SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2011, 08:00 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Thank you for the nice comment Frank!

Heres a few update pics..I cut away a lot of foam in the rear of the aircraft and replaced with wood..Will help support the Vector units and the 2000 watt 6s motors..Next up is the Next up is the Fan mounts and the hatch to access them...
Take care all...........................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
A little bit done..upper wing surface almost ready for skin..Place servos and linkages and hinge the aileron and flap...Working hard on the bottom now..Just having to take my time in making sure I have a place to add retracts and placement of servos for vectors..All looks to be OK at this point...It has been a good practice ship in preperation of building the big bird!!
Old May 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Looking real good, it won't be long now. Looking forward to see the maiden.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old May 18, 2011, 06:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
a little progress to report..

shows live hinges for elevons and skinning of the upper aircraft...I have not glued anything in place as I have to do servo placement first..
slowly but surely moving foreward..
Old May 18, 2011, 06:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
A few more pics...
more upper skin pics and also the control surfaces in the last pic..

Frank,

thanks for stopping through and posting..It's really nice to see some of you expert builders stop through as it gives me inspiration to try to do a good job with it...I have learned a lot about placement with this smaller bird and will do wonders when I start the 90 mm version..Will probably go a little bigger than I first planned with all the new high output fans coming to market..I cant wait...I have really enjoyed learning how to skin the surfaces of the aircraft..Never knew you could make depron conform so well to a mold..Thanks for all the help I have recieved thus far in this thread and through PM's.................Chris
Last edited by Hover or die; May 18, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 03:23 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
You are abselutly welcome. How is the build going any progress

Frank
Old May 24, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Moving forward slowly but surely...I will load up some update pics when I get a good internet connection..

ooooppsss....
those first 2 pics are of my next project...could not help myself..I wrote and was told it would be t least 6 months for the e- version to come out due to manufacturing problems so I decided to build one myself..
I also want to post up a few pics of this new foamboard...superstrong stuff......................Chris
Old May 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Here are a few pics of this strong foamboard..I will use this stuff for internal structure as it is unmatched for strenth unless using glass over foam..
Old May 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
It is allwas nice to have a "next" projekt, and thums op for your decisionn to build it your self. I think your pic's says it all, your idear with the foamboard is just great.

Frank
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
231 Posts
Come on Chris! Any progress or is it done and your just having such a good time flying the hecht out of it to post anything.

I have the plans enlarged and was trying to find the time to build a big F-22 myself. I decided to wait now and see how yours turns out. I have already made a smaller version that flys awesome and with that sucess I wanted to go bigger with dual edf's. At first I planned to use twin 70mm but since 90mm are now showing up more frequent I am thinking 90mm would be awesome. Good luck and I hope your sucessfull. Can not wait to see it flying.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:37 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
Here are a few pics of this strong foamboard..I will use this stuff for internal structure as it is unmatched for strenth unless using glass over foam..
Pray tell, where did you get this new super sKrong foam board?

It's not like 12mm or somethin?

Thx in advance for any input
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Pray tell, where did you get this new super sKrong foam board?

It's not like 12mm or somethin?

Thx in advance for any input
It is just artboard from a local craft store. That is the same stuff I used to build my 28.5" WS F-22. Although, I removed the paper from the board. They do sell it in sizes of 40" x 60" inches at a custom framing shop. I know they also have it in thickness' of 1/8" 1/4" and 1/2" thickness. They also offer it in blackcore. I used to do custom framing out of my basement at one time and still have access to my supplier that I used to purchase matboard and foamcore from. I used to buy it by the case of 10 sheets in the size of 32" x 40" inches. Yes it would be very strong if you leave the paper on the outside.
Last edited by VIDEOPRO; Jun 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I love using foamboard. I use it on all my builds and you can't beat the price for a buck a sheet at the dollar store. LOL. it's basically Depron with paper on each side and it's super simple to remove the paper. I soak the heck out of it using hot water in a spray bottle and just peel the paper right off. I like your idea of using a meter stick for the rear structure. that's called thinking outside the box. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
216 Posts
Hover, how's the F-22 coming along? Looking forward to seeing the finished jet!
JTGuthrie is offline Find More Posts by JTGuthrie
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:49 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGuthrie View Post
Hover, how's the F-22 coming along? Looking forward to seeing the finished jet!
Yes! Yes! I am waiting too! You must be having too much fun flying this already. Is that it!

Maybe he's been placed on duty over seas since he has not posted. We'll see!