SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
USA
Joined Aug 2009
828 Posts
So my motors and escs are getting very hot on my naza witespy after just a few mins of hovering with a 3000mah 3cell and a gopro as payload. is this normal? none of my other quads get even close to this hot ever.
importon is offline Find More Posts by importon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by importon View Post
So my motors and escs are getting very hot on my naza witespy after just a few mins of hovering with a 3000mah 3cell and a gopro as payload. is this normal? none of my other quads get even close to this hot ever.
I just posted on another thread about HOT motors as well (don't think they were KEDA motors like on the Witespy though). I had the same problem on my first Witespy after a few months of flying. After talking with Paul I checked each motor individually and found my left rear motor was damaged due to a bad crash a few weeks earlier. It wasn't spinning up to full RPM, which caused all the motors to work much harder than they had to during turns, hovering, etc.

So, got another motor from Paul, replaced it, lubed all the other motor bearings, and voila, no more HOT motors and bad vibrations screwing up my video.

Speaking of my Witespy NAZA quadcopter, here is my latest video after getting my GAIN settings where I like them. This is flying in ATTI mode the whole time.

Cheers!

HT-FPV NAZA FPV Practice Session (3 min 41 sec)
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old May 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmoonCat View Post
The battery was fully charged. I checked it again after I got home, and sure enough... full charge.
Fullmoon - I had the same issues with Zippy 25C 2200 3S's. I would fly for a few minutes fine, but then just lose power and even hitting full throttle wouldn't get me out of trouble. I noticed that a number of times it was during a descent or turn, etc. I read in a thread that when under load (winds, descending, hard acceleration, etc) you need more than 20-25C, so I switched to 20-50C's which give a constant 20C with 50C spike capability and have NEVER had it happen again. I have months of flying now with it never happening again.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
USA
Joined Aug 2009
828 Posts
That's a great video! What are your gain settings? Also what kind of lube do you use on these motors? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
I just posted on another thread about HOT motors as well (don't think they were KEDA motors like on the Witespy though). I had the same problem on my first Witespy after a few months of flying. After talking with Paul I checked each motor individually and found my left rear motor was damaged due to a bad crash a few weeks earlier. It wasn't spinning up to full RPM, which caused all the motors to work much harder than they had to during turns, hovering, etc.

So, got another motor from Paul, replaced it, lubed all the other motor bearings, and voila, no more HOT motors and bad vibrations screwing up my video.

Speaking of my Witespy NAZA quadcopter, here is my latest video after getting my GAIN settings where I like them. This is flying in ATTI mode the whole time.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Sg4Ri_6DA
Old May 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
That's a great video! What are your gain settings? Also what kind of lube do you use on these motors? Thanks!
My gains are: 170/170 r/p - 130 yaw - 190 vertical, 145 on atti gains.

I purchased Scorpion lube from HK. it was like $9 bucks or something. i think any RC electro motor lube from local hobby store would be fine.

thanks for the kudo's on the vid.

Cheers!
Old May 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
USA
Joined Aug 2009
828 Posts
Well that is a really smooth video I must say. are you using 8" props?

Quote:
My gains are: 170/170 r/p - 130 yaw - 190 vertical, 145 on atti gains.

I purchased Scorpion lube from HK. it was like $9 bucks or something. i think any RC electro motor lube from local hobby store would be fine.

thanks for the kudo's on the vid.

Cheers!
Old May 30, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Well that is a really smooth video I must say. are you using 8" props?
8" Gemfan carbon filled props from Paul at Witespy. To be honest, this video isn't my smoothest as in stronger winds like this I need to better isolate my camera from vibrations. it's silky smooth with no to light winds.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Hey all,

I recently got my first RC anything, a witespy quad & I have a question about batteries. The quad came with a 3S 2200mah 25-50c battery. It seems to last a while. I'm just learning, but I putted around the park today for 11.5 minutes on one battery. Anyways, I was thinking on getting some higher capacity batteries so that I wouldn't have to land & change so often. My question is, bare in mind I'm a newbie, does the c rating have to be 25? Can it be 20c or 30c? How does all this work, in layman's terms? I understand that it's 25 continuous & 50 burst, but being new to this, that doesn't mean much to me...yet. Thanks for the help!
KellyR is offline Find More Posts by KellyR
Old May 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
Hey all,

I recently got my first RC anything, a witespy quad & I have a question about batteries. The quad came with a 3S 2200mah 25-50c battery. It seems to last a while. I'm just learning, but I putted around the park today for 11.5 minutes on one battery. Anyways, I was thinking on getting some higher capacity batteries so that I wouldn't have to land & change so often. My question is, bare in mind I'm a newbie, does the c rating have to be 25? Can it be 20c or 30c? How does all this work, in layman's terms? I understand that it's 25 continuous & 50 burst, but being new to this, that doesn't mean much to me...yet. Thanks for the help!
I would just go to WiteSpy and order additional spare batteries. 25-50 c is where you want to be. Welcome to WiteSpy World!!
AlanFlorida is online now Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old May 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, MA, Nantucket
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
Greetings

Well its been many months since I purchased my Witespy. I've crashed, lost and done everything you could possible do to a quad and she is still alive and running. I did add a Naza controller which I love which I find has help me so much in my flying skills.

I'm spending a lot of time at the beach now and I'm worried about sand getting in the motors. I flipped over yesterday and I had to manually turn the motors to help get sand out This might sound like a stupid question but is the sand getting in to the motors going to destroy them?

Also I was thinking it might be time to upgrade some parts. Any esc's and new motor recommendations?

thanks.

fly through.mov (0 min 30 sec)

me trying to fly through my car.
lanty is offline Find More Posts by lanty
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 AM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Fullmoon - I had the same issues with Zippy 25C 2200 3S's. I would fly for a few minutes fine, but then just lose power and even hitting full throttle wouldn't get me out of trouble. I noticed that a number of times it was during a descent or turn, etc. I read in a thread that when under load (winds, descending, hard acceleration, etc) you need more than 20-25C, so I switched to 20-50C's which give a constant 20C with 50C spike capability and have NEVER had it happen again. I have months of flying now with it never happening again.
Yeah, the one that crapped out on me was 25-35C, and the ones I've been using with no problems are 30-60C. It would seem to me that 25-35 should be okay (not ideal, but okay), IF the battery was actually up to that spec. But that's a big if when you are talking about the cheapest batteries in existence.

I just ordered a 25-50 Nanotech from Paul, so that should hopefully be a decent battery. I am a big fan of these Sky Lipos I've been using, but shipping takes a while for them, and I needed a third battery for an upcoming project, and I like that the Nanotechs can be charged safely at 5C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
Hey all,

Batteries are rated on S and C. The "S" rating is the number of cells. Witespy uses 3S batteries, 11.1 volts. All 3S batteries are 11.1 volts. The C rating is how much amperage the battery can put out at one time, and is very important because if you exceed the power output of the battery, your quad falls out of the sky like mine did a few days ago. The formula for power output of a battery is:

S rating * C rating = Max amps

So a 20C 3S battery can put out 60 amps, which is not enough for a witespy quad at max throttle. The witespy can consume as much as 72 amps at full throttle, so you want to have a battery that can handle that kind of amperage. A 25C 3S can put out 75 amps, so that's why Paul sells 25C batteries and why you should never use less than that on your quad.

There is also a second rating to most batteries that is the "burst" output. This is a figure above the base rating of the battery, and the battery can put that amperage out for 10 seconds only. So a 25-50C battery means it can put out 75 amps consistently, but can do a 10 second burst of 150 amps. It's good to have this safeguard because sometimes the motors can exceed their specs and eat up more power than you expect.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: This was false information. The actual formula for LIPO amperage is mAh/1000 * C rating. So a 2200 mAh 25C lipo would be 2200/1000 * 25 = 55 amps. So you would actually need a 35C battery at 2200 mAh to get full throttle from the Witespy.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Last edited by FullmoonCat; May 31, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:04 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Sg4Ri_6DA
I'm having the motor heating problem as well on one motor and I've tried all those tricks. I lubed bearings, then replced the motor, changed the esc, but still, that same back left motor heats up. Hmmm...
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old May 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2003
300 Posts
So do the ones with the USA bearing really last any longer or do we just pony up for the over $50.00 ones?
Laddy McMurry is offline Find More Posts by Laddy McMurry
Old May 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
I would just go to WiteSpy and order additional spare batteries. 25-50 c is where you want to be. Welcome to WiteSpy World!!
Thanks Alan. I've only flown a few times now, but I'm having a blast! I'd buy from Paul, but I was really wanting the higher capacity (like 4500mah). He only sells the 2200mahs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmoonCat View Post
Batteries are rated on S and C. The "S" rating is the number of cells. Witespy uses 3S batteries, 11.1 volts. All 3S batteries are 11.1 volts. The C rating is how much amperage the battery can put out at one time, and is very important because if you exceed the power output of the battery, your quad falls out of the sky like mine did a few days ago. The formula for power output of a battery is:

S rating * C rating = Max amps

So a 20C 3S battery can put out 60 amps, which is not enough for a witespy quad at max throttle. The witespy can consume as much as 72 amps at full throttle, so you want to have a battery that can handle that kind of amperage. A 25C 3S can put out 75 amps, so that's why Paul sells 25C batteries and why you should never use less than that on your quad.

There is also a second rating to most batteries that is the "burst" output. This is a figure above the base rating of the battery, and the battery can put that amperage out for 10 seconds only. So a 25-50C battery means it can put out 75 amps consistently, but can do a 10 second burst of 150 amps. It's good to have this safeguard because sometimes the motors can exceed their specs and eat up more power than you expect.

Hope that helps.
FullmoonCat,

Yes it does. Thanks! How did you know the quad pulls 72amps? Again, forgive my newbieness. If I'm following you right, would it be okay to use a 35-70c battery because it has 105amps continuous which covers the 72amps? If so, is there a point that's not okay? Like using a 65-130c battery (195amps )? I was looking on Hobbyking at the nano-tech 4500mah batteries. They are out of the 25-50c, but have the others. Also, is the use of 3s batteries (11.1 volts) set by the max voltage of the motor used? Just trying to get a grasp on everything. Is there a website that I can learn this stuff at? I have other questions about charging & stuff, but I'm afraid I'll sound dumber than I already do & don't want to wear out my welcome. Thanks for the help!
KellyR is offline Find More Posts by KellyR
Old May 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
372 Posts
Dave where are you? Back from abroad so soon?
Take a look at flashed ESC's Hobby King 30A when you can get them, Quadroufo sells Detrum 25A esc's flashed and they are a huge improvement. Also motors - HobbyPartz Exceed 2215's 1050kv are great for the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanty View Post
Well its been many months since I purchased my Witespy. I've crashed, lost and done everything you could possible do to a quad and she is still alive and running. I did add a Naza controller which I love which I find has help me so much in my flying skills.

I'm spending a lot of time at the beach now and I'm worried about sand getting in the motors. I flipped over yesterday and I had to manually turn the motors to help get sand out This might sound like a stupid question but is the sand getting in to the motors going to destroy them?

Also I was thinking it might be time to upgrade some parts. Any esc's and new motor recommendations?

thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7hamp2_9Kg

me trying to fly through my car.
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto