SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
531 Posts
I got it working , maybe this wire is meant to be unplugged for a reason , I get the program to communicate , also Plug in just battery to quad and then arm and motors spin and change rpm with cyclic movements . Sweeeeet
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 09:41 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve34 View Post
I got it working , maybe this wire is meant to be unplugged for a reason , I get the program to communicate , also Plug in just battery to quad and then arm and motors spin and change rpm with cyclic movements . Sweeeeet
Great to hear. You are going to Love your WiteSpy Quad!!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old May 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
How do you mean change RPM with cyclic movements?
Glenstr is online now Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
How do you mean change RPM with cyclic movements?
I just mean that with the Quad armed with props off and it sitting on the table, I give the quad a little bit of throttle and 4 motors are spinning and I can hear a steady tone from the 4 motors(rpm spinning). As I move the right stick ( Cyclic ) right to left forward and back I can hear the tone change on the motors as if they are changing rpm slightly to move the quad to my commands. Seems correct to me.

Also when I turn on Auto Level ( NunChuck) with the gear switch and the pick up the quad and tilt it one way and then the other I can hear the motor rpms changing as I tilt and move the quad in my hands as if it were attempting to level itself . Again this seems correct.

All this with props off and at low throttle .

I'll be putting the props on and trying to hover it today hopfully after work .
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old May 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
I just mean that with the Quad armed with props off and it sitting on the table, I give the quad a little bit of throttle and 4 motors are spinning and I can hear a steady tone from the 4 motors(rpm spinning). As I move the right stick ( Cyclic ) right to left forward and back I can hear the tone change on the motors as if they are changing rpm slightly to move the quad to my commands. Seems correct to me.

Also when I turn on Auto Level ( NunChuck) with the gear switch and the pick up the quad and tilt it one way and then the other I can hear the motor rpms changing as I tilt and move the quad in my hands as if it were attempting to level itself . Again this seems correct.

All this with props off and at low throttle .

I'll be putting the props on and trying to hover it today hopfully after work .
ok, I get what you mean.

On another note - thinking about flashing 2.0 on mine - anyone done it and anything in particular to watch out for?
Last edited by Glenstr; May 11, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I put 2.0 on my stock Witespy quad. My board was the Rev 1D. Afterward I had to dial down the PIDs quite dramatically otherwise I would have extreme oscillations.

I also put 2.0 on a Rev 1E board on a different quad, totally different story. Barely had to tweak PIDs, and it flies great.

Just make sure you get the correct version for your board, the instructions at FlyingEinstein are complete and easy to follow. Use Arduino 1.0 and MW Config 2.0.

Quad flying in Seattle (3 min 27 sec)

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old May 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
How I got rid of the jello effect

There is a little residual of jello when spooling up on the ground, but it goes away at take off. Not a bad video quality for a camera currently going on Amazon for $80 shipped, but it takes some efforts to find a good mounting solution (unless you have a gimbal that costs twice the camera, or so...)

The VC450 rocks!

Witespy VC450 aerial video: April 2012 Sorbothane and Secured Arms Test (4 min 10 sec)
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old May 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
I put 2.0 on my stock Witespy quad. My board was the Rev 1D. Afterward I had to dial down the PIDs quite dramatically otherwise I would have extreme oscillations.

I also put 2.0 on a Rev 1E board on a different quad, totally different story. Barely had to tweak PIDs, and it flies great.

Just make sure you get the correct version for your board, the instructions at FlyingEinstein are complete and easy to follow. Use Arduino 1.0 and MW Config 2.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_2ZoprtdS4

e
I downloaded the 2.0 from flyingeinstein, and had a look at the sketch to see if it had the camera gimbal like my 1.9 (it does), but I haven't decided whether to load it or not yet. I've got mine flying pretty nice now, so I may get some stick time on it first - unless it does fly that much better with the 2.0 - what PID settings did you use with your 2.0?

My board is a Rev 1D, not sure what you mean by using Arduino 1.0 - I just use the MultiWiiConf_2_0.exe program. Noticed this one has the 64 bit version, but it doesn't run on my 64 bit dell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
There is a little residual of jello when spooling up on the ground, but it goes away at take off. Not a bad video quality for a camera currently going on Amazon for $80 shipped, but it takes some efforts to find a good mounting solution (unless you have a gimbal that costs twice the camera, or so...)

The VC450 rocks!
Good job on getting the vibes out. The only cam I've put on my 450 frame is the HK wing cam, major jello compared to my Gaui with the same cam (see below) I was thinking that the Keda Hacker motors are not near as balanced as the Scorpions, the prop adapters certainly aren't - when my motors are stopping I can see the wobble on the Keda's and I can't on the Scorpions. I wonder if better prop adapters can be purchased for the hacker motors, I've already broke one just tightening a nylon lock nut on them.

practicing with the hoverthings quadrino (3 min 16 sec)
Old May 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
770 Posts
"My board is a Rev 1D, not sure what you mean by using Arduino 1.0 - I just use the MultiWiiConf_2_0.exe program. Noticed this one has the 64 bit version, but it doesn't run on my 64 bit dell."

The MWC 2_0.exe is the GUI you use to test the sensors on your board and modify PID, switch settings. With MWC 2.0 code, you need the Arduino 1.0 exe if you want to modify any code or config.h settings. Just remember that with MWC 2.0, you open up the *.ino file.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old May 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
"My board is a Rev 1D, not sure what you mean by using Arduino 1.0 - I just use the MultiWiiConf_2_0.exe program. Noticed this one has the 64 bit version, but it doesn't run on my 64 bit dell."

The MWC 2_0.exe is the GUI you use to test the sensors on your board and modify PID, switch settings. With MWC 2.0 code, you need the Arduino 1.0 exe if you want to modify any code or config.h settings. Just remember that with MWC 2.0, you open up the *.ino file.
Right - forgot that there was separate software to actually upload the firmware.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
[QUOTE=Glenstr;21593343] (...)

Good job on getting the vibes out. The only cam I've put on my 450 frame is the HK wing cam, major jello compared to my Gaui with the same cam (see below) I was thinking that the Keda Hacker motors are not near as balanced as the Scorpions, the prop adapters certainly aren't - when my motors are stopping I can see the wobble on the Keda's and I can't on the Scorpions. I wonder if better prop adapters can be purchased for the hacker motors, I've already broke one just tightening a nylon lock nut on them.

Thanks, I completely agree on the prop adapters, each one is a chunk of aluminum and I do not think that they can be individually balanced. However, if we balance the motor with the adapter mounted on it, any issue should be taken care of. I did not show it in the video because I did not record it, but I did the following:

- remove al props (safety first! They were balanced separately, it may not be perfect but costs less than a trip to the emergency room )
- run the motors at 3/4 throttle.
- feel the vibrations with your fingertip, by the side of the motor mount
- balance each motor as shown in the various online videos (i.e. by trial and error with a piece of heavy tape)
- use the fingertip to monitor the results

This should be done after assuring that the quad arms are securely connected to the center plates.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old May 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts
New Quad

Hi Guys, I just received my Witespy Quad last night and I have no idea how to get this thing up and running, I am really really bummed. It came with a disk that I ran and I have no idea what to do with it, I told Paul that I was going to use a futaba fasst receiver and he said no problem. It came with zero instructions I guess you have to be a computer expert to do this kind of stuff. I am not new to RC I have been in the hobby for 45 years and have flown helicopters for 6 of them but I think this is way above my head this programming stuff. If any one would care to help me out I would really appreciate it or is there a step by step dvd that I can go by to get this thing in the air. I live in Ventura County Ca. and it would be really great if I could hook up with them for some help. Maybe at 62 years old I am getting a little less smart for this kind of stuff. Thanking you in advance.:confused
heliup is offline Find More Posts by heliup
Old May 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,967 Posts
[QUOTE=DMala;21593875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
(...)

Thanks, I completely agree on the prop adapters, each one is a chunk of aluminum and I do not think that they can be individually balanced. However, if we balance the motor with the adapter mounted on it, any issue should be taken care of. I did not show it in the video because I did not record it, but I did the following:

- remove al props (safety first! They were balanced separately, it may not be perfect but costs less than a trip to the emergency room )
- run the motors at 3/4 throttle.
- feel the vibrations with your fingertip, by the side of the motor mount
- balance each motor as shown in the various online videos (i.e. by trial and error with a piece of heavy tape)
- use the fingertip to monitor the results

This should be done after assuring that the quad arms are securely connected to the center plates.
Yeah, was even thinking about switching motors with the Gaui to see how much difference it made, but I'll wait until I start flying my GoPro or Drift and see how bad it is with them. Some of the prop adapters are noticeably off center, so even balancing them won't take all vibration away, but it may minimize it. When I used to work in a tire shop and you would get an out of round tire (usually a Goodyear) you could eventually balance it with enough weight, but it would still ride rough.

I think I may try and find some better prop adapters, having one off center like that has to be hard on the motor, eventually.

There is an iPhone app that measures vibes quite accurately too, may gave to check that out.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
step one (2 min 53 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliup View Post
Hi Guys, I just received my Witespy Quad last night and I have no idea how to get this thing up and running, I am really really bummed. It came with a disk that I ran and I have no idea what to do with it, I told Paul that I was going to use a futaba fasst receiver and he said no problem. It came with zero instructions I guess you have to be a computer expert to do this kind of stuff. I am not new to RC I have been in the hobby for 45 years and have flown helicopters for 6 of them but I think this is way above my head this programming stuff. If any one would care to help me out I would really appreciate it or is there a step by step dvd that I can go by to get this thing in the air. I live in Ventura County Ca. and it would be really great if I could hook up with them for some help. Maybe at 62 years old I am getting a little less smart for this kind of stuff. Thanking you in advance.:confused
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliup View Post

Here is a link to the setup videos 1-4. This should help you.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/abo...nto-demo-store
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon