HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
My 65" F-22 uses 6mm depron for most of the formers, with some strategic applications of balsa sheet and light ply or birch ply for high load areas like landing gear mounts and fan mounts.

I used Rhom Air retracts I think, they've been sitting for years. Normal size, like you'd use on a 60 size airplane.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
It looks like I am on hold for a few days..I bought what was supposed to be 9 mil depron and noticed when I started sanding formers to shape that it was too soft...So I call the shop and get the same ol' "I dont know"....duh!answer...Well its too soft and I'm pissed slightly...I should have recognized it myself but I thought it was jusr the "aero" depron...I am ordering some 9 mil from 1 of the online shops...should have it in a few days and will update at that time..Ed,
thanks for the answers..I really need to make a landing gear decision so I can plan accordingly..And on the structural strenth issue...I am building the battery boxes,fan formers,landing gear formers and other parts out of plywood...I also use a lot of carbon fiber to stretch the loads over a much greater area....Love the CF..
Thanks fellas for the tips as I can sure use all the help I can get...Please know it is appreciated...
Thanks.............Chris

Heres a few pics of where i was..You can see where I was building one of the battery boxes...under the canopy..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Apr 12, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
536 Posts
subscribed
JUDD-RC.id.au is offline Find More Posts by JUDD-RC.id.au
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
Actually the F-22 looks like another possible candidate for a pair of EDP's

Only one 3s 4500mAh pack, in my current 65" span 74" length jet.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:48 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
This will be a bad bad jet man!!!!!!!
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
Check Six!
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
Subscribed. I'm going to try my hand at scratchbuilding with depron soon so I'm eager to learn from this and other builds. Plus you're building one of my fav jets. Good luck!

Check Six!
Fox 3! is offline Find More Posts by Fox 3!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Knowing I would bbe on hold for a while getting supplies I decided to start on a 70mm version as practice for the big bird..Instead of using the same plan I chose to use techniques from several plans that I felt would yeild the best looking(scale)finished product.

6 mil depron with a little 9 mil thrown in in certain places..I plan to use a plywood spine down the middle on the bottom side of the fuselage..It will run right through the fan formers for a rigid build..I am going to use stuff I have around and will only have to purchase the motors for the fans(mine are wore out) and a gyro or 2..I have been looking at the 2000 watt motors that run on 6s for 68,69 and 70 mm fans...should be interesting to say the least..

I have a good little start and this should get me ready for the big build.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
OK...I made a little progress..Takes more time deciding my course of action than it does doing the building..I do not have the buld skillz most of you guys posess but am trying to learn as I go and do the best I can..
The upper wing surface will be built up with the bottom being sanded to make a slight airfoil so as to not be completely flat..
working on getting the ducting in front and behind the fans so I can then move to biulding up the top part of the jet..
Thanks to all of you builders for the inspiration..
Everytime I go searching through the site for build techniques I find so many more master builders..Far too many of you to list..
Thank you all!!!

I also wanted to mention that I am using a yard stick from local home improvement store for the aircraft spine..I am cutting out some of the inner structure to lighten the wood although it is light from the start..It is arrow straight and rigid..This will give me a solid support to build from for the fans tubes and thrust vector units.It runs from under the cockpit to the very back of the aircraft..Will be tapered at the back per scale lines..
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Here are a few update pics..I realize I am moving slowly but it takes me time to figure things out and would rather think about it a while than to have to backtrack..
1st pic shows the piece of foam I added to the fan former to support the intake ducting joining the fan former and where the skin will lay across the top..also made a small amount of process building up the upper wing surface.should make a little process today..
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
OK finished the intake duct last night..I need to add an anti-collapse former over the the ducting to keep the fans from collapsing the duct with heavy suction.The white you see is gorrilla glue not spackle..
This was actually my first attempt at heat forming depron and I love this technique..I didn't realize it was so willing to conform to the shapes you are looking for..very cool!
Please let me know how it looks so far..Like I mentioned all my building has been in profile foamie jets and this is the first builtup skinned jet for me...I love building like this...
A few pics to show progress..
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
If any of you guys stop through that can help with this please feel free to put for your .02
Thanks..
My problem is when test fitting my exhaust tubes and fans I noticed that with the intake ring in place it will touch the ducting with the inlet ring..will this cause problems with airflow into the fans?
You can see it touching at the bottom(which is really the top)when I hold the fan up to the exhaust tube..
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
536 Posts
Looking good! I like your work!
JUDD-RC.id.au is offline Find More Posts by JUDD-RC.id.au
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:29 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
That is one awsome jet you are building, looks great.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Thank you Frank. and thank you Judd....I am just a beginner but have a great love for flying and building..This is my first built up jet as all others have been the flat profile F22's and I fly em' to crumbs lol..literally..I guess I do not have enough post to PM yet as I have tried to PM you and a few others about build questions..
And also one to you about what you think would be one of the better designs for speed all power being equal...just a few that you think would slip through the air with the least resistance..

Thanks for stopping through much appreciated...
Old May 01, 2011, 06:07 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
I think you are doinig pretty darn good, and I'm sure it gonna bee a awsome jet.

Fly safe my friend
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Last edited by frank40; May 02, 2011 at 12:32 PM.