SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Awesome time!

I finally replaced a dodgy Rx and that was the cause of my problems of : it would wobble sometimes, then not and/or have it's own throttle setting, regardless of the transmitter settings...

Anyways, sorted that out, my prop destruction vs. time on the sticks has significantly reduced! I'll still buy more, but I'm going through less of them. Also, I'm FINALLY getting RealFlight and going to spend mucho time on it; still have difficulty orientating myself on a side-in profile...

Anyways, chimed in here to say awesome job and awesome customer service, Paul and Tom!

We really appreciate it, knowing our hard-earned money is not wasted on this
hobby!

BTW, to kgreylgrey:
my times with a 3S2200 30C are 7:40 with mixed flying, i.e, couple of quick hovers, out and backs, just practice, nothing heavy with the sticks.

Joe
motojoe996 is offline Find More Posts by motojoe996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, AZ, Snowflake
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Well, today has been the best of times and the worst of times. On my last flight, I lost my quad! The wind was about 5 mph with gusts to about 10, but the quad was doing very well, considering the wind. I was doing some aggressive moves at about 50 ft up and it got away from me. While trying to correct it climbed to about 300 ft. From there things just got worse. It was like it got caught in the Jet Stream. In no time at all, it was almost out of sight and I had lost my orientation with the tail. It seemed that no matter what I did, it just flew farther and farther away and higher. Then when I thought I had it headed back in the right direction, the battery died (I think) cause I saw it just start falling out of the sky.

We live on 30 acres with state land behind us. We looked for hours with no joy. The land is heavily populated with old growth juniper trees about 15 to 30 ft tall and just about as big around and sage brush on the ground (east central AZ). Good chance it is stuck in a tree somewhere. It was so far away when it went down (especially once it dropped below the tree line) we really don't have a good feel for how far away it was. We will continue the search tomorrow, but I'm afraid it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I only have myself to blame - just got a little too cocky.
kgreylgrey is offline Find More Posts by kgreylgrey
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreylgrey View Post
That's terrible! Sorry to hear that. I've only gotten to fly mine a few times (rain and snow are preventing it), and I can't fly well enough yet to do any aggressive moves. This is exactly the sort of thing I am paranoid about when I fly. I really hope you find your quad!
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Well, today has been the best of times and the worst of times. On my last flight, I lost my quad! The wind was about 5 mph with gusts to about 10, but the quad was doing very well, considering the wind. I was doing some aggressive moves at about 50 ft up and it got away from me. While trying to correct it climbed to about 300 ft. From there things just got worse. It was like it got caught in the Jet Stream. In no time at all, it was almost out of sight and I had lost my orientation with the tail. It seemed that no matter what I did, it just flew farther and farther away and higher. Then when I thought I had it headed back in the right direction, the battery died (I think) cause I saw it just start falling out of the sky.

We live on 30 acres with state land behind us. We looked for hours with no joy. The land is heavily populated with old growth juniper trees about 15 to 30 ft tall and just about as big around and sage brush on the ground (east central AZ). Good chance it is stuck in a tree somewhere. It was so far away when it went down (especially once it dropped below the tree line) we really don't have a good feel for how far away it was. We will continue the search tomorrow, but I'm afraid it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Ken,
I am speechless. I so feel your pain! Best of luck finding it in the morning!
Alan
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,938 Posts
Quote:

Noooooooooooo!

Well, if it makes you feel any better I had the exact same thing with my first quad, a GAUI 330X. The complete destruction of the quad and the high cost of the replacement parts is how I started cutting frames in the first place.

Good luck, I hope you find it. Set up a grid pattern and work it precisely instead of wandering aimlessly and I am sure you'll find it.

tom
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Dude, that sucks!

Sounds like we've all been there.

I have had it get away quickly too, but luckily chopped the throttle and prayed...found it down the street on its head with all four props broke, but that was it.

Good luck on your search.

Joe
motojoe996 is offline Find More Posts by motojoe996
Last edited by motojoe996; Jan 19, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
Ken,
I am so sorry to hear that. I have been in the same boat as there is water behind where I fly and I lost a Heli in there once. Good luck with your search. It is a painful experience.
Paul Braatelien is offline Find More Posts by Paul Braatelien
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
wow
sorry to hear that..
but I have an idea for you..

if you have a local airport--not a commercial one-- go to there airport and ck in with the guys there..ask about the local EAA Chapter...Experimental Aircraft Group...
those guys will fly over your property and ck for the quad for you and give you GPS Coordinates..those guyz are great and enjoy all types of flying..most are RC guyz too..
when they here watt you have and your story im sure thay will help...

hope you get it back
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, AZ, Snowflake
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Found It!!!!

Soooooo happy! Looks like the only damage to the quad was one broken landing leg. It was right side up with the broken landing leg buried in the ground. The only other casualty was my 3000 mah battery - voltage was 1.3v. No damage to the props - not even on the one with the broken landing gear. Put a fresh battery in and took for quick test hover. Everything appears to be OK. It's a little twitchy in a hover, like when I was flying it with the 5000 mah battery, but it's also very windy right now. Well, at least I'll get a good night's sleep tonight!
kgreylgrey is offline Find More Posts by kgreylgrey
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,938 Posts
yay!!!

Paul and I were just discussing this a few minutes ago and we were hoping you'd found it!

That is great news.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Found It!!!!

Soooooo happy! Looks like the only damage to the quad was one broken landing leg. It was right side up with the broken landing leg buried in the ground. The only other casualty was my 3000 mah battery - voltage was 1.3v. No damage to the props - not even on the one with the broken landing gear. Put a fresh battery in and took for quick test hover. Everything appears to be OK. It's a little twitchy in a hover, like when I was flying it with the 5000 mah battery, but it's also very windy right now. Well, at least I'll get a good night's sleep tonight!
Break out the g10 scraps and the CA! Glad to hear you found it and with such minimal damage!
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
great news!
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Found It!!!!

That is great news…..I think we were all living the highs and lows with you!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,706 Posts
Painting the quad?

Has anyone painted any of the structure of their Witespy quad. I am thinking of painting the legs on mine florescent green and red to help with orientation when it is more than a few feet away. The red ball on the front can get lost pretty quick when that thing is 50 feet away and moving.

I'm thinking if I lightly sand the legs, prime them and then paint them with a good spray paint, it should last a while since the flex is minimal, well, except when I forget it's not a fixed wing and cut power too soon;-)

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Dec 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Found It!!!!

I knew you woud..
thehaw24 is offline Find More Posts by thehaw24