HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
To tell you the truth I thought the overall kit is of good quality. The build was also straight forward nothing unexpected. Just install the hinges, install your servos, motor, bolt on the wings, install wheels and glue on vertical and horizontal stabilizers. But I dont really know how to secure the battery, if anyone has any ideas.
danegerous is offline Find More Posts by danegerous
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danegerous View Post
To tell you the truth I thought the overall kit is of good quality. The build was also straight forward nothing unexpected. Just install the hinges, install your servos, motor, bolt on the wings, install wheels and glue on vertical and horizontal stabilizers. But I dont really know how to secure the battery, if anyone has any ideas.
There should have been some sticky-back velcro and a velcro strap in your hardware bag. The airplanes that I did the quality check on had them, and the spare hardware bags that I checked had them as well.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Thanks I had some spare velcro and got it squared away, but it was difficult to wrap the velcro strips around the battery tray. Just wish the wind would die down for the maiden.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Well finally made it out for the maiden a couple of minutes ago. And well it was definitely eventful. Now I wasnt flying at my flying field, but instead at a local school, but short story short I took off and everything was going well, a roll, hammerhead, so then I thought lets see how it lands. Come in on a left hand pattern, a little to low. The wheels clip the grass adjacent to the road where I land, I try to straighten it out but it just wouldnt, the right wing goes over the curb on the other side of the road hitting the aileron servo arm, ripping part of it off linkage. So all in all it was a learning experience, I need to fly this plane at my flying field. However the damage was minimal scraps on the prop and the loss of a linkage and servo arm.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
I flew mine last week. I have a Hacker A30-28S for power. Plane flew great. I had to move the battery back, since it was a little nose heavy. It lands nose high and touches down on the mains almost scrapping the tail. I flew it at an Industrial Park off pavement. I plan on putting a Power .10 in it to replace the hacker. Very satisfied with the plane's performance.
joefly is offline Find More Posts by joefly
Old May 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Yes I also had to move my battery farther back than expected. But when balanced right it is very fun to fly.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
I have been flying the battery about 3/4" in front of the wingtube. When I pull to a 45-degree upline, I roll inverted, and the airplane should track inverted by itself with no down elevator.

That's where I generally fly my CG on all of my airplanes. I'm glad you guys like it, I had a bunch of fun developing it and I enjoy flying it as well!
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
I guess there isn't much talk about this plane?
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:25 AM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
257 Posts
I am almost finished with mine. I hope to maiden it this weekend.
Here is a photo of the fuselage with a 3 cell, 2200mah, 45c lipo(nano-tech)
The Spektrum A3040 servos work great. This is the correct CG location for the lipo. I wicked a lot of the balsa weak spots with thin CA.
ggroyal1117 is offline Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:47 PM
pilot
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
I did the initial flight yesterday. Ground handling was impressive controllable predictable and had stability and authority in the turnaround.

As I rolled on the throttle, there was negligible tendency to yaw... less than any model I own. Now at 8/10ths throttle It ran straight as an arrow down the runway... and lifted off as I just began thinking about giving it some "up" it rose in a most scale like take off. .... beautiful flight characteristics, evident even in the first turn.

I put the ailerons on diff rates and toned them down to about 1/4 the possible throw which is perfect for toodling around a trim flight. Set the timer for 5 minutes using Hyperion 2200 mAh 3s...

flew it for 5 minutes at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Went downwind made the turn, allowing the rpm to spin down to 1/5 throttle... It settled into the most beautiful approach I've made in weeks, reduced throttle to 1/10th and airplane flared like the pilot inside had taken over.... the main gear touched then the nose wheel and superb ground handling became evident again.

Got more than a golf clap from the peanut gallery.... taxied back to the lane overhearing accolades regarding this little show off...... I felt like the airplane did most of it.

I flew it 7 more flights today some in less than perfect air.... with tremendous delight, and renewed enthusiasm for the whole hobby and especially assembling stick aircraft... because of how fantastically this one flew.

I had the timer set for 6:20 by the fifth flight and showed 27% battery remaining

Of course Im thinking about how to get more power to weight already. If anyone has suggestions about hot rodding without destroying the exquisite balance... Im all ears.

Photos to follow
Props is offline Find More Posts by Props
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:58 PM
pilot
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
Leader 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
There should have been some sticky-back velcro and a velcro strap in your hardware bag. The airplanes that I did the quality check on had them, and the spare hardware bags that I checked had them as well.
I DID have the velcro and strappage in my hardward kit. The battery tray is generous, and easy to secure the lipo... allowing for great latitude in battery placement. As well as solid attachment of battery and ease of use (no turning the plane over, no wiggling pinkies fishing in a tiny hatch opening.

The oversized hatch which I thought was a bit quirky at first (fastens in the back and magnets in the front) Is now one of my favorite features of the aircraft. With the hatch off you can adjust/switch battery easily and have voluminous access to all radio and servos with ease.

plus it looks really good with cow ad fuse
Props is offline Find More Posts by Props
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroyal1117 View Post
I am almost finished with mine. I hope to maiden it this weekend.
Here is a photo of the fuselage with a 3 cell, 2200mah, 45c lipo(nano-tech)
The Spektrum A3040 servos work great. This is the correct CG location for the lipo. I wicked a lot of the balsa weak spots with thin CA.
Props, what prop are you using if you are running the E-Flite 480, I have a 12x6 prop but barely get any ground clearance.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
dangerous,

The other prop that I tested on the Leader was an APC 11x7e, but I felt that the 12x6e was superior. Are you flying off of grass?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Sep 2002
57 Posts
My new setup for this plane is a Exceed Power 10 and a 11-5.5 prop. I'm using 3S 2200mAh 25C lipos with a CC 35Amp ESC. This combination gives me the verticle I was missing with my Hacker A30-28S. This plane is a real pleasure to fly. I have about 12 flights on mine and each one gets better.
joefly is offline Find More Posts by joefly
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefly View Post
I have about 12 flights on mine and each one gets better.
Same here. I really enjoy flying this plane, it just slices through the air.