HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, IN, Schererville
Joined Jan 2004
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
Nike25….sorry for my slow reply….I have been gone a ton lately!!!

I did not have to change anything. If you have a FPV Tx or video camera, you may need to add a BEC to step the voltage down. I run my LED's on 4S even though they say to use 3S max. Wishing you success!!!
Just the answer I was hoping for! Thanks for your help!!
nike25 is offline Find More Posts by nike25
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
I can tell you that running the leds on 4-16 volts will kill them in the long run!
If you leds are emitting heat then they are dieing!
They do work on 14- 16 volts, but they die early!
I have runn them for about 2 months before they died!
Now I may have had 200 flight with them on those voltages!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike25 View Post
Just the answer I was hoping for! Thanks for your help!!
Great to hear. Look forward to hearing how you like it
AlanFlorida is online now Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
I can tell you that running the leds on 4-16 volts will kill them in the long run!
If you leds are emitting heat then they are dieing!
They do work on 14- 16 volts, but they die early!
I have runn them for about 2 months before they died!
Now I may have had 200 flight with them on those voltages!
Great point.

Everyone have a great weekend and have fun flying your WiteSpy!!!
AlanFlorida is online now Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Creative Fun with my Witespy VC-550

Just having fun!

VC550 Multi-rotor Quad DIY DropBox (4 min 33 sec)
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
I find it rather unseemly!
United States, IN, Earl Park
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Got the quad in the shop, looks like they got it up on jack stands!?
More pics to follow later.

Just had to add:

I just looked outside and the wind is the calmest it's ever been out here since, probably Moses walked the earth!
You want nice flying weather...tear your quad apart!!
grizzledcamudgen is offline Find More Posts by grizzledcamudgen
Last edited by grizzledcamudgen; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Weather report!!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Very cool!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Please help!

My current projects are to install a P/T platform and add some lights.

I've hit a few major stumbling blocks with my project! I have an important question that would help me out tremendously the other is not so important.
1.) Does the DJI NAZA controller with GPS have to be centered on the quad? Can it be installed on a tab off to the side without any reconfiguring?
2.) Will anything get messed up if I unplug all the wires on the controller? (I'll mark them of course.)

(This is not major, just a question.)
3.) Can the lipo battery sit directly above the controller, seperated by a plate of course?

Thanks

Update: just finished a major overhaul, not something I'm perticularly fond of doing but she is about done!
The legs are still off... but it won't be long now! Hopefully tomorrow will be as nice as today was outside!? I hope I'll get it finished soon, Heck! I'll even do some night flying!
Last edited by grizzledcamudgen; Oct 20, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: update
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2004
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledcamudgen View Post
My current projects are to install a P/T platform and add some lights.

I've hit a few major stumbling blocks with my project! I have an important question that would help me out tremendously the other is not so important.
1.) Does the DJI NAZA controller with GPS have to be centered on the quad? Can it be installed on a tab off to the side without any reconfiguring?
2.) Will anything get messed up if I unplug all the wires on the controller? (I'll mark them of course.)

(This is not major, just a question.)
3.) Can the lipo battery sit directly above the controller, seperated by a plate of course?

Thanks
There are pictures on the DJI Naza site showing the Controller off to one side however, the manual recommends mounting it on the Center of Gravity. My personal opinion is to keep it centered if at all possible. As to unplugging everything? No problem unless you don`t plug them back in the same way!
As far as battery placement, most pictures I`ve seen of the DJI 450 has the battery sitting right over the controller. Evidently works well!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
There are pictures on the DJI Naza site showing the Controller off to one side however, the manual recommends mounting it on the Center of Gravity. My personal opinion is to keep it centered if at all possible. As to unplugging everything? No problem unless you don`t plug them back in the same way!
As far as battery placement, most pictures I`ve seen of the DJI 450 has the battery sitting right over the controller. Evidently works well!
Thanks friend for responding! I just added an update to my post.
I had seen that pic while researching, I went ahead an for now kept it centered but on a different top plate. So yeah, I had unplugged the whole thing...I took a TON of pics and taped (numbered) all the wires and took notes!!! HaHa Can't overdue a project like that! I'm a bundle of nerves at the moment LOL Having a smoke break before I get back in there and hopefully wrap it up!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2004
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledcamudgen View Post
Thanks friend for responding! I just added an update to my post.
I had seen that pic while researching, I went ahead an for now kept it centered but on a different top plate. So yeah, I had unplugged the whole thing...I took a TON of pics and taped (numbered) all the wires and took notes!!! HaHa Can't overdue a project like that! I'm a bundle of nerves at the moment LOL Having a smoke break before I get back in there and hopefully wrap it up!
Post some pics or videos when you have a chance! Good Luck on your "re-maiden" flight!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Post some pics or videos when you have a chance! Good Luck on your "re-maiden" flight!
Thank you!
Yep, I did take some pics of it, not really a step by step but along the way! I definitely want to keep it in the working order that (Paul) Witespy had put it in, he/they did an AWESOME job putting it together and making it a killer flyer! I would hate to see it fly any different then how it was flying!! I will shoot some video tho on the re-maiden hopefully it will be sweeet with my new P/T platform and lights I'm adding!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Finished!

I finally got it all put back together around 7:30pm, I started out early this morning.
I've added 10 pics, I didn't do a step by step photo shoot or a vid, sorry! I will test it out tomorrow and take some video, I'll post that tomorrow.
Basically what I did today was change out the top and bottom plates with 4 tab ones. I mounted a Pan/Tilt platform on the bottom front for my Horyzon HD video camera then added 4 "Angel Eyes" headlights on top of the tab with the P/T platform, hooking that up to a DELight programmable light system, which I also programmed that today as well (I'll add more lights to it later). I then moved the video viewer from the side of one of the legs (orig location) to the top of the upper 4 tab plate (easier viewing and want not!). I put an extension on the GPS boom and moved it to a tabbed section and then last but not least I put one of the original plates above the NAZA controller and moved the battery location from the bottom to the top of the quad. WOW...what a long day that was! If you don't believe me, you should see the wife! jk
I have so far, turned everything on and tested it (so far so good) with the exception of flight which will be postponed until tomorrow! The only thing that I see that I might want to change is the height of the legs, just to protect the camera a little better!
I have added descriptions for the pictures, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'll try and give ya an answer.
Thanks for checkin' it out!

*Update:
*New: Last pic
I raised the legs this morning fearing that the previous setting could possibly damage the camera as it was only about an inch off the ground. This adjustment gives me approx 3 1/2 inches of ground clearance for the cam.
I took it out this morning briefly but the winds (as usual ) were just too strong! The short flight did seem to indicate that things are working just fine! Thank you Jesus! I will have to make a video later on sometime when the winds calm, it's just to risky today! I wish that I lived in an area with better weather conditions but I guess it is what it is. Usually windy or rain, mostly windy! I guess the oodles of wind turbines give that away!
Last edited by grizzledcamudgen; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
I modified mine a bit w/ gimbal setup

thanks grizzledcamudgen for the idea of using truck springs for support.
I took the fluid out of the shocks trying to make it as light as possable. right now its 2.9 lb w/o batt. waiting for my cam to come in
countryshooter is offline Find More Posts by countryshooter
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
531 Posts
Who's getting a gopro 3 for their site spy quad?
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34