HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
450 Range?

I have a stock Witespy 450 with Naza controller, am using a DX6i tx. What's some practical experience for controllable range/altitude of this configuration?
ufcpa is offline Find More Posts by ufcpa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Macon, GA
Joined Sep 2010
40 Posts
i just configured my quad, powered it up and got the controls reversed that needed to be reversed and was hovering about 6 inches of the ground. i set it down, went to eat and charge a fresh batt and now i cant get the motors to spin. any ideas?
ronnie187 is offline Find More Posts by ronnie187
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingRookie View Post
Did you make that camera mount yourself or you purchase it ? That camera mount was design for the gopro or for something else ? How many axis ?
I made it myself. it is made out of g10 for the go pro. Snug fit. It is just a two axis(pan and tilt). The laser cutter kind of chard the edges so i wasn't happy with that. I think a cnc cut will do better. I am going to cut the same mount out of acrylic with the laser cutter cause it won't make a mess. The thing with make things is going through several prototypes until it is perfect.
Drifter3060 is offline Find More Posts by Drifter3060
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcpa View Post
I have a stock Witespy 450 with Naza controller, am using a DX6i tx. What's some practical experience for controllable range/altitude of this configuration?
Well LOS is your limitation with that quad. The transmitter range is around 1 to 1.5 miles depending on your surroundings and area interference. If you try to fly your quad that far without an FPV set up, orientation will be your biggest challenge. Hope that helps?
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Well LOS is your limitation with that quad. The transmitter range is around 1 to 1.5 miles depending on your surroundings and area interference. If you try to fly your quad that far without an FPV set up, orientation will be your biggest challenge. Hope that helps?
That does help, although I doubt that I can see it well enough beyond a few hundred feet in order to see orientation. Agree, I need an FPV setup. Thanks.
ufcpa is offline Find More Posts by ufcpa
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:13 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie187 View Post
i just configured my quad, powered it up and got the controls reversed that needed to be reversed and was hovering about 6 inches of the ground. i set it down, went to eat and charge a fresh batt and now i cant get the motors to spin. any ideas?
Check in the Assistant whether or not you are in safe mode. There may be other reasons as well but that's the first thing I would check.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:14 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
SCPhoto, did you get your Naza replaced or fixed?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
very cool!. love it. I got those 9 inch prop ones i will send you
Hahaha. Send them quickly, I'm gonna need them LOL. Check out this vid from today. At 2:25 the wind gusted from behind and pushed me into a tree. Dude, my Quad was a tree trimmer, but it still flew. I'll take a photo of the props, big chunks outa the front two props with stress fractures, but the little guy still flew enough for a shaky but good landing. Incredible! Hahahahaha.

Witespy Quadcopter - Tree Trimmer - LOL (2 min 58 sec)
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:28 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Flew my first 4 battery packs! Broke a prop on the first 2, decoupled Mag & Baro from the Level switch, than achieved stable Acro hover with the second 2 (ACC still needs trimming =)
Love it!
For the newbies out there: make sure you remove the prop adapter that sticks to the shaft when replacing props with adapters! I almost completely stripped a prop thread this way (witespy: see PM =)
P.S. also found out the Failsafe works on the Turnigy 9x: turned off my radio by mistake (right after landing, before I disarmed) and the quad went through the programmed motions =)
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Last edited by ro.bi.; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:23 AM
Macon, GA
Joined Sep 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
Check in the Assistant whether or not you are in safe mode. There may be other reasons as well but that's the first thing I would check.
im new to quads, i assume you meant to hook it up through the usb port to the wiiconfig software? i did that and didnt see anyhting different from the first time i set it up. i turn on my tx and then i plug in the rx, and before flight i move both sticks to the bottom left to arm the board. is that correct?
ronnie187 is offline Find More Posts by ronnie187
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Quote:
im new to quads, i assume you meant to hook it up through the usb port to the wiiconfig software? i did that and didnt see anyhting different from the first time i set it up. i turn on my tx and then i plug in the rx, and before flight i move both sticks to the bottom left to arm the board. is that correct?
Apologies, I thought you had the Naza flight controller, which allows to verify on the computer whether or not the failsafe is engaged. I am not able to help with your controller.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:53 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
That's a nice video DSLACK. I assume in order to get vids at that elevation you are flying FPV?

Made some PID changes on my quad, got it much more stable than how it came. Out of the box it was kinda 'mushy' feeling. Still have a little more work to do. I think I prefer no expo in TX, and .45 in config.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
check this out:
Arming - Hold right Yaw (or right cyclic) for 1 sec.
Disarming - Learn to DISARM the ESC's before touching or approaching the Copter ESC's/Motors can start suddenly and the props can cut - fingers and eyes - permanent injuries With THRO OFF ; Hold the YAW stick LEFt for 1 sec
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:30 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Need some advice on the stock Turnigy 9x:

I'd like to keep the Heli Mode Witespy programmed for my Quad but also add another Mode where I can play with the settings (be able to revert to the functioning but limited Mode Witespy programmed with only the 2-pos Gear swich for AUX1).

What is the best way to do this? Can I Copy his Mode and change the copy to "heli 90deg mode"? I'm reading this "will work the same as acro but will give you access to throttle curve which acro doesnt"?

On this new "heli 90deg mode" I would like to implement the Gear-FreeFlight combo to achieve this: "MIX function of GEAR and FLAP".

I've read "Flight Mode Switch on Turnigy 9x Transmitte with standard Firmware" but it's a little too short for my knowledge ...

Thanks -
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
SCPhoto, did you get your Naza replaced or fixed?
Naza was replaced. I guess I need another frame now!

Been flying an OP Board and climbing that learning curve. Wow!

Like them both - but really different. In my experience the Naza feels more locked in but less lively like its on Di-naza-pam! (Diazapam - tranquilizer)
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto