HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,472 Posts
Hey Witespy, did you update the PDF file with thses settings. also PM sent.

Tony97, Yea change the level setting to 8 or 9 it makes a huge difference. and set the P down as well. try 3.5 leave the yaw where it is.

I have 20 flights or so on my witespy quad and with the level adjusted lower it flys near perfect. No flips. also when adjusting your trim in level mode. you do not use the trims on the radio. you have to disarm the motors, put the throttle stick in the up position and use your pitch and roll stick if you move it to the direction you want to change you need to go full deflection and back to center, and so on may need to do it several times. I will make a video late to better help with this.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,472 Posts
Here is a video I made to help with the trim when in auto level mode. make sure your auto level is switched on when doing this. Also sorry for the crappy shaking in the video. I just hope I can lead everyone in the right direction. If people are having problems with there quad you can PM mee and I will do my best to help.
S8302271 (1 min 52 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:40 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Now being a total new person to this I wanted to investigate all options of saving my quad etc. due to my inexperience. Even thought the frame is a little different and also bigger than the Gaui I decided to buy the Guai protection frame. It's cheap enough really. I think I paid like $16.99. So to fit it to witespy's quad I had to mod it just a little. Basically drilling new holes in the rubber to line up with the holes on the motor mount arms. Also drilled hole thru the top so that the motor shafts which are extended down on mine would go thru it without touching or rubbing. (don't know if these can be cut off).The plastic tubes between the bumpers just fit. I believe you glue these in since the instructions say nothing except a drawing of a hand holding what appears to be a sqeeze bottle toward that. The white tubes are hollow but I think you can get something similar in Home Depot and just cut to length.
Big thing is I haven't tried it yet. Raining and major snow storm coming tonite. My thoughts though on these. Close to the ground if you start to tip the quad too much for some reason or wind you'll save your props, when in flight if you say bump against a tree or something you should just bounce back and not hit your prop (makes flying closer to objects a little safer), and finally I think it will help in seeing the orientation of your quad.
Again I'm totally new so this may be a pipe dream and really do nothing. Just throwing this out to everyone as a possible option. Oh also might be cool with the LED lights around these???

The rods coming out from under the motor are aluminum.

seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Witespy,

Please mail me that CD.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
NO problem.

with the quad ones get a CD with super secret instructions , and videos.
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Trims work though don't they? I think I see what you mean though. Ideally you want to be able to NOT use transmitter trims and have a seamless transition from non auto level to auto level right?

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
Hey Witespy, did you update the PDF file with thses settings. also PM sent.

Tony97, Yea change the level setting to 8 or 9 it makes a huge difference. and set the P down as well. try 3.5 leave the yaw where it is.

I have 20 flights or so on my witespy quad and with the level adjusted lower it flys near perfect. No flips. also when adjusting your trim in level mode. you do not use the trims on the radio. you have to disarm the motors, put the throttle stick in the up position and use your pitch and roll stick if you move it to the direction you want to change you need to go full deflection and back to center, and so on may need to do it several times. I will make a video late to better help with this.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:53 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,472 Posts
Put me down for one Too Please!!!!!!! need one with all the updated stuff.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
On board video

I threw a Kodak camera on the top of my Witespy Quad and flew it. No fancy mount at all. Just bolted it to the top plate. You can "hopefully" see how the quad flies. This was without auto level. I still have to try everyones ideas with the auto level. My goal to try tonight or tomorrow.

Winds were up around 7-11 in this video. No bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHRA0YFcm0U
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:56 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
umm same here all the updated stuff would be good.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Ran 3 packs through just now. A little windy but it did fine. Did some video of my street. I should be tweaking the auto level values vice goofing around and flying but the quad is just so fun I can't stop flying it.

Here is a picture of what my Witespy Quad weighs. 1 pound, 12 ounces. The battery Witespy sent with it weighs 6.6 ounces. Plenty of power! I put a 5 ounce camera on it and I couldn't tell it was there flying it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:02 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,472 Posts
Nice video. let me know if you need any more help adjusting your Quad. I got mine flying near perfect. in both regular and stable mode.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Witespy,

I didn't get the CD with the quad. Just going by what you sent me via emails. Got me to this point but updated info would be great. Also, perhaps you can make a distribution list with all your customers on it. When you have a good update or know of something we should do, please keep us in the loop.

I also recommend on future orders checking to see if customers use Deans Ultra connectors or not. I don't use those connectors that came on the quad and battery. Just a thought.

I cut that connector off the battery and made a jumper with a Deans that stays on the quad so I can put other batteries I have on it.

I have a MAXAMPS 11.1 6500 150c discharge rate pack. OK to use? I know you said bigger battery is OK but will it be ok with that high of a discharge rate?

Keep the tips coming. A cd or email of updated info would be great to have.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
umm same here all the updated stuff would be good.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
What is the reason for flying in "stable" mode or auto level mode? Just so you can relax more on the sticks? Not sure if I like it or see the use of it yet. I guess this is because I don't have it set up right. Just seems harder to fly in that mode than with it off. Does it act like some kind of autopilot in a sence?

Thanks TC3wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
Nice video. let me know if you need any more help adjusting your Quad. I got mine flying near perfect. in both regular and stable mode.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:11 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,472 Posts
it is basically like an autopilot. will help stablize the quad for filming etc. it is a nice feature to have. Tony do you have ver 1pre7 and the gui for it on your computer. if not I can e-mail it to ya.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I didn't balance props but thought Witespy would have done this when he shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
PID tuning is a new thing for me as well. Kind of fun to experiment with settings as long as you are not crashing and breaking parts as a result.

There is a blog around here somewhere with detailed explanations about the Wii Multi PID loops and what the values mean, but things are in a constant state of change.

Oh, did you balance the props?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
How do you recommend to disable the motors? Unplug one wire from each or unplug throttle plug, or not arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
This needed to be done to match your transmitter. To get flying level in mode modes. You have "two" trims .

Gyro calibration,
Full throttle down + full yaw left + full pitch down

ACC calibration:
Full throttle up (disable motors first !) + full yaw left + full pitch backward

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9550

Question: How should we calibrate the Autolevel/Stable mode in version 1.7.
1. Fly with acro mode on and see the drift direction.
2. Adjust the roll/pitch trims on the TX to compensate in the correct direction
3. If the trim is not ok repeat step 2
4. Calibrate ACC, activate level mode and fly
5. Land and adjust the roll/pitch software ACC trims via the TX to compensate in the correct direction
6. Fly again ang go to step 5 if the trim is not ok
Keep doing this until it is basically stable in roll/pitch for drift. Expect to do it at least 3 times.

__________________________________________________ ________________

How to trim your Copter: only 1.7pre version

1. Trim in "acro" = headholding mode:

Calibration is made on each power on, but you can do it manually like before:
Full throttle down + full yaw left + full pitch down

Just fly in acro mode and trim your copter with the trims on your transmitter.
No need to land, just do it in the air and trim as long as it looks good for you.

2. Trim in "stable" = ACC mode:

1. You have to trim your copter in "acro" mode before. So your copter is perfectly trimmed in acro mode. Otherwise you are overmixing trims from acro mode to stable mode and you have to trim stable mode again.

2. You have to calibrate ACC.
Copter must be stable and level at the ground.
Motors disarmed.
Full throttle up + full yaw left + full pitch backward

3. Now start motors and fly in stable mode.
Normally its better to start here as normal in acro mode and switch to stable mode while in the air. Because if stable mode needs much trim, its easier to fly in acro mode.

Okay, so you are now with stable mode in the air and the copter drifts to the right and backwards.
Switch back to acro (easier to land) and land your copter.
Disarm motors.

4. Now trim the ACC mode.
Don't touch your trims on the transmitter.
Give full throttle (must be >1900)
With the help of your roll and pitch stick you could now trim the ACC mode.
full PITCH forward/backward and full ROLL left/right (2 axis possibilities) will trim the level mode according to the neutral angle you want to change. The status LED will blink to confirm each ticks.

So in our example above, i have to move the pitch stick full forward about 4-5x. That means from neutral to full and back to neutral, 4-5 times.
the led each time blink, when move full forward.
The same for the roll axis. About 1-2x full roll to the left, because my drift on the roll was less than on the pitch axis.

After that start your motors and do again 3. until your copter is complete in level in ACC mode.

If you want to reset the ACC trims, just do step 2. (ACC calibration)