SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Fpv out flew my transmitter...quad fell from about 300'....only damage, all 4 landing feet shattered and one broke prop. All said, it's more frustrating than anything, but am happy it didn't land on someone or something.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360517906.412689.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 59.3 KB
Description:
The sky while fallingName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360517930.094195.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 36.4 KB
Description:
code74 is offline Find More Posts by code74
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by code74 View Post
Fpv out flew my transmitter...quad fell from about 300'....only damage, all 4 landing feet shattered and one broke prop. All said, it's more frustrating than anything, but am happy it didn't land on someone or something.Attachment 5525103
The sky while fallingAttachment 5525104
Thats not to bad from 300 feet
RocketIII is offline Find More Posts by RocketIII
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketIII View Post
Thats not to bad from 300 feet
Not at all....these things are well made and very sturdy. More upset that it broke at all..... Lol hate repairs when I had more flying that I wanted to do, but oh well. At least I found it and it didn't hit anything or anyone. My one thought is that the 2.4 spectrum kinda stinks for these things (too many other things in the states using that same frequency).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
What transmitter and reciever do you have? First thing I did when I started FPVing was replace the 6100e reciever and DX6i transmitter. I ground tested my equipment and found that my transmitter and video range were about the same, and that wasn't good. The 6100e is a park flyer reciever and the DX6i didn't have any low signal alarm either. I went the cheap upgrade route and bought a Turnigy 9x transmitter and Frsky module and reciever. I'm still on 2.4 but I have a lot more range, an alarm that will sound if the signal gets weak, and a fail safe that works if I get too far away. I also have an OSD now as well, that points home among other things, since as you get further away it's harder to figure out where home is. Sorry for the crash, but it's an excuse to get more parts!
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Dart.... I've got the dx6 as well. Wasn't intending on flying out of line of sight, but the trees got in the way lol so up I went and a few mins later down I came.

Was thinking had I had the GPS, I could've hit Rth and all would've been fine.?. I think I've got my wife allowing me to buy that as "insurance" that no one or anything gets hurt, and that I won't loose the quad.

In all, I consider it lesson learned. I'm just really thankful it didn't land on a house or car, or worse .... A person. Would've been a mess.

Consider myself lucky that it was just props, landing gear and a gopro mount. Fixed it just enough to fly and the fpv and quad work fine. So I'm way happy.
Last edited by code74; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Code, if the model goes out of range of your transmitter, hitting he RTH switch (if u have it set up) wont do anything. But if you have a reciever that can activate the failsafe when it realizes its out of range of the transmitter then you have a chance. The stock 6100e reciever that came with my witespy does not have that capability. More expensive spektrum receivers can do this, and the frsky receivers can as well, along with a bunch of other manufacturer's receivers. You have to set it up tho, so just be mindful it's not simply going to work that way out of the box. I really like that the turnigy radio also has a low signal alarm, so if you're getting too far away, or if there is interference around, it'll let you know. I've had a couple cases of very diminished reception due to nearby cell/radio towers.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Dart, from my understanding the rth works when signal is lost. My friend had his setup on his hex so that he could just turn the tx off, and it flew back and landed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Your the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertikar View Post
Think this is the one...found it in my youtube history.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSop7fvkoQ
thegeek is offline Find More Posts by thegeek
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Are you using a Naza? This is how it works with my Naza, maybe its different with the Quadrino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code74 View Post
Dart, from my understanding the rth works when signal is lost. My friend had his setup on his hex so that he could just turn the tx off, and it flew back and landed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Dart.... yeah its the naza. Found several YouTube vids that show how to set it up. You can setup for rth or rth + land.... setup is for signal loss or the switch before signal loss...all on the dx6. Home lock is so you just pull back on the tx and it comes back regardless of the quads orientation.... (Which is useful, but not needed if you have the rth function). You apparently just need to do a few extra steps prior to flight. Which really isn't horrible considering the options (loose the quad and possibly hurt someone or something in the process vs getting it back safely everyone unharmed)
With all the flack "drones" are getting these days why add to it. I don't consider these drones, but a lot of people consider anything that flies and has a camera on it just that. I'd rather do a few extra steps vs endanger our hobby.

Should be ordering the GPS this week and installing it by next weekend/ next week. Once I get it up and running ill let you guys know how it went. Definitely goin to field test it prior to needing it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Hi code, here's a discussion about the 6100e not supporting "preset failsafe" is its called. Not sure what receiver you're using. If you do get it working, please let us know. Good luck!

http://www.helifreak.com/archive/ind.../t-402934.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Prop Balancing

This is a great vid on propellor balancing. Apols if it's been posted before, but IMHO it's a must see for peeps like me who bung a bit of tape on until it balances and off you go. I happen to have one of these balancers and it's brilliant, but had no idea about "the hub" balance.

HorizonHobby.com How To - Prop Balancing (13 min 41 sec)

Cheers

J
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Voltage Monitor

And whilst we are discussing battery voltages, this is nice clear post about Naza Voltage Monitor settings I found (it could have been here ):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16702

Cheers

J
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
Under 10% Throttle Cut

Can I just say, this sucks. It's nearly cost me a few times trying to feather on high speed descents. Even 5% would be better. There's so much transitional lift going on sometimes, it can come a a bit of a shock if you are not concentrating on keeping the throttle over 10 (wherever that is when you are not looking). Just my late night whinge

Mind you, Intelligent mode at 10% sounds horrific during a really FFF run :/.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
HT-FPV Weight

Finally got to weigh my HT-FPV at last - it tips the scales @ 1.09 Kgs with a 5.8Ghz Tx on board and nothing else. That explains a lot as it's going up with a battery and cam at about 1.5~1.6Kgs. No wonder she likes 10" props and 4S batts! I'm guessing the 450's are more like 750-800g's no batt?? Anyone weighed their WS 450 naked (as it were)?