HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General660 View Post
2 PM, done flying, or crashing, for the day. I tested out expo settings on TX, still getting them to feel right for a beginner. The landing gear I made didn't work out, spent more time replacing zip ties than flying. I made new gear from a foam pool noodle, one inch rounds, bigger zip ties, those seemed to hold up. But, last gust of wind got me, came in hard, broke two props. I will pick up a hand full of props this weekend. I'm having fun with it now, laughing at myself for noob mistakes, but I am learning. Yall have a great day!
Good to hear!!! Keep hacking at it. You'll get it!
code74 is offline Find More Posts by code74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:54 PM
Having Fun
United States, NY, Johnson City
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
I finally got a chance to go to the park and run my $1300.00 plus quad through a few paces. First I established good GPS signal with it then hovered and flew around in a big circle then hovered some more and it started twitching then dipping toward one leg so I brought it down to about chest level and that leg cut out so I cut the throttle and let it set down. I walked over to it and started the motors. The leg that was acting up was just twitching and randomly would rotate indicating a bad speed control or at least that where a guy would start looking for a point of failure. After ignored email and a 2 minute phone call (which is about how long this quad sucsessfully operated) that went nowhere I hung the quad and DX7s on the wall making it the most expensive and dissappointing wall decore in our home. Sure I could buy four more esc's from someone and put them in there but it's the principal of the matter. I think the space shuttle program had a better dollars to flight time ratio.
Groundloop07 is offline Find More Posts by Groundloop07
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Jan 2013
75 Posts
Dang not exactly the review I wanted when I'm getting close to making my decision on a quad. Keep us updated on what you find out.
Venom93corba is offline Find More Posts by Venom93corba
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Having Fun
United States, NY, Johnson City
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Keep in mind that I wouldn't post this if I did something in error to expect such a result. The props are the original ones that came with it and have never came in contact with anything under power or otherwise.
Groundloop07 is offline Find More Posts by Groundloop07
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Ground loop.... You shouldn't have to replace all four esc's. The one leg that appears bad may need changing but it also sounds like it could be a bad motor vs bad esc. Did you try unplugging that motor and plugging it in to another esc on one of the arms that does work?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:16 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
G'day Vertikar

All being well, I should have the HTFPV back and also the F450 maybe even next week. I'm trying not to pester Paul, but I'm certainly hanging to get Quadding again!
I've been using the time to get back into my helis for a while as I had become so focussed on the Quad. Gotta say (as you would know) the wind we have had here through spring/summer is a total PIA, just wish it would relent for a while. I'll be making a song and dance when I get them - you'll know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertikar View Post
How's your Flip and F450 going? Got parts/the F450 yet?
thegeek is online now Find More Posts by thegeek
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:19 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2012
303 Posts
What are you thinking about getting Venom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom93corba View Post
Dang not exactly the review I wanted when I'm getting close to making my decision on a quad. Keep us updated on what you find out.
thegeek is online now Find More Posts by thegeek
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:40 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
414 Posts
Well tell us about the phone call, I cant believe if you talked to Paul he just ignored you and your problem unless you were in a pissed off mood when you got a hold of him, so what was the conversation, don't just come here and say a phone call that went nowhere.
and you cant just turn on the GPS and start flying around it is either used for POS HOLD or RTH. GPS should be off for flying around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundloop07 View Post
I finally got a chance to go to the park and run my $1300.00 plus quad through a few paces. First I established good GPS signal with it then hovered and flew around in a big circle then hovered some more and it started twitching then dipping toward one leg so I brought it down to about chest level and that leg cut out so I cut the throttle and let it set down. I walked over to it and started the motors. The leg that was acting up was just twitching and randomly would rotate indicating a bad speed control or at least that where a guy would start looking for a point of failure. After ignored email and a 2 minute phone call (which is about how long this quad sucsessfully operated) that went nowhere I hung the quad and DX7s on the wall making it the most expensive and dissappointing wall decore in our home. Sure I could buy four more esc's from someone and put them in there but it's the principal of the matter. I think the space shuttle program had a better dollars to flight time ratio.
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Last edited by jsflyrv; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:54 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
The WiteSpy family is awesome!! Everybody is here to ENJOY this great hobby!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
May I ask what you ended up grounding the tape to? There isn't much metal on the witespy, so I'm having trouble visualizing where you'd ground to.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
2" Conductive Copper Tape (click here) from McMaster. It is McMaster Part Number = 76555A715. Please note that McMaster does not accept orders from outside the United States. But the conductive copper tape is fairly common and can be sourced from other vendors.

For anyone interested in doing shielding, please note that all shields MUST be grounded. Without the ground, the shield is ineffective. After spending hours doing Google searches, I had a hard time to believe this. So, I experimented. Without a ground, the Naza would take over 3 minutes to get full satellite lock (conducted the test three times). With the ground, the Naza gets full sat lock in 30 seconds. By the way, it is my Horyzon cameras that cause the interference which was preventing the Naza from getting full sat lock.

A person needs to be extremely careful to not create a Ground Loop when grounding the shields. For more information, please Google "Ground Loop".

Also, a person needs to be careful to not "short out" the item being shielded. While soldiering the shielding, the heat will melt away the protective wrap of the device. So, decide where you plan to lay a soldier bead and install a suitable backing that can withstand the heat from the soldering if there are electronics that could be shorted-out underneath..
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Witespy / hoverthings website was down earlier.... Haven't checked again
Hope this isn't a precursor of things to come
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:18 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Jan 2013
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek View Post
What are you thinking about getting Venom?
I'm thinking of either Witespy ht 450, Dji Phantom or a pimped out Aquacopter. I do a lot of wake boarding so if sure which ever beast I choose will be going over water.
Venom93corba is offline Find More Posts by Venom93corba
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Go into the Naza Assistant and check that you don't have any of your channels reversed. I had one reversed and all it did was flip over. Once I unreversed the channel, everything was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike25 View Post
You might try giving it more throttle initially. My only "flips" happened when I tried lifting off slowly. These quads seem to need a little altitude at first to get stable.
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom93corba View Post
I'm thinking of either Witespy ht 450, Dji Phantom or a pimped out Aquacopter. I do a lot of wake boarding so if sure which ever beast I choose will be going over water.
The ht450 is very stable, though the phantom is probably equally so and comes with all options included. Went with the ht cus I didn't think the phantom would be as sound as it apparently seems to be. The frame for the ht is really strong and allows for easier modifications and upgrades vs the phantom. Both platforms are really good (neither waterproof )
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by code74 View Post
Witespy / hoverthings website was down earlier.... Haven't checked again
Hope this isn't a precursor of things to come
Sites are up and have been for years and will be for many...many more years
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida