SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Okay since you have had an crash.
Maybe check the set screws for the shaft in each motor. That could cause one to spin faster than the others!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Last edited by DoctorAudio; May 17, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
I went to Murrayville Elementary ( small world ) . Im visiting my parents in two weeks , they live on the Sunshine Coast in Sechelt . I dont know about surfing but the swimming is awesome there in the summer. I'll be bringing the Quad with me when I go so Im looking forward to that .
Sunshine Coast used to be my stomping grounds years ago, cousin's lived in Gibsons and I've got good friends that live in Sechelt. Davis Bay would be similar to WR for flying, but if you feel brave and don't mind a hike to get there, consider going out to Skookumchuck rapids, some spectacular scenery there. If you get real brave you could hover over the salt water rapids when they are at full tilt, but kiss your quad goodbye should you have a bad dumb thumb moment..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; May 17, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Wiring repair question?

I noticed when I had to replace a motor plate, that the motors on my Witespy 450 are soldered to the ESCs. Is this done for expedience sake during the building process, or is it necessary to carry the amperage from the ESC to the motor?

In other words, can I install bullet plugs and still be safe as far as carrying the current from the ESC to the motors? It sure would make making repairs easier.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old May 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I noticed when I had to replace a motor plate, that the motors on my Witespy 450 are soldered to the ESCs. Is this done for expedience sake during the building process, or is it necessary to carry the amperage from the ESC to the motor?

In other words, can I install bullet plugs and still be safe as far as carrying the current from the ESC to the motors? It sure would make making repairs easier.

Jim
Bullet connectors should not be a problem.
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old May 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Quote:
I have a witespy build 1d, (((BEWARE))) Be careful updating firmware. the quad will disarm. do not turn of transmitter. the new firmware does not have a failsafe and it will take off full throttle. (((BEWARE)))
I am replacing multiwii board to the 1e with ez-connect. I don't know who named this, but it's not easy.
Does someone have a diagram to make it easy to use the esc connectors from 1d board and the ar8000 rx. To the 1e board with ez connect.There seems to be alot of loose ends and grounds not connected.
First: Beware? Really? I don't believe it. The quad should not arm itself, mine does not. (MW 2.0). There is a failsafe routine in the software, maybe you need to configure correct. What kind of TX/RX are you using? Makes a difference. Try not to make blanket statements/warnings w/o more info.

Second: You should not use the same wiring, you should re-wire with the included wiring harness. I believe there is a diagram included. What you should do is send the board back and have Paul install header pins like your 1d board has, then you can just drop it in.

Also: http://flyingeinstein.com/index.php/tutorials/ezconnect

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Last edited by egaus; May 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklighter View Post
Bullet connectors should not be a problem.
Yes, take the time and move to bullet connectors, no problems as long as you do a good job soldering. Also, it's soooo much easier to replace ESC's or Motors when you want/need.
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old May 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Okay since you have had an crash.
Maybe check the set screws for the shaft in each motor. That could cause one to spin faster than the others!
Thanks for the suggestion, but looks like everything is ship-shape there.

I did a bit more testing, and it would appear to not be a hardware issue at all. I switched the ESC connectors from the rear motors to the front and visa-versa, and then the front motors ran slower than the rear motors, rather than the other way around. This tells me that it's actually the signal from the board to the motors that is incorrect.

I also tried changing the pitch and roll channels in the Tx, to see if it's a signal issue. If it had been a signal issue, this would have caused the motors on one side to run faster, but it did not. The speed difference was still a front/back issue.

So, that leaves me with the board itself. Fir some reason, the board is making the rear motors spin slower than the front motors regardless of mode. I already re-uploaded the firmware with no effect. Do you think there's anything else I can try? It's the Quadrino Zoom board, and physically is pristine.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old May 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Great news for Witespy Naza owners, Naza GPS will be out with RTH and PH for $169 in June! Very cool!
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old May 19, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
Yes, take the time and move to bullet connectors, no problems as long as you do a good job soldering. Also, it's soooo much easier to replace ESC's or Motors when you want/need.
Thanks guys

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old May 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Can anyone recommend which "timing mode" to use with the Turnigy Plush ESC's and Quadrino Zoom?
artvscommerce is offline Find More Posts by artvscommerce
Old May 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
HELLFAST
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
Changed to Naza

Just finished changing over from quadrino to Naza. Very impressed with the stability. Ive also installed LED lighting. I thought the LEDs were just a fancy addition when I first saw these, but its enabled me to get more flights in when I get home from work and its dark. My nearest neighbours are about 300 metres away and I could here them screaming out when they saw the quad lit up in the sky. They had no idea what it was lol.

Now I just have to wait for my go pro to arrive

Michael

VC-450 Witespy Build, Naza, er9x, 5.8Ghz FPV, Fatshark Predator
Gemfan Props http://www.hellfast.com.au
downingdownunder is offline Find More Posts by downingdownunder
Old May 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, CA, NEWBERRY SPGS
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvscommerce View Post
Can anyone recommend which "timing mode" to use with the Turnigy Plush ESC's and Quadrino Zoom?
Below is the best explanation that I have read:

"To cover the most possible scenarios without prior testing, medium timing should be used. Those who wish to use low timing to conserve
power should bench test the esc/motor/prop combo prior to flight by running it completely through the throttle range to make sure there are no
sync issues that would cause the motor to hesitate or stall. If the motor manufacturer recommends a specific timing (such as high), then that
recommendation should always be followed. Bench testing all timing selections prior to flight and choosing the lowest one that gives smooth
motor response throughout entire throttle range should provide the most efficient setup".
csned1 is offline Find More Posts by csned1
Old May 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Thanks csnes1! I'm currently using the medium setting but two of my motors are getting extremely hot even after a couple minutes of hovering. They're brand new so i'm trying to determine what may be the cause. Still gotta try adding some oil and swapping two of the motors.
artvscommerce is offline Find More Posts by artvscommerce
Old May 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by csned1 View Post
Below is the best explanation that I have read:

"To cover the most possible scenarios without prior testing, medium timing should be used. Those who wish to use low timing to conserve
power should bench test the esc/motor/prop combo prior to flight by running it completely through the throttle range to make sure there are no
sync issues that would cause the motor to hesitate or stall. If the motor manufacturer recommends a specific timing (such as high), then that
recommendation should always be followed. Bench testing all timing selections prior to flight and choosing the lowest one that gives smooth
motor response throughout entire throttle range should provide the most efficient setup".
All the quads are send out at LOW timing... You can change this to high or medium timing to get more "zip" out of your motors. But it will make them work harder.

tons of UPDATES:

I have the HoryzonHD 1080p Camera in stock .... This is a Killer camera for the readytofly quad. I am installing them now, or I have them for sale too.. Fits perfect in the frame, and FPV ready with live video out.

I will have some 5.8G 400mw 8CH Video Transmitters and good DVR's coming very soon

Also the Quadrino GPS is done.. Boards are ready. Working on the code now.. Should not be long..

Also have flashed ESC as an option too if you want to try out the rapidESC's

sorry for the messy pictures.. I will get some better ones soon.

video from camera SD card.

witespy quad with new camera system . test.1 (5 min 11 sec)

and video form downlink (my editing/recorder messed this up big time. I will find something better.)
HoryzonHD fpv downlink test (5 min 38 sec)
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; May 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Thanks for the Updates......great additions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
All the quads are send out at LOW timing... You can change this to high or medium timing to get more "zip" out of your motors. But it will make them work harder.

tons of UPDATES:

I have the HoryzonHD 1080p Camera in stock .... This is a Killer camera for the readytofly quad. I am installing them now, or I have them for sale too.. Fits perfect in the frame, and FPV ready with live video out.

I will have some 5.8G 400mw 8CH Video Transmitters and good DVR's coming very soon

Also the Quadrino GPS is done.. Boards are ready. Working on the code now.. Should not be long..

Also have flashed ESC as an option too if you want to try out the rapidESC's

sorry for the messy pictures.. I will get some better ones soon.

video from camera SD card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHBxk9j9Qc

and video form downlink (my editing/recorder messed this up big time. I will find something better.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNf7o-VCs8A
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida