HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:21 AM
ps556
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2007
15 Posts
Again witespy (aka Paul) thanks for this quality kit...I've had mine for a little over 24hrs now, unpackaged and test flew. Out of the box, some simple calibrations to suit my controller and environment then it was ready to go. Transitioning from collective pitch to this is so easy!

I then proceeded to dismantle it and installed some NTM 28-26A 1200kv motors with HK F-30A esc's that I flashed with SimonK's firmware. Made the necessary changes to the MultiWii 2.0 firmware for the esc's minthrottle etc and uploaded to the quadrino. Just got back from a test fly and everything seems rock solid, the difference the flashed esc's make is instantly noticeable...wow.

Next step is to install my GoPro (in the weekend I think).
jmustoe is offline Find More Posts by jmustoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
My bad. I power my chargers with a portable 12V battery pack for boosting cars, etc. Seems the AC power supply for the portable pack broke and the portable battery was dieing causing the lipo chargers to fail. I let it portable battery pack charge all night with another AC power supply and every thing is good now.

What is it recommended to let the voltage of a LIPO drop as my flight times are very limited at the moment? I've got some EC3 parallel cables coming so I can run 2 2200mah's together for longer flights. I'm also thinking of getting a couple of 5000mah's but these are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Discharging a lipo to less than 20% capacity can be fatal to a lipo. Are thes batteries 2200 mah? How long did you fly these packs? You might be able to revive them if you have access to a more capable charger. Do you equipment to measure the voltage of the individual cells of the pack? If any of the cells are less than 3.0 volts the pack is probably toast.

RWW
shawnknight is offline Find More Posts by shawnknight
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
603 Posts
I set the lipo cutoff to 3.2v with the Castle ESC that I have on my 450 and 500 helicopters. I have not tried to change any ESC setting on my quad yet. I charge my batteries to 95%. I do this because the charge time for that last 5% takes forever. I set the timer onmy TX for a 6 minute 40 sec flight time on the helicopters and 7 minutes with the quad. That seemed to be about right to take the battery to about 80% discharge. Does your charger allow yo to view how much the charge put back into the battery? That can be valuable info as you monitor the life of the battery.

I record the cell voltage at the end of each flight and the charge time and the amount of mah that goes back into the pack after it is charged. I also record the cell voltage after each charge. I have a spread sheet set up for each of my batteries. that makes record keeping pretty easy. With that data I can make a graph that helps spot a battery that is performing poorly.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmustoe View Post
Again witespy (aka Paul) thanks for this quality kit...I've had mine for a little over 24hrs now, unpackaged and test flew. Out of the box, some simple calibrations to suit my controller and environment then it was ready to go. Transitioning from collective pitch to this is so easy!

I then proceeded to dismantle it and installed some NTM 28-26A 1200kv motors with HK F-30A esc's that I flashed with SimonK's firmware. Made the necessary changes to the MultiWii 2.0 firmware for the esc's minthrottle etc and uploaded to the quadrino. Just got back from a test fly and everything seems rock solid, the difference the flashed esc's make is instantly noticeable...wow.

Next step is to install my GoPro (in the weekend I think).
What difference did you notice w/the more powerful motors & fast ESCs?
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Question

I just received my VC-450 about a month ago. I admit that this is my first experience with RC of any kind so I knew I had a very steep learning curve. I have spent many hours studying the manuals and reading forums, but still have issues. Basically, it is very unstable once I get it in the air and I have been chasing this from day one. My hope is that someone can give me a pointer or two on the following:

1. Multiwiiconf - When I get it hooked up and running (battery not hooked up) then arm the quad, I get the following readings for the motors at max throttle:

Front_L 1678 Front_R 1590

Rear_L 1850 Rear_R 1676

Does this indicate that my ESC's need to be tweaked? Thanks ahead of time.
C_Miller is offline Find More Posts by C_Miller
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
ps556
Joined Feb 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
I just received my VC-450 about a month ago. I admit that this is my first experience with RC of any kind so I knew I had a very steep learning curve. I have spent many hours studying the manuals and reading forums, but still have issues. Basically, it is very unstable once I get it in the air and I have been chasing this from day one. My hope is that someone can give me a pointer or two on the following:

1. Multiwiiconf - When I get it hooked up and running (battery not hooked up) then arm the quad, I get the following readings for the motors at max throttle:

Rear_L 1850 Rear_R 1676

Hey,

Have you calibrated the esc's to your transmitter? Out of the box mine was like that too... After I calibrated the esc's all the values were pretty equal (that is static, on the ground not moving it)

Hope that helps. Regards
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
ps556
Joined Feb 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro.bi. View Post
What difference did you notice w/the more powerful motors & fast ESCs?
I have not had an opportunity to thrash the new motors but the response from the flashed esc's is definitely noticeable. If I push the throttle it climbs, then I reduce thrust when it's just feet off the ground I hit full thrust and it instantly climbs again. The noticable difference is I don't have to anticipate the fall as much, since it's somore responsive I can let it drop further, as I know the throttle will pick it up quicker.

Make sense?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmustoe View Post
I have not had an opportunity to thrash the new motors but the response from the flashed esc's is definitely noticeable. If I push the throttle it climbs, then I reduce thrust when it's just feet off the ground I hit full thrust and it instantly climbs again. The noticable difference is I don't have to anticipate the fall as much, since it's somore responsive I can let it drop further, as I know the throttle will pick it up quicker.

Make sense?
Yeah! Thanks!
I thought my lagging throttle could be adjusted with some curve on the radio, but I don't know much about that ...
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
98 Posts
I have a photographic assignment that requires the ability to place a camera in some impossible places. To do this I had to learn to fly quads capable of carrying a decent camera and HD video. I never touched anything R/C before February. I bought a Parrot and crashed that an awful lot. It still flys, barely, with epic crashes but with a few really good pictures.! Got my Witespy, wow, a rocket ship!

To the other Newby's having troubles, take heart. You will get better. Leave them stock. Save your money and buy lots of cheap Gemfans so you do not cry so much when they break. Remember there are 4 motors and 4 times the things to go wrong. It will happen...I am going to build a preflight checklist. I flew mine into a chain link fence Sunday and it bounced off with no damage. Then Today I lost a prop nut (preflight!) and saw my first "flip of death" 2 more props. I dont care, I'm loving it. NAZA GPS and video TX on the way!
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:12 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post

Rear_L 1850 Rear_R 1676

You can adjust this, I think the stock setting is 1850 or something like that.
Quote:
    /* this is the maximum value for the ESCs at full power
       this value can be increased up to 2000 */
    #define MAXTHROTTLE 2000
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Ugh.......I need to fly my WiteSpy Quad.....been out of town and I sure miss flying my 450!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Sounds like to me you have a bad ESC or motor!
Or you may have broken a wire at the bullet connector.
It happens.

Check all your connections!
Is this a normal occurring thing, I am not happy for the price and lack of email response from whitespy.

The Quad flys perfect and then the engine or esc burns out in a few days.
wenigerj is offline Find More Posts by wenigerj
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
I lost my original witespy . It was heartbreaking. I had a brownout and it dissapeared into some thick brush , I searched and searched but it was lost . It .was a camo witspy with a sweet faded coloring in the middle portion. I almost cried, and I'm still not over the loss, However I picked up used witespy out of the classifieds and I test flew it today . Flys nice , seems to have more power, might be that the esc's are set to high timing. Not sure.

I plan on flying this beast until I save for another new camo witespy with black motors instead of these blue ones .

I need some working PID values tho for auto level and for heading hold there's just zeros in right now for I and D . I mostly fly by gyros only but it would be nice if the flight modes did work which right now they do not, heading hold drifts quite a bit.

Thanks
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
I'm new to the Quad/RC world and I just got my new witespy vc450 today and did my first flight. Good thing I had some experience w/ an AR drone /McGyver mod. it kinda gave me an idea on how to fly this impressive quad. I just wish that a simple diagram of the DX8 controls was included pertaining to the quad and not the general manual. Can anybody tell me if there is one available? I'm going to keep flying low until I get a good feel of the quad. BTW, how do you control the quad to hold just 3 ft from the ground? I thought the NAZA was intelligent enough not to dip very low ( to the point it touches the ground) where I have to put some throttle to raise it up and control it? Also, will the GPS accessory answer my "location hold" problem? I find myself really controlling the quad to get it to hold in place.
kyle925 is offline Find More Posts by kyle925
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle925 View Post
I'm new to the Quad/RC world and I just got my new witespy vc450 today and did my first flight. Good thing I had some experience w/ an AR drone /McGyver mod. it kinda gave me an idea on how to fly this impressive quad. I just wish that a simple diagram of the DX8 controls was included pertaining to the quad and not the general manual. Can anybody tell me if there is one available? I'm going to keep flying low until I get a good feel of the quad. BTW, how do you control the quad to hold just 3 ft from the ground? I thought the NAZA was intelligent enough not to dip very low ( to the point it touches the ground) where I have to put some throttle to raise it up and control it? Also, will the GPS accessory answer my "location hold" problem? I find myself really controlling the quad to get it to hold in place.
Finding RC group was your first step in learning. The next step is to read, read, read, and then read some more. Any question you have on the Witespy, Naza, Naza GPS, or your DX8 can be found here. YouTube is also an excellent source for video instructions. I would start there for your DX8 set up and help. The Naza is capable of holding its altitude at 1 meter off the ground, and yes adding GPS to the Naza will allow you to hold your position hands free off the controller in winds up to about 18-25 mph. To place the Naza into altitude hold just move the throttle to the half way position. 50% throttle activates Alti hold. For more on the Naza/GPS go to the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post21926474
Good luck and enjoy your witespy!
Witespy VC-550 Naza/GPS Flight With FPV And GoPro Hero2 WiFi BacPac (4 min 52 sec)
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Jun 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM.