HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by impostor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:55 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Discussion
Nintendo 3DS is awesome

I took a break from messing around with RC planes and helis for a nite to play with my new Nintendo 3DS that arrived yesterday.

Here are my first impressions of it.

I played with the 3DS for quite a while last nite. I’m very impressed with its technology and presentation. The 3D works great! Some people think that 3D means popping out of the screen like at some of the Disney rides, notably A Bug’s Life in Disney World Magic Kingdom. This 3D is like Avatar’s 3D. The 3D takes the 2D and add depth to it. Looking at the 3DS screen, it feels like you’re not just looking at a gaming screen, but you’re peering into an animated diorama. It immediately sucks you into the game.

Some people have issues seeing the 3D effects or they get headaches. Luckily, I don’t have them. However, I did notice that after 30 minutes of staring at the 3D screen, my eyes felt like they are crossed. It’s a weird feeling. I wonder if they were really crossed. The ‘sweet spot’ for 3D varies from person to person. There’s more vertical range than horizontal range. If you’re out of the sweet spot, the picture is all blurry. Luckily, the 3DS has a slider that you can use to adjust the depth of vision or turn off the 3D totally. Speaking of which, one of the parental control is to lock out 3D effects if you don’t want your kids to see 3D. That’s what I heard but I haven’t verified.

Some games have better 3D than others. For example, Super Street Fighter 4’s 3D battle mode shifts the perspective to an over the shoulder view. The fighting level is in 3D and looks amazing with fireballs flying at you. Nintendogs’ 3D is used to great effect on your dog. It looks life-like with depth and dimension vs a flat 2D animated image. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, a TBS game, uses the 3D effects in more subtle ways, enhancing the environment to give sense of scale and depth.

The 3DS has what Nintendo calls StreetPass. You have activate StreetPass for 12 apps or games to be active at any given time. When you are out in public, the 3DS is constantly “sensing” for other 3DS around it (100’). If it sees one, your Mii will travel to the other and vice versa, carrying simple information such as Gamertag, favorite game, a short message, etc... If you’re always passing the same people, you can set your Mii to carry a personalized message to the other person next time you pass them. Furthermore, StreetPass hooks into games. So if you have Nintendogs and you pass another person with Nintendogs, next time you walk your dog in the game, you’ll see that person’s Mii and their dog in your walk. If you have Street Fighter, when the 3DS sees another Street Fighter, it will activate an auto-battle between you and the other 3DS. If you win, you get a little trophy or something like that.

There’s a pedometer in the 3DS. When you walk, it logs your steps. For every 100 steps, you get 1 Coin. You can earn a max of 10 Coins/day, and 300/month. With the coins, you can purchase various things for in-game use or other downloadable contents. The full extent of Coin usage is unknown right now. This morning, I walked to work. Before I left, I turned on Nintendogs and told it that I’m going to take my puppy for a walk using the pedometer. I put the 3DS in my bag and by the time I got to work, I had walked 3000+ steps. That earned me a gift box inside the game. I haven’t looked to see what the gift is…

The 3D camera is awesome! While it’s low resolution, it does take pretty awesome 3D pictures. It’s really cool to have 3D pictures. Unfortunately, you can only view them on the 3DS. Although I hear that there are software out there that will take these 3D mpo files and make them into those flicker GIF images that simulates 3D…

This is just skimming the surface. There’s Augmented Reality cards that you use to play various games and such. I haven’t even explored that yet. All in all, I’m very impressed with the technology in the 3DS. The 3D did not disappoint! The games are good enough for launch titles. Super Street Fighter 4 is a must if you like fighting games. It’s absolutely eye-popping fun!
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts