SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:09 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Idea
ThermalPlex Small 30" DLG Design Concept for Spektrum AR6400L Collaborative Work..

Looking for individuals to work with on this.

Here's what I have so far.

I already CNC machined some plugs. Would be great if I can find someone who would be interested in taking care of the composite side of things, as I only have energy to do the CAD and the CNC stuff..

Would be great to find others within 25 miles of LA to work on this with me..

The Plugs can me machined again if the material I used isn't going to work out. I used a very dense foam to create plugs and may need advice on how to go about some of this..

Would like some airfoil suggestions. if anyone can recommend any.

Would like to make this a collaborative effort.. for fun..

Robert
RobertTHaas is offline Find More Posts by RobertTHaas
Last edited by RobertTHaas; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: ADDED MORE PICTURES
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:19 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
I invite anyone from anywhere to participate on this. Weather its constructive criticism or anything anyone can think to contribute.. im posting the CAD files and Ill be happy to post more.. I dont care if you use them, and i dont care if you use the cad files to make your own cnc plugs/molds, to sell the glider or modify and sell it.. whatever.. no rules allowed..

Robert
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hamilton New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
pdf is blank??

HI robert I downloaded your pdf posted here but when i opened it there was nothing there? could you post again?

thanks chris
krisch is offline Find More Posts by krisch
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:13 AM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
This is a 3D PDF, is your adobe PDF reader up to date? i tried a different computer and it seems to work but not as well as on my home system.. ill re-upload it tomorrow, hopefully start to work on the wing as well.. its location. i may need some help in choosing airfoils as well as know a very accurate angle of attach for the main wing.. some suggestions on what might be the best way to mount the wing.. Im changing the wing span to 32".. so well have to make sure we get the wing loading just right.. id prefer to have a slightly higher wing loading because, anytime Ive made stuff to lite, it just doesn't have enough perpetration.. I guess being able to easily add and remove ballast would be the answer.. i've been out of the DLG loop for a while so, feel free to clue me in on any advances..
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hamilton New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
pdf update

HI robert i updated my pdf reader and now it works fine,cool looking plane.
by the way are you still selling your thermalspec micro stuff?

chris
krisch is offline Find More Posts by krisch
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,310 Posts
I can't help with the work, but a BNF DLG seems pretty cool!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:30 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Robert,

Looking good. My PC (high end desktop used for gaming and cad work) stuttered a bit with the PDG but managed to open it.

Airfoil: Anything this size is going to Reynolds number limited. Gerald designed some new polyhedral foils that haven't really been tested (PolyHot and PolyMild) but I think they were intended for larger wings and thus higher Reynolds numbers. Maybe the indoor guys have some ideas?

Tails: Noticed they are missing! If you need some assistance in designing them, let me know, I'm pretty good at stability and controls.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:42 AM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
cad file updates

just cad file updates
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:55 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
CAD MODELS OF SPEKTRUM AS2000L - AR6400L - E-FLITE 150mAh LIPO

CAD MODELS OF SPEKTRUM AS2000L - AR6400L - E-FLITE 150mAh LIPO

HERE ARE SOME DECENT QUALITY CAD MODELS I MADE OF SOME OF SPEKTRUM'S PRODUCTS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE MIGHT FIND USEFUL FOR OTHER PROJECTS AS WELL.. ENJOY..

ALL SHOULD BE IN INCH, IGES, STEP, DXF, STL..
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:16 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
In regards to thermal spec micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisch View Post
HI robert i updated my pdf reader and now it works fine,cool looking plane.
by the way are you still selling your thermalspec micro stuff?

chris
I had hold backs in terms of trying to figure out a decent pod design that would not take lots of time and energy to make, because i wanted to keep the cost of the kit down.... this pod I've posted here, is similar and the answer I came up of with, thinking Id solve the pod design problem, in terms of cost efficiency.. The problem of making a glider kit that was decent and affordable, was a bit tricky.. i guess i could continue that project.. its just hard to find people to help make it happen.. as id need to pay them as the money comes in.. so if anyone wants to help make pods and parts for the thermalspecmicro, id probably be able to get that going again.. also would need help with instruction booklet and all those little details.. i can take care of the CAD and the CNC plugs, but I had trouble finding people to help..
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:24 AM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
CURRENT Area = 131.718035 (+/- 1e-07) square inches

What would be the ideal wing loading for something of this size.. What would be the ideal wing area as well?
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:44 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,666 Posts
It's comparable to the first Apogee's that Mark Drela built. They were 30 inch spans and weighed about 2.75 ounces. His 40 inch version weighed 4.2 ounces and had a wing loading of about 3.1 ounces per square foot. I've flown a 40 inch version and it's impressive. It's light but has no trouble penetrating the wind at all. Coming back from a downwind thermal is not a problem. Yours is just over 1 sq foot, so if you can get it to weigh 2.75 ounces, call it around 2.5oz/sqft and roll with it. It should be interesting.

Edit: Oops, I should have said just under 1 sq foot, so figure a little more than 2.75oz/sq ft. Should still be a nice little flyer.
Did you mention what airfoils you would use on the wing? I'd say try the AG03.
I have no experience with the Zone foils, but folks seem to like them.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Last edited by Hossfly72; Apr 04, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:32 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Free CAD Files

new design.. much more complex.. here are the CAD files for anyone who is interested...

email me or give me your email address in the P.M. if you want me to send you a link to the CAD files...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Any suggestions?

so, i casted these out of plaster.. anyone know of any threads showing molding being done with plaster?