HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Build Log
NE Free Spirit 220A Build Log/Modification Details

Hey guys, I figured since the tons of threads and pages on the 500sx helped me start to mod my freespirt 220A, why not return the favor to other current and future members by posting my findings with the heli and my mod path.

First just a quick background story and ill get to the good stuff. So basically my brother (Heli Biggie) and i about 1 month ago picked up the Bravo III and just had a blast with them so we bumped up to the NE Freespirit 220A ( the pod and boom version of the 500SX) just about 2 weeks ago. Both of us love modifying things so obviously we have already started tinkering with these things. We dont really know what we are doing but we read the forums religously and enjoy the fun in moding so here are just a few mods I have done to my heli and some details about each modification. Please keep in mind this is a work in progress....ill have pics and videos up very soon.

CURRENT MODS:

Canopy- (v370d019old setup) canopy or cb180d(used curently) canopy- Weight: 9g (after alterations) - Cost: $7.00 - Install: had to cut and trim body to fit, also made slots instead of holes where the body fits to the landing gear, this helps with not having to remove the landing gear everytime you have to pull off the body and mess with the internals. I also cut two slits in the side of the canopy to allow air flow through the body to cool the internals.

Battery- DualSky XP08002EX, 7.4V, 800mAh, 2S1P, 30C DisCharge, 5C charge - Weight: 49.1g - Cost: $15.12 - Install: Beleive it or not this beast of a battery fits inside the stock holder!- Velcro Battery Holder 1.5 x 1 - Weight: 1.6g - Cost: NA - Install: Buy Hook and loop velcro with PSA (presure sensative adhesive) and attach the hook to the heli, and add a matching size peice to each battery you have.

MAIN MOTOR- Xtreme SE180 Bearing motor (B)- Weight: 32g - Cost: $9.00 - Install: Direct drop in. Adds amazing power!!
-Xtreme 180 motor heat sink - weight: 2g - $Cost: 3.90 - Install: Snap that bad boy on! I have flown 1 hr straight and the tail is cool to touch.

TAIL BOOM- 5mm Aluminum tubing (lighter then cf tube) 290mm extended boom total length, I also used thinned then stock wire to take some of the weight out of the setup

TAIL MOTOR- xtreme lama Tail Motor Heat Sink - Weight: 1.5g - Cost: $4.20 - Install : Snap it on, adds a much needed look to the tail in my opinion. I have flown 1 hr straight and the tail is cool to touch.

SWASHPLATE- WAlkera V200Do1 Metal Swash and Arms - Weight: 7g - Cost: $12.00 - Install: Very straight forward jsut have to swap one of the balls for the pin, obvious once your installing. Also had to use one end of the new V200D01 arms matched with my stock FS220A arms to work. Very easy and looks amazing.

LANDING GEAR- Custom landing gear 5mm and 2mm carbon fiber tubing - WEight: ? - Cost: $2.95 - Install : Used a dremil and some engineering to fit and glue together some landing skids using Cf Rod and tube. Very Easy to do and you can make it any length or size you want. I also used coat hanger to be the link from the skids to the frame of the heli to provide some spring in case of a hard landing.

MAIN BLADES- MIA 500 SX Blades - Weight: ? - Cost: $12.99 - Install: No instructions were provided but I soon figured out that there are rubber washers that are used to creat pitch on the blades and these must be installed correctly to achieve flight. I basically had to test and tune a lot to get it perfect. The change in performance is significant. Not only is the heli more stable but also gained piro speed, FFF, and seems more reactive to inputs. (CURRENTLY TESTING AIRY HARDEN II BLADES.... AX-07's)

METAL HEAD- Skytec Aluminum Head- Weight: ? - Cost: $40.00 - Install: still In Progress...............

UPGRADED PARTS WEIGHT COMPARISON:

STOCK PART / UPGRADE PART
Canopy: 18.2g / 9g
Battery: 36.2g / 49.1g
Main Motor: 37g / 32g
Swashplate: 3g / 7g
Battery Holder 2.6 / 1.6g

WEIGHT OF HELI W/ BATTERY : STOCK : 168.2 / Modified: 170g

FUTURE MODS- Walkera CB 180 Head and Blade Grips, Flybar and paddle setup

NOTE: Im still touching this post up, ill edit it later with pics and the missing information I couldnt remember. Also flying impressions, plus weight differences between stock and modified parts Hopefully this will make someone else thats modding have an easier time.
HelicopterARMBAR is offline Find More Posts by HelicopterARMBAR
Last edited by HelicopterARMBAR; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: ADDED MORE PARTS AND UPDATED PICS!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2007
355 Posts
Thanks for the info...can't wait for pics!
MConstable is offline Find More Posts by MConstable
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:58 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,148 Posts
Canopy- v370d01 canopy- Weight: 9g (after alterations) - Cost: $7.00

He has not paid me back for it yet .haha
I have a cx2 swash on mine,works great compaired to the plastic original.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Apr 02, 2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spellin
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Canopy- v370d01 canopy- Weight: 9g (after alterations) - Cost: $7.00

We has not paid me back for it yet .haha
I have a cx2 swash on mine,works great compaired to the plastic original.
Oh I paid for it....I dont even want to hear that BS lol. I had to be different and get a the walkera swash, you know how little brothers are lol
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:10 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucuresti
Joined Mar 2011
69 Posts
big crack on Main Shaft plastic

Hi HelicopterARMBAR

Looking on the pics i see the big crack on Main Shaft plastic

Quote:
...before i notcied the damaged head...
Take care & keep posting

Regards
Mo
Heli_Mo is offline Find More Posts by Heli_Mo
Last edited by Heli_Mo; Apr 05, 2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
hahahaha good eye!! i was wondering if anyone would catch my CA fix Main shaft is on order along with a spare screws set (cant hurt) and will be here weds. I have been flying with a glued one here the last few days. But I have mainly been trimming and staying at low altitude. Dont want to take to big a chance. However My brother and i pride ourselfs on our cheep fixes we dont always trust them 100%

Cant wait to get up in sky with all the new parts.....thankfully the wind has been insane in atlanta recently anyway so the down time hasnt been too bad, I wouldnt be flying in these winds anyway. Hopefully will have vids of flight with all the new goodies tomorrow night if my parts come in and the weather calms. Low hovers so far have been awesome and extremly precise vs the sloopy "spongy" feeling of the stock, plus I love the new kick in the power, comes on much more agressively. Once i get her up into the atmosphere aI can really give her the gas and get in some long banking turns!
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
69 Posts
Enforce the plastic Head & Lower plastic Pins Before you mount it

Hi HelicopterARMBAR,

Never separate the plastic head from the metal main shaft !...

IT WILL BREAK !...
...ON YOUR NEXT FLIGHT !

NINE EAGLE FREE SPIRIT.wmv (3 min 53 sec)

Quote:
Main shaft is on order... and will be here wed...
However My brother and i pride ourselfs on our cheep fixes...
Before mounting !!!

1. Enforce the New plastic Head:

a. Unwaxed Dental Floss
b. Thin CA layer on the Dental Floss & Screws
c. Thin epoxy layer on top

Let it dry

Next Step

2. Enforce the Lower (& longer) plastic Pins with epoxy layer on top

Regards
Mo
Last edited by Heli_Mo; Jul 24, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_mo View Post
hi helicopterarmbar,

never separate the plastic head from the metal main shaft ! As it will break !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmbwwkhdye

enforce the new plastic head with dental floss and thin epoxy layer

regards
mo

brilliant!!! Thanks for the tip i will!
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Low hovers so far have been awesome and extremly precise vs the sloopy "spongy" feeling of the stock, plus I love the new kick in the power, comes on much more agressively. Once i get her up into the atmosphere aI can really give her the gas and get in some long banking turns!
Did you switched your Transmitter to Advanced mod?
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
yeah I love advanced mode, certainly makes you have all hands on deck super fun heli. Im still adjusting arms and stuff to get back to hands free hover since all the modifications. Having a lot of backwards movement even at full trim forward and what seems to be the full length of the servo arm....hmmm.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Having a lot of backwards movement even at full trim forward and what seems to be the full length of the servo arm....hmmm.
With the longer boom it'll get worse try to add some weight inside the canopy at the front

It seems that Nine Eagles are not the manufacturer check this: http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-hel...z-rtf/details/

I'll be away for 2 weeks

Have fun & keep posting...

Regards
Mo
Last edited by Heli_Mo; Apr 06, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Yeah thinking of moving the battery forward if I extend the boom. Doing a weight study right now on different velcro setups if I replace the stock battery holder. Also considering messing with some other weight reduction ideas, and maybe a new paint scheme for the blades. I cant stop! its just too fun.

PS: got much better hover last night....it turns out I need longer servo arms so Im looknig for longer lengths of the threaded rods, the rods I bought with the metal swashplate would work but they are only threaded on the ends and they are just a bit too long lol. Time for some custom fab'in
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
awesome stuff. do you have any vids of you flying? did the motor upgrade really help a lot? also where did you buy your canopy at?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
I am actually still trying to trim everything perfect. i have had some low level indoor flights at work but the winds have been bad in Ga for the last week. I hope to have some outdoor flights and videos possibly this weekend. The motor upgrade feels amazing its a completly different heli, Im a bit twitchy with it right now, still learning how to control the power and trim at the same time lol. Ill get back to you about the canopy.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Just added some new weight info to the build. Stock battery holder 2.6g , new velcro battery holder 1.6 every gram counts right. Plus i have been issues with forward flight so i want to push the weight a bit to the front and see how that works out.