HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
I have 6 flights now on this , so far so good.

Quad-Copter Witespy Quadrino (4 min 4 sec)
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
I have 6 flights now on this , so far so good.

http://youtu.be/ThBXvOcd-uw
Very cool Steve. Are you going to do any FPV at some point or just going for 3D LOS stunt flying, etc.?

I spent some time at the mall today. Going shopping with the wife - FPV Style - was pretty fun!

HAHAHA

Day at the Mall - FPV Quadcopter Style.mp4 (4 min 33 sec)
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old May 14, 2012, 12:10 AM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Love those videos, D! Even the mall scenery out west is better than what I have to fly around! Sand, water and quads just don't mix
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
Old May 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddie View Post
Love those videos, D! Even the mall scenery out west is better than what I have to fly around! Sand, water and quads just don't mix
Thanks Mudd. Appreciate the kudos. Ya, these things don't do well in sand and water. However, I'm definitely hitting the beaches here in SoCal soon as the sun has been shining out here!

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
Very cool Steve. Are you going to do any FPV at some point or just going for 3D LOS stunt flying, etc.?
Ive got everything I need for FPV , I just need to get comfortable flying the quad in all the various modes, and get good approximations of flight times. Ive just thrown together a camera mounting plate and fixed it to the front of the quad. I want to go slow. Ive got time.

Im coming from flying helis for about 8 years. Any tips on layout of the RC receiver and the Video transmitter on the small quad frame ?
Old May 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Ive got everything I need for FPV , I just need to get comfortable flying the quad in all the various modes, and get good approximations of flight times. Ive just thrown together a camera mounting plate and fixed it to the front of the quad. I want to go slow. Ive got time.

Im coming from flying helis for about 8 years. Any tips on layout of the RC receiver and the Video transmitter on the small quad frame ?
Do you have the 4 Tab plates or just the regular frame plates with no TABS?? With the 4 Tab frame plates you have great flexibility. I put my GoPro on the front tab, OSD stuff on the 2 side tabs, the RC RX on the front left ARM, the VTX on the back tab. Worked great.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Do you have the 4 Tab plates or just the regular frame plates with no TABS?? With the 4 Tab frame plates you have great flexibility. I put my GoPro on the front tab, OSD stuff on the 2 side tabs, the RC RX on the front left ARM, the VTX on the back tab. Worked great.
nice setup dslack! is that a double 4-tabbed center plate?
i have a witespy quadrino but i'm thinking about going NAZA for AP/FPV -
don't have any OSD & I'm confused about it ... would like to see the quad battery level on my goggles (through the GoPro - so I don't have to place my LiPo alarm in view =) What kind of OSD would I need for that (vtx/rx is Foxtech 5.8 200mw w/ cloverleafs)?
Is your GPS just for OSD info or can you do RTH?
I also have the TH9X radio (stock). How do you like your FrSky LRS? I was thinking about upgrading to FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Module & RX (V2)
Thanks!
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Ok, here are all the answers (hopefully don't miss any).

Double 4-tabbed at first, then switched to single 4 tab on bottom to reduce weight and have more threads on the screws make contact. Single plate seems to handle everything just fine and I never had a problem.

Don't think you need to swap out to NAZA. I only did due to me crashing hard and crushing my Quadrino board. I'm very happy with the NAZA, but think I could have done equally as good with the Quadrino, but I was very new to RC Quads and the NAZA has really helped me learn to fly while using ATTI mode exclusively.

I'm switching my OSD to a simple $18 OSD from Hobbyking with "Flight Timer and Battery Voltage". I have an expensive $178 EZOSD setup now which is 4 times the weight and the only thing I look at is the voltage and flight time anyway. Save the money for Quad flying and get the $18 stuff. It's all you'll need. You'll only need the $6 GoPro cable to plug directly into the OSD. Then you'll make a simple 4 lead cable (2 leads from the extra power cable on your Witespy to the +- power leads on our VTX and 2 leads for video feed from the OSD). Super simple and easy to do.

The GPS is only for flight data (altitude, distance, direction to home) and does not interact with the flight controller at all, so no GPS hold or RTH functionality. Pretty much a waste for the FPV flying I do with a Quadcopter, which is totally unlike Plane flying long distances, etc.

I very much like my FrSky LRS on my 9X. However, I have no idea if I would have had any range issues with the stock setup either. I just liked the extra safety of the LRS got me for a meager $49 upgrade. :-)

Cheers and good luck man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro.bi. View Post
nice setup dslack! is that a double 4-tabbed center plate?
i have a witespy quadrino but i'm thinking about going NAZA for AP/FPV -
don't have any OSD & I'm confused about it ... would like to see the quad battery level on my goggles (through the GoPro - so I don't have to place my LiPo alarm in view =) What kind of OSD would I need for that (vtx/rx is Foxtech 5.8 200mw w/ cloverleafs)?
Is your GPS just for OSD info or can you do RTH?
I also have the TH9X radio (stock). How do you like your FrSky LRS? I was thinking about upgrading to FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Module & RX (V2)
Thanks!
Old May 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Ok, here are all the answers (hopefully don't miss any).

Double 4-tabbed at first, then switched to single 4 tab on bottom to reduce weight and have more threads on the screws make contact. Single plate seems to handle everything just fine and I never had a problem.

Don't think you need to swap out to NAZA. I only did due to me crashing hard and crushing my Quadrino board. I'm very happy with the NAZA, but think I could have done equally as good with the Quadrino, but I was very new to RC Quads and the NAZA has really helped me learn to fly while using ATTI mode exclusively.

I'm switching my OSD to a simple $18 OSD from Hobbyking with "Flight Timer and Battery Voltage". I have an expensive $178 EZOSD setup now which is 4 times the weight and the only thing I look at is the voltage and flight time anyway. Save the money for Quad flying and get the $18 stuff. It's all you'll need. You'll only need the $6 GoPro cable to plug directly into the OSD. Then you'll make a simple 4 lead cable (2 leads from the extra power cable on your Witespy to the +- power leads on our VTX and 2 leads for video feed from the OSD). Super simple and easy to do.

The GPS is only for flight data (altitude, distance, direction to home) and does not interact with the flight controller at all, so no GPS hold or RTH functionality. Pretty much a waste for the FPV flying I do with a Quadcopter, which is totally unlike Plane flying long distances, etc.

I very much like my FrSky LRS on my 9X. However, I have no idea if I would have had any range issues with the stock setup either. I just liked the extra safety of the LRS got me for a meager $49 upgrade. :-)

Cheers and good luck man!
Thanks man! I get it w/the tabs, OSD, FrSky & GPS.

As for the QuadRino: that's what I started with, & It took a lot of PID settings (in 1.9) to get it flying nice in both Acro & ACC (Mag good too, but no hope for Baro).
There was a yaw problem, but I got rid of that. The wobble-of-death occurred only during windy days, when pushing the Quad with all the sensors on (beginner out-of-control maneuvers) ...

Then 2.0 came out & I went FPV w/the GoPro. Again it took a lot of PID exploring (& crashing) to get it flying smooth. Balanced everything to eliminate vibrations ...
The wobble-of-death happened more often with the added weight, flying gyros only.
Forget about turning on any sensors! That would guarantee a crash, especially with the weight @ the bottom, or balanced front-back with the battery. Placing the GoPro centered on top gave me the best results in terms of stable flying, but I would see too much of the props ...
Anyway, I grew accustomed to flying gyros only for FPV, it's smoother, so I gues it's okay I can't relay on any of the sensors.
But even so, if I had to do any strong move (turn in the wind, avoid something, etc) , it's too easy to wobble & crash ...

Then something went seriously wrong & the quad started pitch-diving out of control (as in: wouldn't take any RC commands ... turning off the radio wouldn't even activate my tried & tested MultiWii FailSafe ...).
So yeah, I think it would have been easier for me too to start on the NAZA =)

Sorry for the rant!
Won't be able to fly till my quad comes back from repairs & I'm cranky -
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
oops , link was bad
Last edited by Steve34; May 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old May 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quad with go Pro (5 min 51 sec)

Mounted a go pro to the camera mounting plate I made out of G10 pieces I put on my witespy, went out to the park this morning , I think the mounting plate is working good no vibes that I can see , didn't use youtubes stabilization edit.
My quad has no tabs but I have lots of spare cf and some G10 I plan on making some tabs out of that and attaching to the quad .
Old May 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Excellent! Now you're cookin. Pretty damn fun seeing what you're flying like from an FPV perspective aint it?

Cheers!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvRU...e_gdata_player

Mounted a go pro to the camera mounting plate I made out of G10 pieces I put on my witespy, went out to the park this morning , I think the mounting plate is working good no vibes that I can see , didn't use youtubes stabilization edit.
My quad has no tabs but I have lots of spare cf and some G10 I plan on making some tabs out of that and attaching to the quad .
Old May 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! Now you're cookin. Pretty damn fun seeing what you're flying like from an FPV perspective aint it?

Cheers!
yah its awesome. I havnt put my FPV gear on the quad yet , just flying line of sight for now but with the go pro mounted
Old May 15, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
98 Posts
Soon we will have a single gyro stabilized, pan and tilt CCD camera with a power zoom that is used for FPV and stores video and stills on board as well as TX to base for pilot telemetry in a single integrated unit. I think it is all there now except for the power zoom. Mass is the enemy. For Quad work at relatively shorter ranges or switching platforms they will excel.
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68
Old May 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
Sweden, Östergötland County, Borensberg
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Hi

I'am new here and have done a lot of reading and have some questions

Is there any "easy upgrades" you can do to you VC-450 after you have learned to fly it.
I'am thinking of things to extend the flight time like bigger battery, motors, props or even X8 config? Everything is possible but what can be a good step to do after a wile?

Naza doesn't support X8 config, right?
Lunna is offline Find More Posts by Lunna