HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,055 Posts
Jmustoe and MJS88….just spoke to WiteSpy….his internet/ email is having issues….he is working to get it resolved and will contact you
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Howdy fellow WiteSpy owners. My name is Roger and I have a WiteSpy. Just got it last week. My initial flight did not go well. The machine flipped from back to front violently when I advanced the throttle. I took it back inside and hooked it to the computer and everything seemed OK. The motors went up together when I advanced the throttle, the controls responded in the correct direction in pitch, roll, and yaw. I put a new prop on to replace the one that broke when it went nuts. Took it back out and it hovered just fine. Just as I would expect it to hover. It did have a slight wobble but I was able to control it just fine.

My next flight was just like the first. It flipped violently from front to back. This time I was in the backyard on grass (Paul's suggestion) rather than on my driveway so nothing broke. I once again connected the quad (1E rev board) to the computer and all seemed fine. I went back out and it flies just fine. I put two packs through the machine. Hovering jsut fine, out and back flight just fine, side to side just fine.

Next morning the thing has lost its mind. It won't go into a hover at all. It just wants to flip over on its back from front to rear and NO amount of forward stick will stop it. I take it back inside and it has completely lost its mind. The PID numbers are NOT AT ALL what I recalled them as being and the sensor enable boxes are all scrambled up with multiple boxes enabled for both of my AUX ports.

So I talked with Paul and he had me revert the firmware back to 1.7 and then reload 2.0.

Now the machine is flying again. During our conversation Paul mentioned changing the PID numbers. I have read most of this thread and I see that some contributers are very willing to change thins in the PID. That is very scary to me.

I just came in from flying one pack(a Zippy 2450 3s). The machine is flying pretty well but it does still wobble once in a while. I plan on contacting Paul and discussing changing some PID values to see if we can tame the wobble.

I am VERY pleased with my machine. The build quality is outstanding and the support from Paul is also outstanding.

My goal is to eventually be able to fly the quad in such a manner that I can put a video/still camera on it and try my hand at aerial photography. I have seen some very nice videos from a gentleman in California that is flying a home brew quad. He takes it out over the ocean for some really pretty views. I started the learning curve by purchasing Blade mQX in late January. I then bought a Blade 120sr followed by a Hausler 450 (Trex 450 clone) and now the WiteSpy. I was amazed at how easy the mQX was to hover. It took me all of 10 minutes to gain the confidence to pull the machine up out of ground effect and hover. Rugged little guy as well.

I am having a ball with these machines. The WiteSpy is a blast to fly and I hope that I can become a contributor to this thread.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old May 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I have been charging my batteries to 95%. It seem like the last 5% when you take the battery to 100% charge takes FOREVER. My charger has the option to only go to 95%. Is this what ya'll do? If not why not?

RWW
Old May 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I charge to ~4.18 - 4.19V per cell. Yeah, the last bit takes longer. You'll get longer battery life charging to 95% vs. 100%.

I charge my 2.2mah 3s batteries at 2A, takes about 1/2 hour. I usually only fly 5-6 mins so I'm only taking like 60% of the charge out.

If you get better batteries you can charge at rates higher than 1C, in some cases 5C or more even (see Hyperion batteries). Hard on the cells though.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Last edited by egaus; May 25, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
ps556
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
Jmustoe and MJS88….just spoke to WiteSpy….his internet/ email is having issues….he is working to get it resolved and will contact you
Hi AlanFlorida, thanks heaps for contacting witespy I really appreciate that, will look forward to hearing from him.

Cheers
JM
jmustoe is offline Find More Posts by jmustoe
Old May 25, 2012, 11:50 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
What size battery do you guys use? I have the 2200 that came with the quad plus a SkyLipo 2650 and a new Zippy 2450. I also have the 2200 batteries that I have been using with my Hausler 450. Are there any WiteSpy flyers using 3000 or 3300 size packs?

If you are using the larger packs do you see a noticeable decrease in performance?

I charge at 1c rate. The guys at the LHS tell me charging at a higher rate Can damage the cells, even the higher quality batteries suffer fr charging at a higher rate.

I would think that a high discharge rate would also damage the pack.

RWW
Last edited by whitehedr; May 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old May 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,946 Posts
I've been flying 2650 and 3000 mah 3S, just rendering a video and there was about 6 minutes flight time with a 2650 under load, battery was just under 11v when I checked it after the flight. I think I'm getting about 6-8 minutes with these, I heard that's what can be expected with a 2200 as well, so I don't know if there is any gain with the bigger pack or if the extra weight nullifies it. I was also flying this flight with fpv gear (for the first time) on board, which consists of gopro, mount, 500mah 3s and vtx. I needed the bigger battery to get COG ok because the gopro mount has the camera up front a bit.

These packs are also only 20C because they were bought for my plane, I have two 2500 gens ace 25c and three turnigy 2500 25c Nano-techs that I plan on using. If I get time this weekend I'll try the 2200 and 2500 and compare times with the bigger batteries. I think though, my 2200's are only 20C as well, (covered by velcro now) so may not be a proper test.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 26, 2012, 12:52 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
696 Posts
I've flown up to an 8000 mAh pack on my WS quad loaded up with FPV gear and got as much as a 20 min flight time. That was pushing it though. It handles more sluggish and took some dialing in to get rid of wobbles. My favorites to fly with now are in the 5000 to 5500 range. For me its a good compromise between maneuverability and flight time. I get somewhere around 12 min flights stopping with a resting voltage of about 11.1V.
Cervanchez is offline Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old May 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
696 Posts
So, I'm having a problem with an overheating motor. It started after I changed out my video system with a 1.2 GHz one, then out of nowhere it started flipping. I thought it was the new gear so I unplugged it and flew again. I then noticed one of my motors was heating up a lot more than the others. I thought it was the bearings so I cleaned and oiled them, but same problem. Then I bought new bearings for that motor, still same prob. Now I bought a whole new set of the black hoverthing motors and the motor in the same position is still heating up. What do you guys think? Maybe bad connections/solder on my ESCs or maybe the ESC is going bad? I'm going to try swapping out that ESC tomorrow, but if anyone has experienced this I'd like to hear about it. Thanks
Old May 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Timing

Cervanchez-

Have you checked/reprogrammed the timing on the problem ESC/motor?

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Old May 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Are you certain the CG is set right? Could be the motor in that position is struggling to keep up because the balance isn't spot on. I had that issue when I tried mounting a camera to my WS quad, I took the camera gear off and propped down a little.

Also, are you using 2.4 for rc TX? Are you using a low pass filter on your VTX?

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old May 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
How do you check balance wit a quad? Loop a chord from the opposite legs over the canopy and then suspend from a chord connecting the loops?

Pics of how you do it would be most helpful.

RWW
Old May 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
Just check it with your fingers, hold the center plate in the middle along opposite sides on the edge, and check in both directions and just try and have it reasonably well balanced.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old May 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Are you certain the CG is set right? Could be the motor in that position is struggling to keep up because the balance isn't spot on. I had that issue when I tried mounting a camera to my WS quad, I took the camera gear off and propped down a little.

Also, are you using 2.4 for rc TX? Are you using a low pass filter on your VTX?

e
Ya I check my balance every time with my fingers on the center plate. And I've disconnected power to my Vtx and I'm still having the issue.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloose View Post
Cervanchez-

Have you checked/reprogrammed the timing on the problem ESC/motor?

Rich
I've flown with this setup for months with no problem. Can the timing change on its own? I didn't have time today but I was going to swap out the ESC and see if it still happens.