Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Not Released Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
...All in all, I'm glad to see another plane become available.
Hopefully, it will be on the market soon but the latest E-flite information shows the release date being pushed back to mid-May 2011.

I really liked this clean sport/pattern design so much that I've got one on preorder. I'm looking forward to putting it together & then getting it off the ground. Will be using the recommended 480 motor, 40A ESC & 2200 mah 3s lipo setup with metal gear servos. I'm an intermediate flyer so this should be a good starting point.

Anybody else anticipating the release like me?
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
I like the look of it myself but wish it was bigger. I'd like to see them come out with a larger model as well. Something about 55-60".
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
I like the look of it myself but wish it was bigger. I'd like to see them come out with a larger model as well. Something about 55-60".
I was also looking at the E-flite Advance 25e. Larger wingspan, full length rudder & that love it or hate it semi-enclosed engine compartment. Not a pattern plane, though.

I'm kind of stuck on the smaller parkflyers at this point due to space constraints in the hangar...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:14 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
I saw the plane at SEFF. It looks like a nice little park flyer. I'm waiting for it to come out and see what others have to say about it before I pull the trigger on buying one.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:22 AM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
725 Posts
RCAV8TOR,

If you are looking for something closer to true pattern parck flyer, the Aeroworks Stingray is definitely an option. I had one and it was sweet little plane. In some respects, I wished that E-Flite had brought something to market that was a little closer to their Brio of years ago.

For the Leader, I did consider buying the plane and making a couple of changes:

1) Convert it to a tail dragger
2) Split the elevator so that the rudder can go all way

Just a thought,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old May 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I've started attaching the ailerons to mine. I think I'm going to gap seal all the surfaces just in case.

I've got 4 Hitec Hs-65HB servos. I'm going to have to lengthen all the servo openings for them to fit, but they have the same specs as the e-flite servos (which seem to be unavailable.)

Also, I've been wondering why e-flite recommends a 40 amp esc for a motor that only bursts to 28 amps? After looking at the plane I think I know why: There is very little airflow through the the fuselage. No cooling holes, everything is sealed. Is it possible they recommend higher Amp ESC to buffer for heat?

I plan to go with the new E-flite 30-Amp Pro ESC, I'll look for ways to get a little more cooling air across it.

I bought this plane because there is just something about its lines that I like. Sure, it doesn't look like any real full size plane, but it looks like it's going to be fun to fly.
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Last edited by johnm15141; May 14, 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,168 Posts
johnm. I'd go ahead and run the 40 amp option. i personally think that is only a 2S rating and will be derated at higher voltages. better safe than sorry.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old May 14, 2011, 09:20 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Where did you order your plane from? I didn't realize they are out yet. I asked about it at Joe Nall and they said they didn't bring one there to show off. Kind of dumb, IMO, they had one at SEFF.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I've used Park 480s in several other planes and when I "watted" the setups I never saw more then a 25amp draw on static motor runs using 3S lipos.

All those planes had good air flow through the fuselages (Mini Ultra Stick, Mine PulseXT, etc.) so I never worried and never had a failure that I didn't cause.

Summer's almost here and heat will be an issue. No airflow in the fuselage could be a problem so a larger ESC is probably a good idea. I'm still studying the layout maybe an entry and exit for cooling air may be necessary? To do that with out messing up the clean lines of this pretty little plane is what I'm studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
johnm. I'd go ahead and run the 40 amp option. i personally think that is only a 2S rating and will be derated at higher voltages. better safe than sorry.
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old May 22, 2011, 02:26 AM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
I ordered one from Advantage Hobby on Friday. I have the Spektrum A3040 servos and a Hacker A30-12M motor that needs a plane.
ggroyal1117 is online now Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old May 25, 2011, 01:00 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Where did you order your plane from? I didn't realize they are out yet. I asked about it at Joe Nall and they said they didn't bring one there to show off. Kind of dumb, IMO, they had one at SEFF.
Check your local Hobbytown. They had two on the shelf at the one near me.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old May 25, 2011, 06:42 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Check your local Hobbytown. They had two on the shelf at the one near me.
Will do. We have two of them here in the Charleston area.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
pilot
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
I just finished my Leader 480, and hope that the wind dies down tonight so I can "maiden" it tomorow morning.

The build was a bit tedious. Some parts broken (wing root) right in the box during they're part of the assembly. The wing bolting tabs were both glued into broken wing root ribs right out of the box, as was the fuselage floor aft of the 3rd former (very hard to reach to repair)
Also the nose gear control rod has to be re-routed or the binding is so bad you have no rudder.

The nose gear parts also bind and have to be sanded shaped and drilled so that they can move. You might as well know this BEFORE you assemble it.

Wow would I love to find a company with a little better materials, a more complete kit, and better attention to manufacturing and assembly details. I'd happily pay more to get those things.

the servos they reccomend aren't yet availeble. Got some hi-tecs with the same dimensions as reccomended and all the servo pockets have to be enlarged to accept the servos.

The manual is way better than the Chinese re-written ones. I would say the manual is quite good. Color photos or online videos would save hassel and frustration. but now I think Im just praying out loud or maybe some manufacturer is listening... I'd pay more for that kind support, if you're out there.

I do love the lines. There are quite a few LITTLE ITTY BITTY TINY LITTLE PARTS that are mission critical and you don't get any back ups.... so good luck there. you are likely to drop them on the garage floor and BACK TO THE HOBBY SHOP... Probably 6-10 trips to the hobby shop figuring stuff out.

It is VERY fragile, but Im told this is the case with many balsa and ply aircraft....

I love the lines and design so much that Im going to build a second one. I may regret that. And Im totally open to a

The reccomended 3" wing servo extensions should both be 6" servo extentions.

I'll probably build it stock and then put a power 10 in it. I'm not a fan of the e-flite servos after seeing the issues folks are having with them in the Carbonz Yak so I'll probably go with something from Hitec instead.

Wish me luck tomorow, wont you. I'll post how much time it takes to build the 2nd one.

Best,

Props
Props is offline Find More Posts by Props
Old May 28, 2011, 11:17 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
After much thought I finally picked this up at the LHS. I am very pleased with it and quite excited. After building this ARF for the last couple of hours it is now maiden ready. I am using the E-Flite 480 1020kv motor w/a 12-6 prop on a 40 amp esc. I hooked it up to my watt meter and at WOT it pulls 26 amps and about 282 watts on a 2200 mAh 20C, which is plenty of power for this plane.
danegerous is offline Find More Posts by danegerous
Old May 29, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi Dangerous,

Did you have any issues with the build or the quality of the construction/materials?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee