HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
ROLF! That is so cool Ken, what a brilliant idea. All those fibres and non-resonant backing as part of the package. My father was in the wool trade all his life and he would have loved that - the wonder fibre, and I seem to know more about wool than mosts of my peers Obscure legacy from Dad, as Oz no longer rides on the sheep's back, we've only survived recent economic turmoil because of what's underground here. Bla, bla, I'm going to try it!!! - just have to find a sheep now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
I guess the secret is a piece of sheepskin from OZ!!!
thegeek is offline Find More Posts by thegeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
62 Posts
Ok, it's built, testing now. Input voltage is 11.78v, is this enough? Charging a 2.2A 3S @ 1.0A.
General660 is offline Find More Posts by General660
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General660 View Post
Ok, it's built, testing now. Input voltage is 11.78v, is this enough? Charging a 2.2A 3S @ 1.0A.
I have a HiTec X4 AC+ charger which combines a power supply and a charger into one device. So, I don't know much about the setup that you have. However, I charge at 1C which, for a 2200 mAh battery would be 2.2 A. (I think 1C is the accepted 'safe' charging rate; some folks charge at higher rates.) My charger charges to 4.2 volts per cell so, for a 3S LiPo, it would charge to 3 x 4.2 = 12.6 volts. The charger automatically reduces the charge rate from my starting 1C value (2.2 A) down to 0 A as the battery gets closer and closer to fully charged (12.6 V). So, I think you can increase your charging current (to 2.2 A), and I don't think you have enough voltage to fully charge your 3S LiPo. You will only get it to 11.78 / 3 = 3.93 volts per cell. I typically fly to 3.8 volts per cell (no load) so I would not get very long flights if I started at 3.93 volts per cell.
I hope this helps.
jlumens is offline Find More Posts by jlumens
Last edited by jlumens; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Video of Ensenada Mexico (Baja California) on New Years day with my Witespy and FPV!

Mona Lisa Beach in Ensenada Mexico FPV Witespy (5 min 28 sec)
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
dart, that is one laid back place, another great locale. Was that the morning "magic hour"?

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
Video of Ensenada Mexico (Baja California) on New Years day with my Witespy and FPV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDn-pMYowI
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
Carbon Props

I bought some Gemfan carbon reinforced props recently. Compared to the standard GF prop they are really stiff and feel strong. I'd imagine they would feel different to fly with compared to the standard props, do they hold up better in crashes?, does anyone know?

Shame they don't come in colour :/

J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
Semi off-topic YouTube question

I only opened a youtube account the other day. Total noob. But I posted a couple of vids and felt pretty clever. Then I thought it was time to replace screaming rotors with music. So I thought I'd put a honking AC/DC track under me racing an mPX around. I realised it's a copyright track, but thought if I keep it private or unlisted, it'll be cool. Not even 10 minutes after posting it, some youtube bot emails me to say it's detected copyright music under my clip, not good, etc. I was amazed by the tech and deleted the video. Later upped with a youtube library track (just not the same as accadacca). There are so many vids on youtube with copyright music under them, do people just ignore it and post anyway?? Maybe I'm just totally naive?

J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Hi thegeek, thanks. I tried 2.7k resolution on the GP3 for these shots, but I think I'm going to stick with 1080p going forward. Can't shoot at 60fps in 2.7k, and it picks up alot more of the movement of the quad. Just like 720p looks less shaky than 1080p, I should have realized 2.7k would be even more.

This wasn't the morning magic hour, its probably more around 10AM or so. Would have been even nicer then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek View Post
dart, that is one laid back place, another great locale. Was that the morning "magic hour"?

J
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
Naza M Firmware

Anybody using the the latest Naza M firmware? I'm not - I think mine was 1.8? My question is really: has the latest version proved to be safe? (assuming there is some improvement that would want to make you upgrade).

Just wondering.

J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General660 View Post
Diamondback, I have a power supply rated at 300w, 19amp max. I read two schools of thought on these, some say just set it up to get the 12 volt from the 4 pin wires, some are saying you need a 4 ohm load on the 5 volt rail to get sufficient voltage on 12 volt side. I have this power supply as a spare I will never need, but do I need the 4 ohm load applied, or good to go without it?
Mine does not require that action. It has an on, off switch for convenience and has 17A @ 12v so I can charge two 3300s at 1C at once with no problems. I was just looking for a way to recycle old PC chassis. They seem to charge fastest from my car battery and I use an Accucell 6 charger.
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
99 Posts
Alas I must admit the loss of my beloved Witespy quad when I was showing off to my mother in Cambria and flew out over the surf breaking in the golden sunset.. I had pulled the floats and GPS because I was forest flying that week and when I left the bluff and turned into the sun I lost the video feed. I floored the throttle to gain altitude but by the time the quad climbed high enough to get out of the sunset it went into low battery failsafe and died just outside the surf. RIP I am building two more.
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
dart, are you using a Black? Or/And, can you shoot 1080p @ 60fps? (I wish).

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
Hi thegeek, thanks. I tried 2.7k resolution on the GP3 for these shots, but I think I'm going to stick with 1080p going forward. Can't shoot at 60fps in 2.7k, and it picks up alot more of the movement of the quad. Just like 720p looks less shaky than 1080p, I should have realized 2.7k would be even more.

This wasn't the morning magic hour, its probably more around 10AM or so. Would have been even nicer then!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
That's just wrong. Ouch - any cams on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback68 View Post
Alas I must admit the loss of my beloved Witespy quad when I was showing off to my mother in Cambria and flew out over the surf breaking in the golden sunset.. I had pulled the floats and GPS because I was forest flying that week and when I left the bluff and turned into the sun I lost the video feed. I floored the throttle to gain altitude but by the time the quad climbed high enough to get out of the sunset it went into low battery failsafe and died just outside the surf. RIP I am building two more.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:28 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,652 Posts
What is the max flying time one can achieve from one of these 450 Quadcopter without a camera? Can you mount bigger batteries for increased flying time or will that jepardize flying characteristics to a point ? These Quads seem to be the best bang for your dollar in my quick review lately!! Love these and love the GPS!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:44 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Hi guys!

If you are interested in the Quadrino GPS.
Here is and update. We are much closer.
I was able to adjust the settings to those in the video.
This was the second of 3 flights back to back.
Quadrino GPS 1 26 2013 (7 min 37 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio