HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Build Log
Genesis rebuild.

Hey guys,

I finally got around to beginning the rebuild of my Genesis after the last mishap with the torquey motor ripping the mount out & destroying various other parts along the way.

I've used two layers of carbon & one of kevlar to reinstall the motor & ESC mounts.
Cut a new flex drive from the remains of the length I got recently, new teflon liner as well.

Panel beated the rudder back in to shape & also the prop needed some careful attention.

I have since discovered a new issue. The gel coat on the left sponson has long cracks in it & when pressed from the inside they open up easily. I have no idea how this could have happened as it's only on one side & I haven't hit anything.

Anyway, I was thinking of pressing the cracks from the inside to open them & sealing them with thin CA. That's all I can think of to do to prevent the water getting in & peeling the gel coat completely off.

Not sure if you can see the cracks in the pics.

Any suggestions on the gel coat??

Also, we've discussed the bullet nut before & I don't need any comments on it, I choose to use it & also use thread lock. If I lose my prop then bad luck to me. Thanks. :-)

mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:11 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,441 Posts
By the looks of the photos the prop & rudder could still use a bit of attention.

On the gelcoat, if you have some I'd suggest just sanding it down and recoating then sand again. Thin ca can create more of a mess than you might think and it's a lot harder to sand than gelcoat is.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:25 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Where's the flex tube or brass tube. ? Has it been installed yet. It's good to get some of that CT and Kevlar around it as well. Hold it nice and firm.
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
The brass tube was never removed & the flex is sticking out the end of the teflon.

The prop was never physically damaged except for slight bending. The mark you see is where I held it to straighten it. As for the rudder........ehh, she'll be right as long as it turns!!

The gel coat is my main concern.

So, from reading your post Bill, I can buy gel coat?
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2007
459 Posts
I would open the cracks up with a hobby knife and fill them with epoxy, then sand smooth. Its on the underside anyways so you will never see the repair. After that I would lay some fiber down in to the sponsons too to strengthen them. If you use velcro to hold your batteries in place the stress from pulling the out can do that type of damage.

The tube on my Gen came out further than your, unless you cut it. I would be concerned with the cable whipping around at high RPMs and breaking something loose.
LOSIFIEND is offline Find More Posts by LOSIFIEND
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Hmmmm, ok.

Thanks for that & I'll look into the stuffing tube as it may have slid down.

Later peeps, bed time.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:22 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,257 Posts
Hi Mozzy.
The thin CA glue is how I fixed all the cracks in the bottom of the second hand Pursuit hull I bought. But once the cracks were filled, & this can take a few applications on some of them, I block sanded the areas smooth & then also the whole bottom surface of the hull with some 400 paper. Just enough to eliminate the shine on the Gel coat. Then I simply shot a couple of coats of Auto clear gloss over it all. Leaves a beautiful finish, but I always 'Scuff' the bottom of my hulls, even new ones, so I then block sanded the surface with 400 paper again to remove the shine.
The bullet nut is fine when you are using it as a lock nut like you are. As long as they are both nipped up reasonably tightly. It's just when they are the only nut holding the prop on that they become a problem.
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:00 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzyrocks View Post

I'm guessing you can. It's easily available here from places like West Marine. It's easier to sand than ca or epoxy either one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:38 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzyrocks View Post
The brass tube was never removed & the flex is sticking out the end of the teflon.

The prop was never physically damaged except for slight bending. The mark you see is where I held it to straighten it. As for the rudder........ehh, she'll be right as long as it turns!!

Mozz if you let that flex cable spin unsupported by a brass tube you will have more than a few cracks to fix. Bill had a photo of one that let go and smashed up his boat and it wasn't exposed anywhere near as much as this one.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
Mozz if you let that flex cable spin unsupported by a brass tube you will have more than a few cracks to fix. Bill had a photo of one that let go and smashed up his boat and it wasn't exposed anywhere near as much as this one.
Ok cheers, I'll have to look for a new brass tube.

Have no idea the size, but, I guess I just have to take the teflon tube with me to guage it.

I guess the more support the better.

Thanks for the respones everyone.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:06 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
Talking about this one Rusty?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327717
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Oooo, I see.

Definitely getting a new stuffing tube then.

What size should it be?
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,441 Posts
According to OSE, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rass-tb&cat=70 It should be 1/4" brass for .150 cable with stuffing tube.

OSE is really handy with specs on lots of stuff. You should check it out even if it is up here in the US instead of down under.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:42 PM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
That's it bill.

I couldn't find it hehehehehe

Mozz upgrade it too 3/16 will your at it and be done with.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:22 AM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
I've already upgraded my drive line.

This broke the first one I made & I'm lucky enough to have enough flex shaft to make another.

1/4" it is!