to me, the Union Station venue was the essence of the event.

Anywhere else, and it will be just another regatta that I would think twice about driving all those hours to---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Don't worry Karl, there will be beer around. It's St. Louis after all....
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
I have to agree with Karl on this one. I thought Union Station added so much to the event, especially viewers. I have to admit a certain affection for the food court also. Question, is there a good/easy place to launch our boats? Is there a place to tie our docks to? I took a look at the link and what about all those paddleboats! I know, I know, Im a party pooper arent I.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
St. Louis Regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
I have to agree with Karl on this one. I thought Union Station added so much to the event, especially viewers. I have to admit a certain affection for the food court also. Question, is there a good/easy place to launch our boats? Is there a place to tie our docks to? I took a look at the link and what about all those paddleboats! I know, I know, Im a party pooper arent I.
The new site has been well planned. with food on site. I have talked to some of the planners and they are very excited about it. The Union Station's policys were changed, the new park is very large and they want the St, Louis Regatta to be a success. The park has tents and parking according to the members I have talked to. This isn't just anther park, it has a zoo and many other attractions, there are attractions on both sides of the Interstate, where you go to the park. Look at their web page, I have been going for ten years, and a friend of mine from Chattonooga, is planning to come back this year (600 miles) after looking at the site. Check it out and make up your mind, for the past 12 years this was The Regatta to go to, many boats and a good venue. They have had Model Builders from as many as ten states attend in the past. Thanks Stu Kerrn
Stu Kerrn is offline Find More Posts by Stu Kerrn
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:23 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Tie your docks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
Where did you tie your docks at Union Station, and when were paddleboats on the water during the Regatta, except one for boat retrival? For these questions you have seven months to get answers, call or e-mail the St. Louis Admirals. Thanks Stu Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Apr 02, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:32 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Thanks for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat View Post
Well it's official, the St. Louis Admirals have announced the dates for thier 2011 Annual Regatta. This years regatta dates have changed to October 1'st and 2'nd and so has the location to the Boat house on Post Dispatch lake in Forest Park. http://stlouisadmirals.com/regatta.html

The club has had a few sail dates in the past at this new location and feels it will be better.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qf5...=b&FORM=LMLTCC
Are you a member of the St. Louis Admirals? I dropped out last year because it was a 300 mile round trip for meetings. In the past they had about 1/3 of their members living to far away to attend their meetings. When my wife and I went to meetings (about 3 times a year) they had about 40 members at each meeting, and the Regatta was planned at each meeting all year. Keep us informed.
Thanks Stu Kerrn
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
2011 Admirals Regatta

I have just joined this group, and would like to respond to several other posts. For those who have not been to an Admirals Regatta for the past several years, you will find the glory days of being at Union Station are a thing of the past.

Today, my estimate is that only 30% of the shops once at Union Station remain open. It has little draw to the public. For the past three years that I have been Commodore of the Club, we have had only 60-70 boats on display - not enough to really justify the over $1000 expenditure to keep the Regatta at Union Station. We rent tables, rent the facility, pay parking, pay insurance, etc., etc.

The Boat House at Forest Park (site of the 1904 World's Fair) has waterways that connect to the lagoon where the Boat House is located, and go all of the way to the Grand Basin if you have enough batteries. Also in Forest Park are the Art Museum, Science Center, History Museum, golf course, zoo, and acres of beautiful park open space. There are restaurants and hotels nearby along I-44 and I-64. The Boat House (a reasonably priced restaurant) has asked us to be our sponsor for the Regatta. They are providing the tables, the facility, the parking is free, and they are planning to help promote our event.

Since the Boat House controls the paddle boats, dock, and location of the Regatta, we expect to have their cooperation in making this event a lot of fun for both of us, and for you,too! The Club has sailed several times last year (with another sailing event scheduled for May 9), and both the Boat House and the Club have had very good experiences. We have not changed the location just to make things rough for the attendees, but hopefully to generate a lot of model boating interst and promote a great weekend for the ship captains.....

We hope that you give this a try, and see you sailing on October 1-2.

Jim Schwinkendorf
Commodore
St Louis Admirals
jaschwink is offline Find More Posts by jaschwink
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:24 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
I'm hoping to attend and am looking forward to seeing some of the guys and gals who made the past regattas so special. It's the people folks, not the place! jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:55 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
St Louis Regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
I'm hoping to attend and am looking forward to seeing some of the guys and gals who made the past regattas so special. It's the people folks, not the place! jda
I agree with JDA. Commodore Jim gave an excellent explanation about the move. What other Regattas have the number of States represented, the number of boats and the number of classes you can enter in. These people know how to put on a Regatta, promote model boating and have fun doing it. Stu Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Apr 03, 2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:27 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Kerrn View Post
Are you a member of the St. Louis Admirals? I dropped out last year because it was a 300 mile round trip for meetings. In the past they had about 1/3 of their members living to far away to attend their meetings. When my wife and I went to meetings (about 3 times a year) they had about 40 members at each meeting, and the Regatta was planned at each meeting all year. Keep us informed.
Thanks Stu Kerrn
Stu,

Yes I'm a member of the Admirals and have been for some time now. We have spoke in the past of the situation(s) that have transpired at past Regattas. With the club under new direction I hope to see you at the next Regatta because I stand in aw of your work.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:53 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
C.S.S. Ambermarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat View Post
Stu,

Yes I'm a member of the Admirals and have been for some time now. We have spoke in the past of the situation(s) that have transpired at past Regattas. With the club under new direction I hope to see you at the next Regatta because I stand in aw of your work.
Is this your boat and are your initials P.F., if they are I know you and your very high standard models well. My wife and I wish you the very best and may see you in October. Say hello to your son and thanks for your comments.
Stu and Lory Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:53 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschwink View Post
I have just joined this group, and would like to respond to several other posts. For those who have not been to an Admirals Regatta for the past several years, you will find the glory days of being at Union Station are a thing of the past.

We hope that you give this a try, and see you sailing on October 1-2.

Jim Schwinkendorf Commodore St Louis Admirals
Come to think of it, perhaps the new venue seriously deserves to be looked at.

Union Station is an interesting place, but like it has been said, it is slowly going to seed, and losing its appeal.

As such, both Microglass and Loyalhanna Dockyard are considering attending this event as visitors and/or vendors, if the St. Louis Admirals will have us---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:37 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Will they accept us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Come to think of it, perhaps the new venue seriously deserves to be looked at.

Union Station is an interesting place, but like it has been said, it is slowly going to seed, and losing its appeal.

As such, both Microglass and Loyalhanna Dockyard are considering attending this event as visitors and/or vendors, if the St. Louis Admirals will have us---.
E-Mail Comodore Jim and get details, he just joined RC GROUPS this week and I don't know how often he will check this site. I first went to the St, Louis Regatta in 1998. I dropped out last year because of the 300 mile round trip to meetings, in other words I am not at this time a member. Union Station had a policy not to have vendors, because they felt it would be in competition with their shops. I have talked to Jim by e-mail and told him of messages on RC GROUPS, he then joined. The park may have a different venue, you must ask Jim.
You have seven months, if you aren't getting answers (on anything) tell me and I can contact him, I want to help any way I can. It seems like once a St. Louis Admiral always a member. I am user friendly. Thanks for your post Stu Kerrn