Old May 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
Here is the video of mine with the new board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF6Eiq0gD68
They look very stable in either mode. Awesome.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 12:34 AM
AP fan, still learning
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Jul 2009
68 Posts
Some dispatches from the noob department:

I disassembled the quad arms and brought it in a padded suitcase from San Francisco to Colorado, and it worked out pretty nicely with the TSA (they asked me "is it a toy?" and I had to stifle any snide remark). At the CO airport they took an explosives test strip to the case, but that was about it.

I'm still having a hard time getting it to fly as easily as I see others doing it, and I blame a good portion of it on being still new to quads. The board I have is the "older" one, though I don't see why it can't perform well. Indoors, I can't get it to stay in position even at about 4-5ft off the ground, and I try to trim my transmitter settings while holding the quad at that level. I try not to be too touchy with the controls, but at this point all I want is it to stay at a certain spot without going anywhere.

Outside, well, let's just say I ordered 4 pairs of new props. I made sure all the calibration settings were good even in the GUI. We'll see how it goes this weekend. The fact that the propellers were the only casualty speaks very highly of the frame.

Warning: a bit of a loud voice here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ISNdPWhb0
riverguardian is offline Find More Posts by riverguardian
Last edited by riverguardian; May 14, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Great video.

Looks like it was in stable mode on takeoff right? If it was, it looks like it is out of trim. Looks like it was drifting back. Disarm motors-full left stick-bump right stick forward about 3 times, arm, fly. Redo if needed. Don't use stable mode and see what it does. Trim with transmitter trims. Make small corrections on the sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguardian View Post

I disassembled the quad arms and brought it in a padded suitcase from San Francisco to Colorado, and it worked out pretty nicely with the TSA (they asked me "is it a toy?" and I had to stifle any snide remark). At the CO airport they took an explosives test strip to the case, but that was about it.

I'm still having a hard time getting it to fly as easily as I see others doing it, and I blame a good portion of it on being still new to quads. The board I have is the "older" one, though I don't see why it can't perform well. Indoors, I can't get it to stay in position even at about 4-5ft off the ground, and I try to trim my transmitter settings while holding the quad at that level. I try not to be too touchy with the controls, but at this point all I want is it to stay at a certain spot without going anywhere.

Outside, well, let's just say I ordered 4 pairs of new props. I made sure all the calibration settings were good even in the GUI. We'll see how it goes this weekend. The fact that the propellers were the only casualty speaks very highly of the frame.

Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old May 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Nice job. Looks like the ground finally dried up for ya. How much wind did you have? Seems pretty stable buy noticed a good drift at first. Are your PID settings much different from the old board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Another one of the new board. Most of this is in auto level only. I used the baro and mag a few times but wanted to play with the PID settings etc. I think I'm putting it back to what I had before. Still wasn't too bad. GoproHD and zippy 3s 2650 40c battery. Got over 10 mins of this on the one battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6YF4JnPQs
Old May 14, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
TC3WINS,

In your video when you say sensors engaged, is that stable mode only or is it Baro and heading?

Nice job on the video.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,159 Posts
It is all the sensors together
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old May 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:

warning: A bit of a loud voice here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49isndpwhb0
"when quads attack grammas!"
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; May 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
Deutschland, Bayern, Gochsheim
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
Quote:

Was that the Pilot screaming or an innocent bystander ???

Yeaj looks like a TRUE KILLER BOARD .... litterly LOL
wolfes1126 is offline Find More Posts by wolfes1126
Old May 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Nice job. Looks like the ground finally dried up for ya. How much wind did you have? Seems pretty stable buy noticed a good drift at first. Are your PID settings much different from the old board?
14 mph winds. Changed default settings to ones on the old board. Not liking the settings am going to have to play with it more. Different animal so it's like starting from square one finding the good combo. Will spend the day doing this since rain for 5 days starting tomorrow. Also now is riding time.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old May 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Busy day for me too. Perhaps we can chat this weekend via FB or Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
14 mph winds. Changed default settings to ones on the old board. Not liking the settings am going to have to play with it more. Different animal so it's like starting from square one finding the good combo. Will spend the day doing this since rain for 5 days starting tomorrow. Also now is riding time.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
So Baro still up-and-down a bit I see in the code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
It is all the sensors together
Old May 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Nice scream. LOL It's going to take you some time. Doesn't come overnite unless you've flown heli's a lot etc. I don't get it to stay in position either. If I do it's for a short time. I've also been thru several props. Biggest thing is to not give up. It's gonna be a challenge for a while. Been dealing with 10-15mph winds here lately. So as a newbie if I can fly in it don't be afraid if it gets over 9mph. Just don't go as high so you can keep it in control more. Keep adjusting your trims. Seems like the old board need more adjustments than the new one. I got to the point I had no problem lifting off in stable mode on the old board. Maybe try that for a while and being so new you got too little space in that garage. LOL as you found out.

Quote:

Old May 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Busy day for me too. Perhaps we can chat this weekend via FB or Skype.
Probably after supper. can
Old May 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
AP fan, still learning
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Jul 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfes1126 View Post
Was that the Pilot screaming or an innocent bystander ???

Yeaj looks like a TRUE KILLER BOARD .... litterly LOL
Voice of an innocent bystander I'll definitely try the right stick bump trimming in addition to the transmitter trimming.
riverguardian is offline Find More Posts by riverguardian
Old May 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Voice of an innocent bystander I'll definitely try the right stick bump trimming in addition to the transmitter trimming.
learn to fly with all sensors off.... and TX trim only.... worry about auto level and board trimming later... auto level doesnt = easier flying
in most cases you will never even use these other sensors... there like keeping up with the Joneses....
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks