Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunna View Post
Hi

I'am new here and have done a lot of reading and have some questions

Is there any "easy upgrades" you can do to you VC-450 after you have learned to fly it.
I'am thinking of things to extend the flight time like bigger battery, motors, props or even X8 config? Everything is possible but what can be a good step to do after a wile?

Naza doesn't support X8 config, right?
Paul told me if i want to extend flight times i can go to a 3s 3300mAh lipo on his stock configuration quad.
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
I have herd by many people that a user manual does not come with the WiteSpy Quad. I did some searching and found the following Quad manual. I do not know if this is current or not.

Maybe someone on this thread can verify if this is current?
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old May 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Another video from this morning ,
Quad Copter at the beach with Train (5 min 43 sec)

This is so much fun .
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old May 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Rewiring

I have a witespy build 1d, (((BEWARE))) Be careful updating firmware. the quad will disarm. do not turn of transmitter. the new firmware does not have a failsafe and it will take off full throttle. (((BEWARE)))
I am replacing multiwii board to the 1e with ez-connect. I don't know who named this, but it's not easy.
Does someone have a diagram to make it easy to use the esc connectors from 1d board and the ar8000 rx. To the 1e board with ez connect.There seems to be alot of loose ends and grounds not connected.

Can email to badooger@yahoo.com. I'm sure there's others that want this also.

Whitspy... Diagram please!!!!
badooger is offline Find More Posts by badooger
Old May 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
Another video from this morning , http://youtu.be/i0WgxOFN6GA
This is so much fun .
Pretty cool, and so nice to see White Rock again. One of my favorite places when I lived in the Valley. As soon as I saw the title and video still shot I somehow knew that's where it was, then the wire benches from Expo '86 clinched it. Nice beach to fly on alright, especially the south end where it's not as busy.

Looked like a "brown pants" moment at 5:13 or so, or was that on purpose?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunna View Post
Hi

I'am new here and have done a lot of reading and have some questions

Is there any "easy upgrades" you can do to you VC-450 after you have learned to fly it.
I'am thinking of things to extend the flight time like bigger battery, motors, props or even X8 config? Everything is possible but what can be a good step to do after a wile?

Naza doesn't support X8 config, right?
I've asked here and in the Naza thread without an answer about the Naza X8 config. I've heard people talking about using a Y cable to add the X8 motors n ESCs, but don't know of any successful platforms up and flying.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old May 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Hey guys, i'm setting up my new Witespy with Naza, and I have a really stupid question. A search didnt find what I'm looking for. Do I simply put on the props and then the "coned" washer and nut (putting the r props in the right places of course)? I noticed the prop holes are larger than the motor spindle. Am I supposed to use one of the spacers that comes on the plastic tree to take out the extra space? Also, it seems if I face the washer with the "cone" down, the prop will locate properly. Any advice would be appreciated.... Thanks!
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old May 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
Hey guys, i'm setting up my new Witespy with Naza, and I have a really stupid question. A search didnt find what I'm looking for. Do I simply put on the props and then the "coned" washer and nut (putting the r props in the right places of course)? I noticed the prop holes are larger than the motor spindle. Am I supposed to use one of the spacers that comes on the plastic tree to take out the extra space? Also, it seems if I face the washer with the "cone" down, the prop will locate properly. Any advice would be appreciated.... Thanks!
I use the prop adapters (spacers) but been told it works without them too -
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:34 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Another video from this morning , http://youtu.be/i0WgxOFN6GA
This is so much fun .
kewl!
Old May 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Pretty cool, and so nice to see White Rock again. One of my favorite places when I lived in the Valley. As soon as I saw the title and video still shot I somehow knew that's where it was, then the wire benches from Expo '86 clinched it. Nice beach to fly on alright, especially the south end where it's not as busy.?
was wondering where that was - noticed the benches too! but "Amtrak" threw me off - thanks

Quote:
+1
Old May 17, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quote:
Pretty cool, and so nice to see White Rock again. One of my favorite places when I lived in the Valley. As soon as I saw the title and video still shot I somehow knew that's where it was, then the wire benches from Expo '86 clinched it. Nice beach to fly on alright, especially the south end where it's not as busy.

it was dumb thumbs as I tried to turn and come back . Its a great spot to fly at if you go in the morning, it was , 10:30 am or so . I live in Langley so its 15 minute drive.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Quote:
it was dumb thumbs as I tried to turn and come back . Its a great spot to fly at if you go in the morning, it was , 10:30 am or so . I live in Langley so its 15 minute drive.
I used to live in Langley too, 216th & 44th just up from Murrayville 5 corners. Lot's of nice places to fly down there. Crescent beach would probably be nice too, perhaps a little more protected from wind too. WR was a great place to learn to wind surf, in high tide you could be 1/2 mile out, fall off your board and still only be in waist deep water.

ps. lot's of nice "scenery" on the other end of the beach when summer hits.. looking forward to more video!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quote:
I used to live in Langley too, 216th & 44th just up from Murrayville 5 corners. Lot's of nice places to fly down there. Crescent beach would probably be nice too, perhaps a little more protected from wind too. WR was a great place to learn to wind surf, in high tide you could be 1/2 mile out, fall off your board and still only be in waist deep water.

ps. lot's of nice "scenery" on the other end of the beach when summer hits.. looking forward to more video!
I went to Murrayville Elementary ( small world ) . Im visiting my parents in two weeks , they live on the Sunshine Coast in Sechelt . I dont know about surfing but the swimming is awesome there in the summer. I'll be bringing the Quad with me when I go so Im looking forward to that .
Old May 17, 2012, 11:31 AM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having some issues I am hoping you can help me solve.

Quick back story here, I bought my Witespy quad back in January, but only flew it a couple of times, ending in a spectacular crash that broke the frame and made me realize I needed a cheaper practice quad to learn on. So I built a microquad and practiced on that for months, and have only now switched back to the Witespy. So, aside from the one crash, it's basically brand new.

Here's the problem. I flew the quad a couple of times over the past week, with zero difficulties and no crashes to speak of. Not even a hard landing. I was over the moon with how smoothly it flew, for my video production, and got some amazing practice footage. Then, inexplicably, the quad will no longer take off straight up. The rear motors spin at a rate much slower than the front motors, visibly, and the quad careens backward even with the pitch at full forward.

Literally nothing has changed about this setup since the two flights where the quad was perfect. It was simply the next day. here is what I have done to try to fix this issue:

- Re-upload and configure the firmware.
- Re-calibrate all sensors (though it does the same thing on full manual mode)
- Re-calibrate all ESCs

None of this changed the quad's behavior. My first thought is that perhaps a solder became loose when I had my big crash months ago, and it just took a couple of flights to shake loose enough to matter. But none of the motors are stuttering or otherwise acting strangely, it's just that the two rear motors are spinning too slowly. I have connected each motor separately to the Rx, and they all seem to power up smoothly and go through a full range of throttle by themselves. I do not have a voltmeter to check the voltage.

Before I start pulling off shrink tubing, can anyone suggest a course of action?
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old May 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
On my stock RTR witespy 450 I used the spacers on the propeller hubs and faced them down towards the motors. After installing the props I placed the cone-shaped washers on top with the smaller surface facing up.

I had the same question when I first started and this is what Paul suggested at that time.

Hope that helps!
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie