SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
Use a Blade mQX to learn with.
I agree. The Blade mQX would be a good place to start.

I've progressed from flying a coaxial heli (Blade mCX2) to collective pitch (CP) helis (Blade mCPX and various 450-sized CP helis) before trying a quadrocopter.

Basic orientation and flight control skills really are necessary for flying in stunt/manual mode on a quad---even though I think a quad is easier to fly (in manual mode) than a collective pitch helicopter. Skills in programming flight characteristics into a computerized transmitter are also important.
lmcwilli is online now Find More Posts by lmcwilli
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
got mine today

I got mine today. I stayed home all day waiting for it and all I can say when I opened the box was WOW! Got it all set up, had a airplane club meeting tonite and showed it off without the props and you can see with alt. setting that when you tilt the quad you can see the motors spin trying to corrrect it. very inpressive.
will fly friday. have to work tomorrow and will be studying the manual like crazy.
countryshooter is offline Find More Posts by countryshooter
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:24 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Queenstown
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
So……did you get your WiteSpy today???
Heck yes Alan! And aside from being blown away by the build quality , I am super impressed and endlessly grateful for the bomb proof packing that Paul has supplied. The quad has been bouncing its way across the globe for 9 days and has reached me in perfect condition. I think there was even a little bit of that fresh Florida air in the box when I opened it

I have a question though; I have connected the USB and binded my tx and all the sensors are doing their thing but the PID's are all at 0.0. I have clicked 'read' but it remains at zero.

Im sure from the vids I have seen, the PIDs should all appear at this point?

Im obviously missing something and would love it if one of you fine gents could help!
flatlandrobin is offline Find More Posts by flatlandrobin
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post
I have a question though; I have connected the USB and binded my tx and all the sensors are doing their thing but the PID's are all at 0.0. I have clicked 'read' but it remains at zero.
If you have Blue Tooth on the quad, you have to disconnect it before you can use the direct USB cable connection. I never use the cable and just use Blue Tooth.

If you don't have Blue tooth, then you have to make sure you know what port your USB connection is using and sect that port in the MultiWii GUI.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcwilli View Post
If you have Blue Tooth on the quad, you have to disconnect it before you can use the direct USB cable connection. I never use the cable and just use Blue Tooth.

If you don't have Blue tooth, then you have to make sure you know what port your USB connection is using and sect that port in the MultiWii GUI.
Yea I have got the com port and all the sensors are making some nice graphs when I move the quad. Its just all the PID settings were at zero. I have now manually entered some settings that someone else posted but I would really like to just stick with the stock settings first of all.

Also should there be some nylon lock nuts in the pack? Ive double checked and couldnt find any. Its no biggie tho, I can grab some from the store. Can anyone name the size?

PS I have hovered already and now I cant wait to get flying =)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post
...all the PID settings were at zero.
If you're using a Quadrino board, I believe that the default settings are loaded with the firmware (MultiWii_2_1.ino as set in the config.h file). Not an expert. But that's what I thought.

This is what my MultiWiiConf_2_1 GUI looks like when connected to my Witespy HT-450 Quad with Quadrino. Most of the values are at their default setting.

BTW. Have you already done the configuration of ACC, MAG, GPS (if you have it), transmitter control ranges, and switch settings?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcwilli View Post
If you're using a Quadrino board, I believe that the default settings are loaded with the firmware (MultiWii_2_1.ino as set in the config.h file). Not an expert. But that's what I thought.

This is what my MultiWiiConf_2_1 GUI looks like when connected to my Witespy HT-450 Quad with Quadrino. Most of the values are at their default setting.

Thats just what I was looking for, thanks for that. I will figure out how to load the defaults soon Im sure. At least I can get out and fly in the meantime tho.

Good night! Its 1:30 am in NZ!

zzz...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:20 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
You can reset the setting just by pressing reset.
I think you should have your P's 3.6 i's move them 35 and d make that 18
That should help for that size quad!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
heck with work I went to fly it and it flew great! gotta love witespy. thanks guys
countryshooter is offline Find More Posts by countryshooter
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:57 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryshooter View Post
heck with work I went to fly it and it flew great! gotta love witespy. thanks guys
That is so awesome…..You are definitely a WiteSpy Family member!!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined May 2007
2 Posts
To you expert flyers out there, How do I flip and roll my witespy quadrino? I can;t quite get it done in att mode.
mawalker1 is offline Find More Posts by mawalker1
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
You can reset the setting just by pressing reset.
I think you should have your P's 3.6 i's move them 35 and d make that 18
That should help for that size quad!
Ah yea reset has brought it all up. I just wanted to start with stock so I can see the difference.

Day 1 of having my Witespy and its raining and miserable. Really happy that Ive managed to get everything working so soon though. Just gonna pop out and grab some lock nuts and Im ready to go =)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
I am quite excited for the guys who just got their Witespy. it reminds me of the day I got my box of goodies. Enjoy guys!
kyle925 is offline Find More Posts by kyle925
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
232 Posts
Here is one of my vids with my Witespy Naza with FPV Options. I have slightly modded my Witespy with cosmetics changes, AR7010 Rx, and a taller GPS boom. Jump to timeline 0:55 for the take-off. Vid is 720p. Battery is 2700.

001 (9 min 9 sec)

QUAD4EVER is online now Find More Posts by QUAD4EVER
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post
Hi Folks -

Subjectively speaking, has the time you've put in other than actually flying been worth it to you in terms of learning experience (even if it is just applicable to Witespy Quads) or just a useless pain in the ass? Granted much of the things we do of any kind of expertise takes time to learn, but not many of us wants this to be a full time occupation, either.

Elliot
I am a U/W photographer who tore up a shoulder and could not dive. I started as a total nubie in March. While rehabing from Surgery I taught myself to fly quads solely as a photographic tool. The quad was simply a very capable truck. FPV was added as a safety measure for flying in forests. But I am now hooked. There is a large school across the street with lovingly watered grass fields. I live in SoCal so I can fly on most days. I fly whenever I can, especially at dusk where I can watch golden sunsets behind Catalina Island from my 400 foot high vantage point while sitting in the baseball field wearing my fatsharks. It centers my chi! Honestly, they break, you crash. If you do not like to fix things occasionally and have basic model building skills you may wish to look elsewhere. Me, I'm hooked.
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Last edited by Diamondback68; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:23 PM.