SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmustoe View Post
Hi all, for the life of me I cannot place and international order (to New Zealand) from the witespy website. I have tried with IE, Chrome and FireFox but when you request a shipping price it returns you no data.

I could place the order via PayPal but the amout that gets transfered across is only the cost of the quad. Again there is no shipping.

Has anyone else been able to complete international orders? It's driving me nutty, I really want to place an order......
Mine won't go through either - seems their shipping calculator isn't set up for us outside the US.

I just emailed Whitespy my order and am awaiting his response to complete via paypal. Maybe try that?
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJoe View Post
well I'm getting frustrated..

my witespy quad with Naza is acting NutZ..

flew it yesterday and it was perfect...changed battery..

now I have hold aileron almost all left to get it level..

watt happened?

it throws these fits it seems everytime I try to show it to someone..?

id say maybe a lazy motor but it flies great then it the next flight it just goes bananas..!

how does the Naza get its bearing on level flight..

on startup or on battery power-up??
help..!
Over some time flying the quad could start acting/flying strange. These are precision flying machines that need maintained over time. If its flying erratic try looking over these areas:
1. Check all screws/arms for play and vibrating loose (locktite will fix this)
2. Balance props and motors and rebalance after 5-10 hours or so of flight.

These two will fix probably 60-70% of flight issues mostly vibration problems.

3. Oil and clean motors (flying in dirt and sandy cause motor bearings to clog and not spin as smooth)
4. Check all solder points and connections. (over time with hard landings, vibration, and crashes solder joints can be damaged and come loose causing motors and ESC to act strange) I've found most erratic behaviors are caused by this.
5. Over loading your motors (if your motors are too hot to touch for more then a few seconds they are working way to hard)

Hope this helps, good luck!
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old May 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,440 Posts
What kind of max battery capacity are folks running on this quad for FPV flying? I don't need a heavy HD cam, but I would like to get over 20 minutes so I can get out a couple miles. I have plenty of 5000, 6000 mah batteries on hand at about 400+g each - too heavy? Also have some 3500 and a pile of 2200mah. I plan to also have about 200g of FPV electronics, but that can be reduced to keep weight reasonable in favour of battery cap.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Just bought the Naza today with goodies. Looking forward to it and the videos we plan to capture with it. Not sure how quick the turn-around time is... but if it arrives with enough time to get it ready... we will be using it to film the upcoming (only US performance) TOOL show, and some other shows.

Looking forward to it.

Any tips?
plunderfest is offline Find More Posts by plunderfest
Old May 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
What kind of max battery capacity are folks running on this quad for FPV flying? I don't need a heavy HD cam, but I would like to get over 20 minutes so I can get out a couple miles. I have plenty of 5000, 6000 mah batteries on hand at about 400+g each - too heavy? Also have some 3500 and a pile of 2200mah. I plan to also have about 200g of FPV electronics, but that can be reduced to keep weight reasonable in favour of battery cap.
Hey there I'm flying a witespy right now and while I'm a complete noob with this thing I have some exp. with the batteries so far.

I'm using the 2200mAh nano-tech 3S and I get about 7.5 minutes carrying a GoPro and nothing else . I didn't weigh it all up but its stock witespy .

I've been flying mostly with just gyros and I'd say it has plenty of power and has agility . I think it would still handle well if you increased the battery capacity by like 1/3 or so , a 3000mAh or a 3300mAh 3S and you could increase flying time by a few minutes . So I'm guessing adding FPV gear aswell you could probably get something like 11 or 12 minutes total. But my feeling is with my limited exp. so far I think that even at 4000mAh you probably cross a line where its too heavy to be agile and your flight time may get worse or motors and esc's may get overworked .

Just my theories . I plan on sticking with 3S 2100 or 2200mAh for now with a possibility of try 3S 2600mAh which are available from Hyperion
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old May 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,440 Posts
thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the batteries. I do have some 3500mah around also. But maybe I ought to consider a higher end quad like a Turbo ace ... but kinda prefer the sub $500 price
Old May 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Not really sure why you would even consider Turbo Ace quads to be higher end. Have you checked out Walkera?

e
egaus is online now Find More Posts by egaus
Old May 24, 2012, 05:18 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,440 Posts
I am not very experienced with quads at all. The way the Turbo Ace 830s is described, it is the bees knees with immense capacity and 25min flight times, but then the vendors sound like a pita.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:35 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
A quad is only as good as it is matched up for your particular needs and expectations. For example, I would not buy a sport quad intending to load it up with a gimble and camera and try to get long flight times. I would sport fly it.

Lots of people have been able to multi-purpose their WS quads, getting great videos and reasonably long flight times. People are using it for FPV with a lot of success. There is also the HT-FPV frame to consider.

I've no experience with anything Turbo Ace as produced, but I wouldn't touch it.

And I was joking about Walkera.

Take it easy,

e
Last edited by egaus; May 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,440 Posts
hehe, I even considered the Walkera, but I have figured out how useless it would be for my purposes.

I am coming from FPV planks, looking for reliable fun flying FPV with at most a GoPro. Damnn these quads are pricey compared to planks! But I still gotta have one. Plenty of local quad experts directing me towards the right quad, I hope - they are most keen on this VC450 build.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
515 Posts
I just got home from flying my first ever FPV with my witespy. I flew 2 - 5 minute flights from take off to landing goggles only , it was epic , lol
Old May 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Post some pics of your setup!

Nice going.

e
Old May 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
TurboAce 830, Walkera MX400, HT Witespy ..?

Quote:
hehe, I even considered the Walkera, but I have figured out how useless it would be for my purposes.

I am coming from FPV planks, looking for reliable fun flying FPV with at most a GoPro. Damnn these quads are pricey compared to planks! But I still gotta have one. Plenty of local quad experts directing me towards the right quad, I hope - they are most keen on this VC450 build.
Hi there BCSaltchucker, Steve and Egaus..

Wow Ė very interesting discussion youíre having on this subject because, being a noob myself, this is EXACTLY the dilemma Iím going through right now.. WHAT to get, for what I want to do Ėaside from having Fun of course.. and these are in fact the same models Iíve been considering.
Glad to hear your thoughts and opinions on the matter!
I look forward to hearing more..
If youíre bored, or just like to read, check out my blog journal post with my thoughts on the subject..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658109
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old May 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
515 Posts
Heres a couple pics of how I mounted my stuff on the quad. Im using a couple pieces of aluminum from a heli screwed to the back of the quad to act like a battery extension bracket . I have velcro stuck to the underside and then I strap it to the aluminum extension. Im using a 2100 mAh for the power system and a 460 mAh for the FPV cam and the video tx. The space under the FPV cam is fo the GoPro which I wasnt flying with today. Witht he GoPro on I have to push the battery even further back for balance so that's why I made the extension for that.The video tx is on an extension to try and keep it away from the RC receiver. I'll probably change this if I ever get a different antenna for that .
Old May 25, 2012, 06:26 AM
ps556
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Mine won't go through either - seems their shipping calculator isn't set up for us outside the US.

I just emailed Whitespy my order and am awaiting his response to complete via paypal. Maybe try that?
Hey BCSaltchucker, thanks for the reply. How have you gone with getting an invoice/quote from Paul? I have been trying since 5th May to spend my money with him, I've emailed numerous times and even resorted to sending a PM from here. But I've yet to receive a price and instructions on completing an order

I'm guessing he's really busy.

I don't mind planning and building my own but I liked the thought of ordering a RTF from witespy as my first quad since I've read so many good things about them and everything was coming from 1 suppplier.

Let me know how you've got on.

Cheers
JM
jmustoe is offline Find More Posts by jmustoe