HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
Discussion
HERE IS a Review of the HET F-104, I know its a older model but I thought I post it.

SO I am on my second HET F-104. My first one did not work out because I tried to handlaunch it couple of times. SO now that I learned how to do a bungee system I gave it another shot. IT flew awesome, Had to be careful in the turns but it was pretty impressive and looked good on the fly by's. I did not follow the instructions on the servo mount on the elevator, I just dremmeled a cut and inserted the servo in the vertical tail. It looks little odd but it worked flawless. I had to do no trims at all, no left or right or up or down after the launch. I was totally surprised. I have some pics of it. I also have video but have to wait until my friend comes back from Toledo.

My system in use is HET 6904 fan, Little screamers JS1400, CC 125 ESC,
xps 5s 3200mah 65 c battery. IM sure it would go faster with the drop tanks off but it looks cool so I left them on.
sherlockshah is online now Find More Posts by sherlockshah
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:02 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,277 Posts
i gotta ask why you put the servos on top of the wings? the top of th ewing is what helps make most of the lift. the belly of the plane would keep the servos from hitting the ground on landing.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
I had it the other way around as you stated but

It was touching the bungee ramp. The wings are so small and the way the servos mount the rod going from the servo to the alieron was rubbing on take off and one of the flights it stripped a tooth on the servo. SO i had to keep it clean on the bottom for the bungee ramp.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,277 Posts
i will except that
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:31 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,099 Posts
I was at a model flyin a while back and a mate had his HET F-104 there. Unfortunately he broke a part on his launch ramp, but came up with an alternative launch method

HET F-104 Starfighter EDF ROG (3 min 2 sec)
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
I tried that with my bungee first time around

I pulled back and let it slide on the grass but it did not work out, it got tangled up with the bungee. THe ramp worked perfect. I have enough power to honestly hand launch it with 2100watts. BUT did not want to take the chance. TRUST ME i wanted to handlaunch everything, I have countless threads on that. I did not want to risk the ROG because the intakes sit too low and a nice chuck of mud ball could easily get sucked and whamm there goes the fan
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:57 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
This is a nice change How about some closer pics and more details, like how you mounted the aileron servos, where you put the esc....

Roger,
The glider guys have been debating top vs. bottom controls for nearly as long as I can remember. I've been out of the game for about 10 years though and it seems top has prevailed. I still like bottom because it looks better when the plane is sitting on the ground, but I do understand the reasoning for putting it on top.

SC
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
I will take pics tomorrow.

I had to cut the belly of the plane and the intake tube to mount the esc in the intake. THE motor is a outrunner so the can spins and I did not want to put the esc in the thrust line. Now the ESC stays cool in the intake side.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
61 Posts
I've always wondered how an anhedral (droop-tipped) planform can be stable! Any ideas? (little words, please! :-D
Rutabaga is offline Find More Posts by Rutabaga
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:22 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I've always wondered how an anhedral (droop-tipped) planform can be stable! Any ideas? (little words, please! :-D
well, anhedral is for sure less stable then dihedral. but angled either way, wings provide lift.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:38 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Wing sweep is like dihedral, it adds some stabilty.
Anhedral negates that and makes jets more manuoverable.

Greater minds will explain the details but that's the quickie version.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:20 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Wing sweep is like dihedral, it adds some stabilty.
Anhedral negates that and makes jets more manuoverable
Some Starfighter Trivia, if I may:

The 104 is actually a bit of pig stability-wise without fully operational stabilizaton system. It also had realatively tiny ailerons, but even so they were restricted in movement to about half throw when the gear was retracted. Too rapid or too many rolls could result in "roll coupling" which was a wild ride!

My understanding of the anhedral was that it counter-acted the high center of drag that would be caused by the big T-tail resulting in very little trim change throughout the vast speed range.

Interestingly, the trim changed negatively [stick had to be moved aft] during acceleration from Mach I to Mach II. This was apparently caused by the center of lift marching aft about a foot or so during the run causing nose heaviness!

Sorry to bore you, Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Last edited by Sabrejock; Apr 03, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
I would love to see a 120mm EDF jet in this design

I think it looks really neat and very uncommon amongst many rc fields. I believe this would have to be the fastest 70mm EDF jet I have ever flown. I know this is going to be shocking to most of you guys on the board but I have a fellow member that seen me fly my jets and he actually wants me to maiden his super sniper. I was like wow someone trust me with their expensive jets . The people I hang with at our club are cool though, they know crashes and mistakes is part of the game so they dont really get bent out of shape if there is a mishap.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:30 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockshah View Post
I know this is going to be shocking to most of you guys on the board but I have a fellow member that seen me fly my jets and he actually wants me to maiden his super sniper. I was like wow someone trust me with their expensive jets . The people I hang with at our club are cool though, they know crashes and mistakes is part of the game so they dont really get bent out of shape if there is a mishap.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:34 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
the sniper owner just issued that jet's death warrant.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone