HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Jun 2010
114 Posts
Thanks medroller saved me some money and gets me back in the air.
Tester123CA is offline Find More Posts by Tester123CA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
Nicely done! If I broke mine which I hope not to do tomorrow, I'd fix her too!
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
218 Posts
The easymatch 10 I put in the leader has been cutting out a bit ( Electric dead stick). So I swapped it out for a motor which come out of a parkzone extra.
With the same 11by7 prop the power is down, but putting a 12by6 prop the watts are back up there. Have to have a few test flights and see how she goes.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
The easymatch 10 I put in the leader has been cutting out a bit ( Electric dead stick). So I swapped it out for a motor which come out of a parkzone extra.
With the same 11by7 prop the power is down, but putting a 12by6 prop the watts are back up there. Have to have a few test flights and see how she goes.
Watch for prop strikes
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:40 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
218 Posts
Ok, went out the field for a few test flys with the 950kv motor out of the parkzone extra.
First was the 12by6 prop ,plenty of power but she liked the electric juice, about 440watts at around 40amps.
Next was back to the 11by7 prop. There was just slight down on power ,but you really don't notice it enough to have an impact on your flying. And with about 360watt at around 33amp, she lets you stay in the air longer and the motor and speedie are only slightly warm. And I live in the tropics.
She is not a large plane so it's great to fly in close throwing her into cubens, figure8's,knfe edges,etc. Bluhammer, I was lucky and didn't have any issues with prop strikes, but I'm back with the 11by7 now.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
Ok, went out the field for a few test flys with the 950kv motor out of the parkzone extra.
First was the 12by6 prop ,plenty of power but she liked the electric juice, about 440watts at around 40amps.
Next was back to the 11by7 prop. There was just slight down on power ,but you really don't notice it enough to have an impact on your flying. And with about 360watt at around 33amp, she lets you stay in the air longer and the motor and speedie are only slightly warm. And I live in the tropics.
She is not a large plane so it's great to fly in close throwing her into cubens, figure8's,knfe edges,etc. Bluhammer, I was lucky and didn't have any issues with prop strikes, but I'm back with the 11by7 now.
Good choice! A lot of us fly with the same prop.
Blu
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
67 Posts
I just got a Leader 2 weeks ago, running a Headsuprc Power 46 Sport with an 11 X 5.5 APC on a 3S 2200 pack, and I love this plane! I've been flying my electric Kaos 40 for about 2 months, and the Leader feels very much like the Kaos, but honestly more stable. I'm most impressed by how much it slows down and how well it flies at slow speeds, I brought it to a park where I basically have a football field surrounded by trees to fly from, and it was so easy to bring in and land on the football field.

This is an impressively capable park flyer, a great plane to just grab and go to the nearest park to fly before the sun sets.
JayhawkJake is offline Find More Posts by JayhawkJake
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkJake View Post
I just got a Leader 2 weeks ago, running a Headsuprc Power 46 Sport with an 11 X 5.5 APC on a 3S 2200 pack, and I love this plane! I've been flying my electric Kaos 40 for about 2 months, and the Leader feels very much like the Kaos, but honestly more stable. I'm most impressed by how much it slows down and how well it flies at slow speeds, I brought it to a park where I basically have a football field surrounded by trees to fly from, and it was so easy to bring in and land on the football field.

This is an impressively capable park flyer, a great plane to just grab and go to the nearest park to fly before the sun sets.
Welcome to the Leader club!
The Leader is a great all rounder and always a hoot to fly.
With the tricycle landing gear, the landings are super easy and you can really fly her in.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,214 Posts
A .46 size motor in the 40 oz plane must just be a beast in the air .

Quote:

scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Oct 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
A .46 size motor in the 40 oz plane must just be a beast in the air .
The Kaos is a .40 sized airplane, not a 40 oz. It weighs about 6 pounds ready to fly, so it's not a beast, but it does fly well.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,214 Posts
your wording made it sound like you had the .46 in the leader .

Quote:
The Kaos is a .40 sized airplane, not a 40 oz. It weighs about 6 pounds ready to fly, so it's not a beast, but it does fly well.
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Oct 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
your wording made it sound like you had the .46 in the leader .
Ah, I see, I mistyped 46 when I meant 480
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
Nothing exciting to report other than my Leader is still flying great and the guys all comment on how great it looks. Lots of fun and real fun to land.
Blu
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Oh no, everytime I get a new plane the thread for it starts dying off?!
My Leader showed up Friday and looks great. I had been eyeing this thing since it first came out. Had some EDFs to finish up first, but now it's time for the Leader.
I picked up a BP 2814-8 to use since I have had great success with BP motors in many of my other planes. I figure I will start out with some 10x7 and 11x7 props I have on hand. I have just about every prop size made by APC from 9 thru 12" so plenty to trial and error with. Time to dust off the watt meter again!

Right now, my plans for this plane, after reading this thread, are:

-xtra magnet for the canopy
-cooling air for cowl
-CF rod for wing?
-wheels....mains 2.75" nose 2.25"
-plywood wingtip fences. Mostly for tip protection from the pavement...
-reinforce firewall mount Glue, triangle strips, etc.

I have all types of RC planes...hotliners, EDFs, helis, sport, pylon, twins, warbirds....just cannot make up my mind! The missing link has always been a "pattern" type plane. Takes me back to my 70's pattern days...Kaos, Dirty Birdies, etc. Glo-slime everywhere, tuned pipes, KRAFT radios on AM....oh the memories! I can't wait to fly this nice looking plane!!! My next favorite for aerobatics from my stable right now is my Electrifly SU-31. It flies aerobatics very well but is really more of a 3d type plane. It's the only plane I can knife edge and look like I really know how to do it!?!
After reading this entire thread.....that's really my only concern...the lack of rudder authority. Early on, guys where talking about possible rudder mods to help with this, but I don't think anyone ever did. Same with retracts, lot's of talk....where did all the old-timer Leader guys go?
How 'bout Buzz? He never got back saying how his plane did???? Where did everyone go? I feel so aloooooooone

Happy flying to all,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,914 Posts
I'm here! You bought a great plane. I look forward to your observations. I've never had a canopy problem, do beef up firewall and nose wheel area. Extra glue on wing bolt blind nuts too.

Blu