HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
So, I'm having a problem with an overheating motor. It started after I changed out my video system with a 1.2 GHz one, then out of nowhere it started flipping. .
This is a GREAT thread guys! Tons of valuable 411 for me on your different setups from all of you.. Thanks! Seems more and more Im inclined to go with the WiteSpy vs. some of the others I had mentioned in my blog post.

Cervanchez - what were you using before, 5.8 Ghz? Ive only seen 2 other people using the 1.2 Ghz setup, supposedly for better range, whereas everyone else is saying 5.8 cuz its less gear/equip to setup.. ?
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS88 View Post
This is a GREAT thread guys! Tons of valuable 411 for me on your different setups from all of you.. Thanks! Seems more and more Im inclined to go with the WiteSpy vs. some of the others I had mentioned in my blog post.

Cervanchez - what were you using before, 5.8 Ghz? Ive only seen 2 other people using the 1.2 Ghz setup, supposedly for better range, whereas everyone else is saying 5.8 cuz its less gear/equip to setup.. ?
No, I was using 900 mhz, but switched to 1.3 for better range and less interference. But need to get this motor thing fixed so I can experiment more with the two systems and make sure my noise problem isn't setup related
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old May 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
How long did it takes your witespy to arrive from purchase to delivery?
Just qurious, trying to guage its arrival and see if i have enough time to set it up for video.

And im excited...
plunderfest is offline Find More Posts by plunderfest
Old May 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderfest View Post
How long did it takes your witespy to arrive from purchase to delivery?
Just qurious, trying to guage its arrival and see if i have enough time to set it up for video.

And im excited...
I think they are running about 2 weeks max depending upon what options you want on your WiteSpy. You will love your WiteSpy!!
AlanFlorida is online now Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old May 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
I luv this thread, so much 411 and help, you guys are great!
If any of you have read my blog, I've been in doubts about what I want to get, but at this point with everything I've been reading here in the forums and on Utube, it seems totally clear to me that HT w/Naza is going to be what I need..
Im excited too because I just received an email from Paul, he wants to call me to talk about what would be the best setup for me - can't wait to hear from him!
I think soon I'll be joining you all in posting my 1st flight vids/pix !
Thanks to everyone for all your help & support -
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old May 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, WI, Burlington
Joined Jan 2005
67 Posts
Manual Mode vs Autolevel Takeoff

Quick question: What is the reason for "Witespy Instructions" stating to bring it up off the ground in manual mode, then switch to Autolevel? Being a novice, I find it more helpful to learn navigation in only auto mode.

Also, I would like to find some "easy" trimming instructions. Mine drifts to the rear and to the right, even after hooking NAZA Assistant and calibrating it.

Any tips welcome. Thanks.
DeltaPopper is offline Find More Posts by DeltaPopper
Old May 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Greece, Kriti, Khania
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Delta, Manual/Auto should be a switch to flip. While I flip I am often going between the two modes.

For trimming... hover your quad off the ground (I like about 8' up) then follow the instructions for the radio you are using to trim. Keep in mind wind direction! Even a gentle breeze will cause it to drift.
vangvace is offline Find More Posts by vangvace
Old May 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Guys, would using a few of these motors be the same as the stock ones witespy ships with his quads?
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mot...le-20-28m.html

I don't know a ton about motors, but the specs seem to be basically the same.
Techpriest09 is offline Find More Posts by Techpriest09
Old May 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techpriest09 View Post
Guys, would using a few of these motors be the same as the stock ones witespy ships with his quads?
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mot...le-20-28m.html

I don't know a ton about motors, but the specs seem to be basically the same.
Yes they are basically the same, they just have upgraded bearings.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old May 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
Yes they are basically the same, they just have upgraded bearings.
Great! Thanks so much.
Techpriest09 is offline Find More Posts by Techpriest09
Old May 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
After crashing my Witespy quad rather badly the month I bought it, I've been practicing on a microquad I built for a number of months now. I only just finally got back to the Witespy. WOW! It's a really amazing craft. It flies smooth and strong. Even with a heavier-than-gopro camera plus FPV gear attached, it hovers at less than 50% throttle with a 2200 mAh battery, and gives about 6 minutes flight time. The footage I am able to obtain even with moderate wind and no camera gimbal is pretty stable (I have nothing worthy of posting yet).

Unfortunately, I did crash it again. It was a battery issue this time. Apparently, Turnigy basic 2200 mAh 25C batteries are not actually rated for 25C. I recommend avoiding them.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old May 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmoonCat View Post
After crashing my Witespy quad rather badly the month I bought it, I've been practicing on a microquad I built for a number of months now. I only just finally got back to the Witespy. WOW! It's a really amazing craft. It flies smooth and strong. Even with a heavier-than-gopro camera plus FPV gear attached, it hovers at less than 50% throttle with a 2200 mAh battery, and gives about 6 minutes flight time. The footage I am able to obtain even with moderate wind and no camera gimbal is pretty stable (I have nothing worthy of posting yet).

Unfortunately, I did crash it again. It was a battery issue this time. Apparently, Turnigy basic 2200 mAh 25C batteries are not actually rated for 25C. I recommend avoiding them.
Oh-no!
How did your battery related issue manifest itself?  
My quad is in the shop too!
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro.bi. View Post
Oh-no!
How did your battery related issue manifest itself?  
My quad is in the shop too!
Well, I had just flown two packs without a single issue (SkyLipo brand 2200 mAh 30C), and was thrilled with the control I had. Then, for my third flight I used a Turnigy 25C pack (I think it's the one that came with my quad, actually). The quad lifted off a bit more sluggishly than the previous flights, and I commented to my wife about it. I should have just landed at that point, but didn't know better. It was flying, after all, it was just not as responsive. But about 10 seconds later, the motors powered way down and the quad fell very quickly from the sky. It wasn't very high up, maybe 10 feet, and the props were still spinning just not enough to keep it aloft. It hit the ground on all 4 landing gear, but I had already broken one arm and repaired it (the previous bad crash), so that arm snapped again. The prop on that arm also broke. Otherwise, no damage, and it was easily repairable.

I was still pretty ticked off, of course. A 25C 3S battery should have been able to handle my setup even at max throttle, and I was just tooling around at mid throttle. After repairing the quad, I tested it with the Sky Lipos again, and it flies just fine. So I am positive it was the battery.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:36 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Quote:
So I am positive it was the battery.
Sounds like the battery wasn't charged and LVC kicked in. Done that before.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old May 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Sounds like the battery wasn't charged and LVC kicked in. Done that before.

e
The battery was fully charged. I checked it again after I got home, and sure enough... full charge.