SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
hey Quad4ever,
nice settup. I'm trying to do the same thing but i didnt get the fatshark brand, i got the one from http://www.foxtechfpv.com/
All-in-one FPV Goggles -Matte BLACK it has head tracking
and I got the 400w transmitter but now I.m thinking about it I should have gotten the stronger one. did you have any trouble with your gps is thats why you raised it higher?
I only had mine a couple weeks and love it i want to do so much with it lol.
countryshooter is offline Find More Posts by countryshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post

Well, I wouldn't call it false advertising. You just need to read the fine print ----

"*Under ideal conditions*, you can obtain 6 km range. Your mileage might vary."

And it's not just that website. I did do some quick researching before ordering. During my searching, all the forum post agreed that these were great antennas. And on the other hand, while researching, I read many post saying how bad the FatShark SpiroNet antennas were. Hummmmm.......

I am using the ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz A/V Transmitter (click here). Goggles are FatShark Dominator.

From searching, I am also aware of the common "come back" lines. So here is my rebuttal to those typical "come back" lines (not targeted at you TimeTrave1er ) -

Yes, my battery might block the signal to some extent. Yes, I am fly low which blocks the signal. Yes, I am flying in areas filled with dense houses and dense trees. Probably a lot of wireless network routers too in those houses. Many high power electrical lines too. This is my environment. No, I am not going to go fly in some remote rural area just so I can brag about how awesome any antenna is. The antenna is here to serve *me*, not for me to serve the antenna.

My goal is to find an antenna that can perform as far away as possible given my chosen environment. So, if some one wants to argue that the high dollar antenna would greatly outperform the damned (un-rightly so based on my experiences) FatShark SpiroNet antennas in a rural area, I can't argue that since I didn't test it. But, I can say that based on my firsthand experience, the FatShark SpiroNet antennas perform equally to the high dollar antennas in my environment.

According to Google Map, my setup is reaching 1/2 mile with quality signal/quality image. I can reach out to 3/4 mile with mostly snow reception with brief glimpses of useable vision.

I have also discovered that my radio TX (DX7) with AR7010 /with one satellite receiver is only able to reach out to 3/4 mile in my environment.

So at this point, I am going to leave well enough alone. I will experiment with mixing combinations of the various vtx and vrx just out of curiosity. After that, I will probably use the FatShark SpiroNet antennas since my radio is maxed-out too.
I have and use the SpiroNet antennas. I have found them to do an exceptional job for me. Originally, I was mounting the rx antenna directly to the goggles. I found that I could get pretty good range on my plane....about 2.5 to 3km (fuzzy at 2.5km). Granted this was in a remote area free of power lines and all the other froms of rf noise.

I decided to create a ground station for myself so I can fly at home. I got some pvc pipe from the hardware store and mounted the same rx SpiroNet on top of a 3 meter mast, got the cheapest rx I could find on hobbyking and just us the video in on the goggles. I get good range even here in the city. Getting that rx antenna off the ground made a world of difference.

I think the Spironet antennas just got bad mouthed because ibcrazy had kind of cornered the market and they are seen as "the man " stepping in on poor small antenna makers. I think alot of their bad press comes from those who used to make and sell antennas feeling the pinch and their honneymoon is over.

You should be getting much more the 3/4 of a mile on your dx7. I fly the same receiver on my plane. You need to make sure your antennas are not on the same plane and away from as much carbonfiber as possible. If you radio goes out before your video the thing is just going to keep comming back due to failsafe.
Atown93 is offline Find More Posts by Atown93
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redybender View Post
I scored a pelican case on e-bay for 100$, and makes this ideal for transportation.
What is the model # for your Pelican case?

I received the following PM from redybender:

"Its not a Pelican, but its the same... its from Cinevate Inc
They have discontinued their home brand line and now carry Pelican.
It was a clearance item
this was the e-bay listing # 200827505153"
lmcwilli is online now Find More Posts by lmcwilli
Last edited by lmcwilli; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
Sounds good. I hope to made it.

If anyone is here now. FELIX is going to jump from the edge of the stratosphere.. unreal ..

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

120,000 Feet.
I wanted to thank witespy for his help in configuring my Bluetooth devices. I spent the afternoon yesterday adjusting my PID values and my witespy quad now flies rock solid....even more rock solid....

I repeated the steps on my other modules and all are now working.

I'll be making an instructional video to help others as I imagine there may be several others out there with similar problems.

Thanks again witespy :beer:
Atown93 is offline Find More Posts by Atown93
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Queenstown
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Has anyone else experienced the quad getting sharp twitches when going left-right-left-right on the rudder? I was trying some quick short turns about the same as if you were shaking your head saying no. And every time I did it one arm would jolt downwards and then the opposite one as if i was pumping on the cyclic as well. It doesnt do it if I just do piros all the way round, only when I pump back and forth a few times.
flatlandrobin is offline Find More Posts by flatlandrobin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:20 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown93 View Post
I think the Spironet antennas just got bad mouthed because ibcrazy had kind of cornered the market and they are seen as "the man " stepping in on poor small antenna makers. I think alot of their bad press comes from those who used to make and sell antennas feeling the pinch and their honneymoon is over.
I am not too sure,but I do like how they perform. I did do a couple of bind tests of the spironets, (I had someone actually change the antennas when I had the goggles on so I couldn't tell what was what ) and they matched/outperformed the handmade ones, especially the ones that have been taken in and out of the car a couple times . with a nice little hard case they are sweet little antennas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown93 View Post
I wanted to thank witespy for his help in configuring my Bluetooth devices. I spent the afternoon yesterday adjusting my PID values and my witespy quad now flies rock solid....even more rock solid....

I repeated the steps on my other modules and all are now working.

I'll be making an instructional video to help others as I imagine there may be several others out there with similar problems.

Thanks again witespy :beer:
no problem. Glad we got them working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post
Has anyone else experienced the quad getting sharp twitches when going left-right-left-right on the rudder? I was trying some quick short turns about the same as if you were shaking your head saying no. And every time I did it one arm would jolt downwards and then the opposite one as if i was pumping on the cyclic as well. It doesnt do it if I just do piros all the way round, only when I pump back and forth a few times.
I have seen this behavior if your yaw rate is turned up, and you really move back and forth on the rudder stick. I also tend to move the throttle a little too when I do this so maybe its a little of that, and mw does not like it very much.
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, WI, Burlington
Joined Jan 2005
66 Posts
I Had A Mishap - Maybe Low Throttle

I think I lost power (1:27) when I tried to get back too fast. It appears that I lowered throttle too low and it went dead. Anyone else have a comment?

Witespy Quad Lost Power-Crash (1 min 44 sec)
DeltaPopper is offline Find More Posts by DeltaPopper
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPopper View Post
I think I lost power (1:27) when I tried to get back too fast. It appears that I lowered throttle too low and it went dead. Anyone else have a comment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxKjor7J20&feature=plcp
Not too sure what happened. hard to tell. did you edit the video right before it did that happend. I was trying to listen to the consistency of the motor, but its hard to tell with this edit right before. Super steady all the way up .

It's seem to be keeping altitude really good ..... if you lower your stick too drastically something like this could happen. It's seem to be going really good nex try lowering the throttle very slightly at a time. Or give it some forward motion when you start to descend. It always takes me a longer time to come down then it took me to go up..

Slow and steady ..... look how close they come to the roof tops ..

Time Lapse: Shuttle Endeavour Traverses Los Angeles (2 min 43 sec)
Last edited by witespy; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
The time elapse movie on the space shuttle relocation was great, thanks for sharing.

Thanks to jsflyrv and Alec Skid for commenting on my last post. Wondering if going from 1.7 to 1.9 or later on the MW board improves the basic stabilization code at all? I hate the PID setting. Also wondering if some very smart code writer could read the gyros and acc's and adjust the PID's real time for smoother flight?

" Can't you adjust the camera so we don't see the reference ball and tube ?"

Yes, but it's a bumpy ride with worse PID's

GoPro2 #74 3 8 029 16 (4 min 57 sec)
bkeip is offline Find More Posts by bkeip
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeip View Post
Thanks to jsflyrv and Alec Skid for commenting on my last post. Wondering if going from 1.7 to 1.9 or later on the MW board improves the basic stabilization code at all? I hate the PID setting.
short answer : Yes. 2.1 firmware Flys better in normal Gyro mode, and in autolevel mode. I think the default PID settings are a good start.

If you have an android phone, the bluetooth add-on is a great help for changing the PIDs to get them perfect.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, IN, Schererville
Joined Jan 2004
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
Kyle...The WiteSpy with FPV equipment, and the Camera with Video out and recording that WiteSpy sells has very good flight times. The camera/ recorder records and provides video out which saves a lot of weight….I really like it. I would not go to 2 batteries. Maybe a 4 cell 2200 or a single slightly larger 3 cell like a 3300 max and I would definately not go to bigger props if you are going to load up the standard WiteSpy. Stay with 8" props. I have one machine built for heavier payloads where I went with lower KV motors and a 3600mAh 4 cell but that is a purpose built quad.

Whatever changes you make….sneak up on it slowly and land after short trials and check motors, ESC's and battery for temperature/ voltage and HAVE A BLAST!!!
Alan,
Did you have to do anything other than change motor size to run on 4 cells?
I just purchased 4 cell capable motors to put on my Witespy built Quadrino and I`m not sure if anything else needs to be changed?
Thanks!
nike25 is offline Find More Posts by nike25
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
Whitespy thanks for commenting. Yes, It flew great with the original settings, then I hung the camera underneath it.

Name: P1170457S.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 110.4 KB
Description:

I recently purchased a blue tooth adapter from your store. I have the older rev 1c board and I see the connections on the spot for a 10 pin connector but did not know how to procede with set up. Is it possible to use with rev1c. Thanks.
bkeip is offline Find More Posts by bkeip
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeip View Post

I recently purchased a blue tooth adapter from your store. I have the older rev 1c board and I see the connections on the spot for a 10 pin connector but did not know how to procede with set up. Is it possible to use with rev1c. Thanks.
yes. all the Connections are on the expansion header. Note that you can not use the USB cable to connect when having the Bluetooth connected to the board.

Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
GoPro3 for my Witespy

Holy Crappy Doo! GoPro3 coming out soon. 30% smaller and listen to this boyz ... it will be in 4K. Wow! Cinematic quality for my Witespy! $400 for this piece of beauty. WOW!

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/1...stname=techl0g
kyle925 is offline Find More Posts by kyle925
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike25 View Post
Alan,
Did you have to do anything other than change motor size to run on 4 cells?
I just purchased 4 cell capable motors to put on my Witespy built Quadrino and I`m not sure if anything else needs to be changed?
Thanks!
Nike25….sorry for my slow reply….I have been gone a ton lately!!!

I did not have to change anything. If you have a FPV Tx or video camera, you may need to add a BEC to step the voltage down. I run my LED's on 4S even though they say to use 3S max. Wishing you success!!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida