HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
I would venture to say it's your ESC timing. If you throttle up too quickly, it can exacerbate it.

I'm glad you're enjoying your airplane!
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
That sounds very possible as it happens only when I throttle up quickly. I'll look into my ESC settings. Thanks, wonderful job on this bird, it's my favorite and it is getting tons of compliments where I fly.

EDIT: Another question, what flight times should I be getting out of a 2200 battery using a 480 motor? So far I'm running ~8 minutes before landing, but I have no watt meter so I don't know how much charge is left in the batteries.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Last edited by PepeM; Jul 18, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:30 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
I get that squeeky sound on throttle up too. Can the ESC timing me changed?

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Most of the time, yes. With the E-flite controllers, you set the throttle to full when you plug in the battery and this will enter the ESC into programming mode. From there, it is a series of moving the stick to different positions in response to tones that the ESC makes to change the setting you want. You will have to look at the instructon manual for each controller for their specific method.

I know Castle controllers can be attached to a computer and settings changed that way with their Castle Link, but I think they are among the only controllers that can do that.

Pepe, I normally fly for 7 minutes. It depends largely on how hard you are on the throttle. Do you have a charger that reads back how many mAh you are putting back in? That is more important than the voltage at the end of a flight. As long as you are not running it until the voltage cutoff on the ESC (which it sounds like you're not), you should be fine.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Before trying to mess with ESC timing PLEASE remote the prop. I have the scars to show what can happen if you don't.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Checked my ESC timing, it was already on low. I guess I'll just have to go softer on the throttle. My charger is really crappy, can't read how many mAh are put in. Today I flew for ten minutes and it was ok, I'm usually pretty conservative with the throttle. I'll stick to ~8 mins flights anyway, just in case.

From all the takeoffs and landings from the grass my landing gear is all bent backwards now.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:52 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
I get the funky screech whether I throttle up slowly or quickly... what are the timing settings (low medium high?) and what do they do?

KKKKFL
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:58 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
I'm getting better, but still need to get comfortable with the flaps. Here I've done a touch and go and headed for a go-round with flaps still down:

KKKKFL
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
I flew this morning in pretty windy conditions and it handled it perfectly. I was worried about the landings but it was no issue at all, I greased all my landings.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
United States, IL, Scott AFB
Joined Sep 2004
316 Posts
How "windy" is windy? What is your setup?
DWS is offline Find More Posts by DWS
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
It was about 10mph winds, at least that's what weather.com said. I'm using a 480 motor with a 30amp esc and 2200mah 3 cell batteries.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:50 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
The most common cause of a squealing motor is using too much propeller - something RC flyers love to do. Most ESC's are timed right. See if it calms down by putting on a smaller one. I've also experienced squealing due to tired batteries. Try a newer one.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,277 Posts
Screeching is a timing issue. If you are using low timing try mid timing or high timing.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Oh cool. I'll try mid or high next time as it is getting really annoying.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,473 Posts
I'm not an ARF guy but this model is falling together real nice. What was nice is the horizontal and vertical stab were spot on 90 degrees to each other when first inserted. Sot it was just cutting the covering and installing with no fidgeting needed.

Question...
I'm just going stock with what was supplied for now and did notice the installed p/ushrods are just a tad loose in the supplied horns. I normally fly glo / heavier models and am used to setting up no slop/tight connections so is this normal / will it be a problem? It's just a quite small bit of movement but I wonder if it could be a cause of flutter.

Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin