HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek View Post
Finally got to weigh my HT-FPV at last - it tips the scales @ 1.09 Kgs with a 5.8Ghz Tx on board and nothing else. That explains a lot as it's going up with a battery and cam at about 1.5~1.6Kgs. No wonder she likes 10" props and 4S batts! I'm guessing the 450's are more like 750-800g's no batt?? Anyone weighed their WS 450 naked (as it were)?
I weighed mine a while ago -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertikar View Post
My witespyquad with quadrino gps, spektrum tm1000 + spektrum gps weighs around 860.
Vertikar is online now Find More Posts by Vertikar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
76 Posts
Quadrino motor cables melted/smoked.

So I just powered up my witespy after finally rebuilding after a crash a month or so ago, and it started smoking. Previous to this I had fully tested it without battery power via usb and everything seemed fine.

It seems there's a short somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
Basically it melted the negative wire from the ESC to the Quadrino and took the positive wire with it too.

Powered up the Quadrino after disconnecting it from the ESCs via the USB afterwards and it was fine.
Powered up the ESCs via the battery after I'd disconnected them and they also seemed to be fine, so I'm a little confused as to what went wrong.
Any ideas from anyone?

I think now though I'll get a seperate BEC and power the Quadrino and Rx from that, as the ESC was getting a bit warm when it was waiting for a GPS lock previously.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 AM
Jon
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
I think now though I'll get a seperate BEC and power the Quadrino and Rx from that, as the ESC was getting a bit warm when it was waiting for a GPS lock previously.
Sorry to hear about the smoke.

I've been thinking of making that change to mine as well. I can't say I have noticed the ESC's getting warm while waiting for GPS lock, but not sure I've checked either. I'll be interested to know specifically how you wire it, and how it all turns out. I'm going to need to take some stuff apart soon (to add some lights) on mine so I might make these changes at that time as well. Pictures appreciated if you have the time.

Good luck.
jspieker is offline Find More Posts by jspieker
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Hi guys

I have been running my quadrino flip straight out of the box fine for a couple of weeks.

I had a crash, fixed and replaced the prop.

Now my quad fly's forward and to 1 side. If I heavily adjust the the trims u can fly it but onceiI flick it to 'acro' mode from auto level it is to much out of wack to fly.

How do u fix something like this?
Specialkay is offline Find More Posts by Specialkay
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:48 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkay View Post
Hi guys

I have been running my quadrino flip straight out of the box fine for a couple of weeks.

Now my quad fly's forward and to 1 side. If I heavily adjust the the trims u can fly it but onceiI flick it to 'acro' mode from auto level it is to much out of wack to fly.

Have you checked very screw on the machine for tightness and that non have vibrated loose? Check that you didnot bend a motor and/or prop adapter. Hope this helps a little.
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Thanks Vertikar, that sounds right - those 200'odd g's makes a real difference. I should have said my HTFPV had Naza/GPS and AR8000 & TM1000 on board as well.

J

Quote:
I weighed mine a while ago -
thegeek is offline Find More Posts by thegeek
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
It sounds obvious, but I missed it once - make sure all your motors are vertical and on the same vertical axis relative to each other (and on the horiz. plane). I had a tab pop out on the motor mount and didn't pick it up straight away.

J

Quote:
Hi guys

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Forgot to say, check the heatshrinked wires where they enter each motor to make sure they are not loose or moving around and nice and snug (not damaged from the accident). Another thing I didn't pick up once and it gave me some huge frights before I thought to check it.

J

Quote:
Hi guys

Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2008
208 Posts
I'm looking to order the flip quad i already have a 450 with naza but my question is do I just order the flip quad stock or is it a good choice to upgrade the motors or the flight controller I just want to bang around and get more stick time....also do they come with led light installed?
o2begrn is online now Find More Posts by o2begrn
Last edited by o2begrn; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
United States, CA, Manhattan Beach
Joined Mar 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
It seems there's a short somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
Basically it melted the negative wire from the ESC to the Quadrino and took the positive wire with it too.

Good idea!

Adding a separate switching UBEC is essential, if you want to add non-trivial 5V devices to your stock Witespy quad!

With a 3S lipo, the linearBECs on the stock Witespy ESC's (Turnigy Basic 18A) will supply only about 200mA without overheating. Which doesn't leave much current for additional add-ons.

For example, the Quadrino GPS alone typically draws 160mA; and can draw 200mA while seeking.

So do the math :-)

I posted additional info here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806047

And while I'm on the subject of "lessons learned the hard way":

Don't use a heavy-gauge wire when a light-gauge wire will suffice.

That saves weight; sure. But much more importantly, if it's ever part of an unexpected short-circuit, a thin wire will melt -- like a fuse -- and cut the power before it can damage other components.

I think I read that somewhere.
markj99 is offline Find More Posts by markj99
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj99 View Post
Good idea!

Adding a separate switching UBEC is essential, if you want to add non-trivial 5V devices to your stock Witespy quad!

With a 3S lipo, the linearBECs on the stock Witespy ESC's (Turnigy Basic 18A) will supply only about 200mA without overheating. Which doesn't leave much current for additional add-ons.

For example, the Quadrino GPS alone typically draws 160mA; and can draw 200mA while seeking.
I picked one up today - http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html#
Haven't wired it up yet though.

I think the BEC in the ESC maybe fried though, either that or the VREG on the quadrino, as I hooked up the battery straight to the VIN on the quadrino and it would boot and get everything going, but die after a while, and my TM1000 was reporting low voltage until it shutdown.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
I picked one up today - http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html#
Haven't wired it up yet though.

I think the BEC in the ESC maybe fried though, either that or the VREG on the quadrino, as I hooked up the battery straight to the VIN on the quadrino and it would boot and get everything going, but die after a while, and my TM1000 was reporting low voltage until it shutdown.

What battery are you hooking straight to the VIN?
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:07 AM
United States, CA, Manhattan Beach
Joined Mar 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
I hooked up the battery straight to the VIN on the quadrino and it would boot and get everything going, but die after a while, and my TM1000 was reporting low voltage until it shutdown.
I have no idea what's going on there. So here are some random useless thoughts.
  • See if the quad still works when powered via the USB connector, to help eliminate board failure as a cause.
  • After any rewiring, it's a good idea to measure the impedance on the quad's battery connector before you connect the battery. It should be over about 1K ohms, and climb higher as the capacitors charge.
  • Watch out for the TM1000 transponder! It can bite you if you aren't paying attention, because the voltage sensor wire connects directly to the battery. I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you accidentally swapped the leads, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be pretty!

Good luck!
markj99 is offline Find More Posts by markj99
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
What battery are you hooking straight to the VIN?
Just a 3 cell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj99 View Post
I have no idea what's going on there. So here are some random useless thoughts.
  • See if the quad still works when powered via the USB connector, to help eliminate board failure as a cause.
  • After any rewiring, it's a good idea to measure the impedance on the quad's battery connector before you connect the battery. It should be over about 1K ohms, and climb higher as the capacitors charge.
  • Watch out for the TM1000 transponder! It can bite you if you aren't paying attention, because the voltage sensor wire connects directly to the battery. I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you accidentally swapped the leads, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be pretty!

Good luck!
Thanks, already confirmed USB works, did that straight after to see if it was still alive. It also seems to work ok without the ESCs and Receiver hooked up.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
GPS wont turn on

Help... I have had my witespy 450 quad with a quadrino fcb and a 12c ublox gps for 2 weeks with about 10 flights.. I have ACC working and have set BARO and MAG. but havent tested mag in the air.. i cant get my GPS to turn on in the multiwiiconf ... Nevermind fixed..........
mtbfltlnd is offline Find More Posts by mtbfltlnd
Last edited by mtbfltlnd; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: fixed