HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:45 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Hmmm. I stand corrected. That is good to know.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:58 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Hmmm...I have an Eflite RV9 with a Turnigh Plush 40a ESC and a Turnigy 3536 1100KV motor that may get confiscated.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:54 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
For those who may be wondering, Ryan took over development of the Leader when John Redman crossed over to the other side. He's a good stick with a pattern past history.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Question: I saw the video posted on the Horizon website and it appears to me that the plane does corkscrew as it performs a roll. I am wondering if maybe Ryan had the plane trimmed differently (aileron differential or something similar) so that it could fly the Masters sequence well?

I am really curious about the plane and if it is a decent baby pattern plane I would definitely buy one.

Thanks,

Teo
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
I was flying in the video. All that can be attributed to that is a poor maneuver and lagging rudder input. The other 12 that I did for video looked great, but didn't have a good angle for the camera.

Also, that was my first video, so I was a bit nervous. I imagine that there will be more videos of it at SEFF.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:56 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Ryan: Will you be at SEFF? Do you know if there's any planned demo flights for this plane at SEFF?
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I can understand the part about being nervous; I just flew my first pattern contest last year and flying in front of an audience is tough.

Teo
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
I've been flying almost 2 yrs now. I'd say I'm intermediate skill level.

I think the Leader480 looks like a nice plane.

Price at $110 doesn't doesn't scare me off, yet doesn't have be preordering one. You can get alot of ARF options these days for $100. Bigger planes too.

Colors are great. Contasting bottom colors are a nice touch.

I don't fully understand how tail design affects flight, but asthetically, the little rudder up high and pushed forward kinda makes me wonder how much effort will be required to knife edge. Don't listen to me on that one though...

I've never owned a trike, would prefer tail dragger.

The large top-hatch is nice.

Video shows a smooth flier and nice landing. I think most will be able to handle her.

Will I buy? No. Now that I'm flying at a club field (vs park), I'd like to stick to larger planes that can handle the wind better.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I can understand the part about being nervous; I just flew my first pattern contest last year and flying in front of an audience is tough.

Teo
Nah, that's second nature! And Zack, I will be at SEFF, and there will be demos of this airplane.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
I've been flying almost 2 yrs now. I'd say I'm intermediate skill level. ...

Video shows a smooth flier and nice landing. I think most will be able to handle her.

Will I buy? No. Now that I'm flying at a club field (vs park), I'd like to stick to larger planes that can handle the wind better.
Sounds to me like you ought to be flying a Formosa... if you aren't already. It was one of the first truly acrobatic planes I ever flew, and has the classic F3A pattern shape. In any case, it's a great "intro" to pattern planes, and cheap, too.

Oh, and it's a fabulous windy-day plane. Pattern planes slice through wind.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:27 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Seen this plane at this past weekends Toledo Show. Looked really good in person. I also talked to Ryan a bit at the show. Seems like a half way decent guy.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:23 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
Nah, that's second nature! And Zack, I will be at SEFF, and there will be demos of this airplane.
Hopefully one will be later in the week (Thu - Sat). I'll look you up when I get there so I can check out the plane.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Sounds to me like you ought to be flying a Formosa... if you aren't already. It was one of the first truly acrobatic planes I ever flew, and has the classic F3A pattern shape. In any case, it's a great "intro" to pattern planes, and cheap, too.

Oh, and it's a fabulous windy-day plane. Pattern planes slice through wind.
I was thinking UltraSport60 from GP...
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
I was thinking UltraSport60 from GP...
7 lb. airplanes are outta my league. My point was... I don't completely buy into the "bigger planes fly better in wind" argument. And Exhibit A for my argument is the Formosa.

In the "larger" pattern plane genre, there start to be more choices -- 3DHS Aspera or its successor, Hyperion Helios 25e, ElectriFly Sequence, etc. etc.

I'm no expert on big planes tho. Aspera is one of the biggest in my fleet. My heaviest is right around 4 lbs.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
We're getting a little off topic here...I'll send you a PM.

All in all, I'm glad to see another plane become available.