SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Three lipos today and it was great. Did change the prop to 10x7 and found it easier and smoother to fly. Flight times seemed a little better and the lipos come down cool.
Better I think long term for the electronics.
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
I had a little problem with my Leader 480 today. While flying straight and level, the plane did a 45 degree nose dive into mother earth. Not sure what happen, I pulled the ESC, receiver, motor and servos from the wreckage tonight. I am planning on sending them to Horizon on Monday for a checkup.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old May 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
Oh man! When I saw that I felt so bad. I'm sorry your beautiful plane went down.
I'm flying mine tomorrow and that's a bad image to have. Hope you figure it out and let the rest of us know what it was. Good luck.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old May 20, 2012, 07:31 AM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
Blu,

What is worse, I drove over 2 hours to a hobby shop yesterday to pick up a new one which they had in stock. Started to work on this morning and found a hold down tab was broken in the right wing. An easy fix if I want to tear open the wing. I will contact HH tomorrow to see if they can help. In the meantime I putting this plane into a dark corner of the basement for a while to see if I can get rid of the bad karma I am experiencing with this type of plane.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old May 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Good luck on the build

I have been completely satisifed with my Leader 480+. It is my go-to plane. When the wind is blowing hard--fly the leader. First and last flights of the day--the leader. Chase other aircraft--the leader. I am amazed with this plane. I still have some roll coupling to get rid of, but I'm getting closer.
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Old May 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Had a fab day in the UK on Sunday. Very light wind and slightly cloudy.
Flew my leader 8 flights in all over a 4 hr session.

I'm really amazed at how little mah I'm putting back in after a 10-11 min flight. I'm not hot lining by no means but using the throttle a fair bit, rolls, loops, touch and goes. After 10mins on a 3000mah lipo I've used less than half. Amazing.

Still comes down cold with no heat at all. Club members are beginning to start asking a lot of questions about this remarkable little model.
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
Old May 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
I'm with you guys, I love this plane. I have 2 planes hanging on our home office wall, a FunCub and the Leader. My wife says it's the prettiest plane I have! The rest are banished to the garage.

Here's my question. I'm running an Eflite power10 and 2200mah 40c/3s batteries and I'm not thrilled about the lack of speed and vertical. I've tried APC 11x7 and 11x5.5 and both are ok but both make for nearly hot battery and 40A ESC. The 11x7 performs the best. Should I try a 10x7? I fly WOT1/3 or better of the time. Maybe I expected more performance with the P10. I get about 6 minutes of airtime.

Blu
Old May 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Jun 2010
114 Posts
Blu my Power-up 480 is very close to your power 10 specs. I have been trying different props with the same conclusion. Try the 10x7 see how it works. I like it on my motor but as you state, still wish I had more speed and vertical. So its a higher kv motor or 4S, I have a few other motors
I could pull out of other planes to try. Thinking that might the best course of action for me next.
Tester123CA is offline Find More Posts by Tester123CA
Last edited by Tester123CA; May 21, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,972 Posts
If you can't get enough vertical from this one, give the twist 3d 480 a try. Uses the same electrics and with a park 480 which should be less power than a power 10 will climb vertical all you want. Plus it will slow down to nothing if you want. I also have a minifuntanax which will do all the vertical you can use with a park 480.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
I checked out the spec differences between the two and looks like with my P10 the weight difference is about a pound or +300grams. That's probably the difference in performance.
I'll try the 10x7 and maybe one of us will come up with the magic motor!
Blu
Old May 22, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I checked out the spec differences between the two and looks like with my P10 the weight difference is about a pound or +300grams. That's probably the difference in performance.
I'll try the 10x7 and maybe one of us will come up with the magic motor!
Blu
I have a friend that is a much more experienced and much better pilot than I am that flies a minifuntanax and can make it do every trick it's capable of. He wanted to pep it up and tried a power 10 and said it ruined it due to the extra weight. He went right back to the park 480. But we do run lesser pitched props than you are. Looses some speed, but gets more power. I run a 12x6 on my 480 planes, and believe he runs something in the 4-5" pitch range.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
I'm with you guys, I love this plane. I have 2 planes hanging on our home office wall, a FunCub and the Leader. My wife says it's the prettiest plane I have! The rest are banished to the garage.

Here's my question. I'm running an Eflite power10 and 2200mah 40c/3s batteries and I'm not thrilled about the lack of speed and vertical. I've tried APC 11x7 and 11x5.5 and both are ok but both make for nearly hot battery and 40A ESC. The 11x7 performs the best. Should I try a 10x7? I fly WOT1/3 or better of the time. Maybe I expected more performance with the P10. I get about 6 minutes of airtime.

Blu
Maybe you just don't know how to fly ......
Grits is offline Find More Posts by Grits
Old May 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
Ouch
Old May 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Ouch
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.....

........Having a great time with the Leader and Fun Cub....How 'bout you?
My beefed up landing gear is really doing the job on the Leader...

After attending SEFF, the Polaris XL has really got my attention.....that's next.....

Andy
Grits is offline Find More Posts by Grits
Old May 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.....

........Having a great time with the Leader and Fun Cub....How 'bout you?
My beefed up landing gear is really doing the job on the Leader...

After attending SEFF, the Polaris XL has really got my attention.....that's next.....

Andy
Love em both! That Polaris is pretty interesting, looks to be the all terrain vehicle of aircraft. Do they have any photos of the inside?

Blu