HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:16 PM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
328 Posts
That is outstanding. I wish you had the plans so I could build one for myself.
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:23 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdredd View Post
That is outstanding. I wish you had the plans so I could build one for myself.
you have access to the plans... well most of them. it's a slightly modified Shumate (JetSet44) Parkjet that's just been scaled up.

I had the plotter at my office make me a 161% version over the weekend (46" WS)

if i make it this winter i do plan to keep it prop driven, but i may mid mount it, rather than a pusher design.

Please Give us an update on your build!!!

Cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:42 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Fellas,
I am completely scrapping this bird and will use a few of the ply bulkheads when I restart the project..
The dep aero foam is not up to standard nd I have learned a lot about construction since I started this project..
I can make it much better and a lot lighter as well..
Trying to decide on 2 high performance 70's or dual 90's for power..Leaning towards the high output 70's as I am so pleased with the output of the powerplant in my scorpion..
2 of those in a raptor would be incredible!!
I plan to start the new airframe in about 2 weeks...Working on getting a shop setup in our place...will be nice to finally have my own work area....LOL..

Take care and fly safe................................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
that's a shame you're ditching this airframe/EDF project. I'm glad you've learned alot along the process, and i'm looking forward to when you pick up the new one.

i'm looking to start my winter project, 48"WS pusher or mid prop version of the F22. anything along the lines of construction strength and weight savings you'd like to share?

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
536 Posts
you came so far and built such a nice airframe..
You have learnt a lot but it would be such a shame to not to finish it even if its so heavy.
You can always fly it and have fun. We would all like to see it finished because finishing a project will also tell you all of your build faults as well.

Clint
JUDD-RC.id.au is offline Find More Posts by JUDD-RC.id.au
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Heya fellas...
I am getting ready to start a new thread here in the scratchbuild forum on the Raptor..
I found a design that I love and have already started drawing out all the parts..The construction will be completely different in that it will be a pure bulkhead build and it will be given the works!!
Dual alloy fans flaps,slats,retracts,vectors,,,,the works!!Very similar in size to the one I started here..Just slightly bigger is all..The hard part for me will be doing the ducts as it will be my first run at making them individually out of glass...Should be fun nonetheless..
Please stay tuned....................................Chris
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Great Chris, can't wait to see this one underway! W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
957 Posts
Look forward to seeing this one.

BTW... just noticed your in Wilmington. Love that area... graduated from UNCW 10 years ago and would love to move back if work would allow it. (its actually where my screen name comes from... we used to race muscle cars when I was in school.)
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Heya Wilmracer,
yea I have lived here all my life minus 4 years in the beginning...lol..
Cool place to live although the road planning left a lot to be desired..
Lots of different places to fly within 20 miles..

Hows it going Walt?
All is well here just been busy with the little one lately..Test flying of my little Viperjet is off the hook..That thing at half throttle is crazy-fast..And when you throttle all the way back it just goes and goes...Takes forever to bleed off and constantly find myself having to dive back down from altitude..I think I missed the elevator incedence just a little and it wants to climb a lot..That narrow airfoil just lets it go!!I took the Gyro out as it is such a stable flier and balances excellent with a 2200 3 cell...I cannot wait to see it scream with a 4 cell...Oh my god it is going to be crazy!!I did have a pro blem with it wanting to snap out at low speeds and was having a few handling issues not being able to turn as hard as I would like but I think I had a mix on the radio and that causes the 3 axis gyro to only work in stabilizer flight like for FPV flying and it will not allow abrupt changes..It looks like this may have caused all the little quirks..
Hoping to test it tomorrow without the gyro at all for the first time although I have disconnected different axis's to test for handling fixes..

I plan to start this thread tonight or tomorrow on the raptor..I'm going to take my time and do aa first rate job on this one for sure..Lookin' like twin
80's right now....with the works for the jet..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:24 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,786 Posts
Do you have the link for the new F-22?
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:56 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
227 Posts
Alright Chris! Can't wait to see it. Started on mine in the fall. Not much progress on the build as I keep contemplating on making glass ducting or full fuse foam cut with hot wire to do away with the weight of the glass ducting. I have all my bulkheads every 2" so if I decide to do the hotwire full fuse I can go that route.

My thoughts are doing a combination of both at the moment using several wood bulks where the retracts and edf housings will be. Then a few more wood bulks to beef up where the wings mount. I have a center wood box shaft to allow all wiring to travel through and give it strength for the gears.

Pictures here of what I have done so far. I should start a build thread so we can keep eyes on each others build.
Wings will detach.
Definately Flaps
Leading edge slats are in the plans but contemplating taking them out.
Rudders
Full throw Elevators
Dual 90mm's each on a (4000-4500)mah 6s pack (what I can fit in)
WS 55"
Length 76"
The hardest part for me will be making the canopy. I may need someone to do that for me.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Last edited by VIDEOPRO; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:19 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,153 Posts
I like the "spine" set up,very neat.
Subbed to these two before they even start
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOPRO View Post
Alright Chris! Can't wait to see it. Started on mine in the fall. Not much progress on the build as I keep contemplating on making glass ducting or full fuse foam cut with hot wire to do away with the weight of the glass ducting. I have all my bulkheads every 2" so if I decide to do the hotwire full fuse I can go that route.

My thoughts are doing a combination of both at the moment using several wood bulks where the retracts and edf housings will be. Then a few more wood bulks to beef up where the wings mount. I have a center wood box shaft to allow all wiring to travel through and give it strength for the gears.

Pictures here of what I have done so far. I should start a build thread so we can keep eyes on each others build.
Wings will detach.
Definately Flaps
Leading edge slats are in the plans but contemplating taking them out.
Rudders
Full throw Elevators
Dual 90mm's each on a (4000-4500)mah 6s pack (what I can fit in)
WS 55"
Length 76"
The hardest part for me will be making the canopy. I may need someone to do that for me.
Kieth Sparks can do the canopy, he is on the RCG forums.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Kieth Sparks can do the canopy, he is on the RCG forums.

Eric B.
Thanks Eric. I will make note of that so when that time comes I will have his name ready to call on.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO