Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:41 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Contest
Fun Build 4 - erweiterte Ausgabe Guillows JU-87B Stuka 1155mm Wing Span

OK being April fools and all figured I would fool myself and give this enlarged Stuck a go over the next three months.

The genealogy of this set of plans stems from the amazing John Morgan and took a path through the island of Rode AKA another amazing builder Fuzz. Now that the "enlarged edition" (erweiterte Ausgabe) has made the journey across the Nutmeg state line I will do my best to make some wood match the enlarged print.

With my trusty laser cutter and debugged cad file………this bird should go together in a day or so, oh and with FPV system we will be tracking those screaming dive runs. April fools, I'll be lucky enough to get it to fly and maybe a drop-able bomb.

Formers and ribs have been copied and the cutting has begun. A change to the airfoil is in order and looks like I will need some more contest balsa. BTW what is the best way to estimate how much wood to order? I have a pile but I think it is going to go quick.

Anyway off to start the adventure.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:07 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
How much wood to order?
As much as you can afford!

As the local supply of decent wood has just about vanished here, I'll be ordering mine in the future too. I've noticed that mail order prices for contest wood is still cheaper than the crap at my LHS.

This one will compliment my little one.
With a 45" span you could drop my little Stuka like a bomb.

Signing on.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Apr 01, 2011, 06:18 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Is it that big? I have a tissue covered one on the wall that once was going to fly but I didn't think the gear was light enough. It is now. Watching this one too!

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:00 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Great choice Mark ,

I have the original in the box for a conversion someday !

-John ( eagerly watching )
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:13 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
911 Posts
Eingewählt auf die Frequenz jetzt, herr hauptmann. Viel Glück!

I don't know about you, Mark. You keep insisting on building planes with very odd looking airfoils and wing dihedrals. (Hmmm, I seem to have acquired a similar looking box in the closet.)

Very much looking forward to see how you put this one together!

Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:34 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,749 Posts
Mark,

This will be fun to watch!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:13 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,426 Posts
This one's a bit big, isn't it Mark? You seem to favor the Lilliputian side, I figured you'd scale it down to 6" or so. You're right, it will be fun. Watching and learning.

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Hey guys sorry for the post and disappear. Just wanted to get this in before the deadline and see if can put this model together in a short period of time. Action packed weekend, took my cub scout on the Battleship Massachusetts for a camp out. I had done this with my dad many years ago and it was really cool to see the same excitement in my son aboard these great vessels. When I used to go there they had a kingfisher on deck. It now resides down in Pensacola I believe. A much better home as it was rotting on the ship back then. Anyway if you are ever in Fall River Mass this is worth a visit. From an aviation stand point they do have a T-28 (now rotting outside), and a very nice Merlin engine on display. There are also three more installed on the PT boat in the Quonset hut.

Anyway back to the Stuka. Glenn LOL's on the little Stuka bomb drop. Your little bird really inspired me once you put some paint on her. I might go with the Cox CL paint scheme though. The bundle of wood I have is very nice. I replaced some of the Avenger wood with it and it is night and day compared to the ironwood. I used National Balsa and all came in nicely packaged.

Thanks Len welcome aboard. They have the #508 Stuka built up at LHS and it looks like a very doable micro conversion. Tuctronics just did this one and looks like it fly's well.

John, Thanks, and sorry for the deadline entry. I have the 1002 kit also that I would like to do someday. Oh all the models….

Chris, sounds like you have amassed quite the guillows collection. I will record as best I can on Stuka Werks

Thanks Steve I will be on the look out for that Hurricane. Might need to enlist Hans-Ulrich Rudel though.

Hey Jeff I needed something for my Tempest to play with. Not to worry the twin project is going on in the background.

On with my modeling Blitzkrieg!

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Now, how did I miss this one?

This looks like fun

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:57 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,184 Posts
Hey Mark:

Love to see you building an enlarged Stuka as your next project. You have been on a roll as of late! This is very close to the size of the Cleveland Stuka I built a few years ago. I need to check my workshop but I might well have a canopy and wheel pants for you!! Sparky had pulled an extra set for me and I would be happy to send them on to you.

I just flew the stuka again this past Friday and I can't tell you how nicely and slowly it flies with an Eppler 209 airfoil.

Let me also put in a plug for adding dive flaps and the bomb drop. Dive bombing is without a doubt the most fun you can have with this plane.

Love the pics of the batteship and your son manning the guns.

Best Wishes,

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter