Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:09 AM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
True. A diagram of the wiring pertaining to our specific witespy quad would go a long ways in us trouble shooting it when need be. Haven't hovered yet myself but have flown finally. Not always in the direction I intended LOL but that's being worked out. I did try stable mode though and it worked fairly good.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
To clarify a little on my last post, by hover I meant that I have a hard time getting it to hold altitude. I actually have it trimmed moderately well and can keep it in about a 10 square foot area with not too much stick input (good thing too...see my LZ image below!), but it seems like as soon as it starts to level off on altitude it will drop, and it takes a number of clicks up on the throttle to stop the decent by which time the motors are spinning so fast it will start to climb. I've also noticed that sometimes as it is getting out of the ground affect and up to about 4' it will just barely hold altitude, then start to climb at a medium pace without my giving it any input. A single click or two down on throttle usually does nothing or causes it to start to drop. The only way I can come close to holding altitude is to constantly move the throttle a few clicks up and down, then I can keep it within about a half foot of the same altitude until I go a little too far in either direction (which doesn't take long to happen).

So that's my biggest problem right now and I wonder how much it has to do with my radio not being very precise. I have a Spektrum DX5e with no expos or other computer controls, just basic trims, reverse switches and dual rates.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
If you set-up in heli mode. you can put a curve on the throttle channel ..

got the new motors in and frames should be here soon/... next round of quad coming very soon.

Sorry guys i have been gone all weekend
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Apr 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
To clarify a little on my last post, by hover I meant that I have a hard time getting it to hold altitude. I actually have it trimmed moderately well and can keep it in about a 10 square foot area with not too much stick input (good thing too...see my LZ image below!), but it seems like as soon as it starts to level off on altitude it will drop, and it takes a number of clicks up on the throttle to stop the decent by which time the motors are spinning so fast it will start to climb. I've also noticed that sometimes as it is getting out of the ground affect and up to about 4' it will just barely hold altitude, then start to climb at a medium pace without my giving it any input. A single click or two down on throttle usually does nothing or causes it to start to drop. The only way I can come close to holding altitude is to constantly move the throttle a few clicks up and down, then I can keep it within about a half foot of the same altitude until I go a little too far in either direction (which doesn't take long to happen).

So that's my biggest problem right now and I wonder how much it has to do with my radio not being very precise. I have a Spektrum DX5e with no expos or other computer controls, just basic trims, reverse switches and dual rates.
hummm... dx5e.... I think the biggest problem is setting the end points... I dont think you can go above 100% with the dx5e and the MultiWii GUI needs to see , something like 115% to 130% to get it setup correct....
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Mar 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
If you set-up in heli mode. you can put a curve on the throttle channel ..

got the new motors in and frames should be here soon/... next round of quad coming very soon.

Sorry guys i have been gone all weekend
I'm really liking the new look of your builds with the new secret Black Motors and the mesh gives it sort of a diamond plate look to it. Very industrial looking. Put on the Dome, Angel LED and LED strips and it looks like something from area 51.
earlmact is offline Find More Posts by earlmact
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmact View Post
I'm really liking the new look of your builds with the new secret Black Motors and the mesh gives it sort of a diamond plate look to it. Very industrial looking. Put on the Dome, Angel LED and LED strips and it looks like something from area 51.
I'll send you some black mesh if you want.

This is such an awesome photo earlmact.... wow.. soo cool I need to hook you up and Tony97 for the manual , t3wins for all the extra help.seadog too.... you guys are awesome.

Last edited by witespy; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Now that looks sharp!!!! Very nice picture!!!

Witespy - send me a PM when mesh on its way. I will be doing some tweaking on the quad and will install. I am putting a new bottom plate on to mount the Go Pro. I could put mesh on at same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
I'll send you some black mesh if you want.

This is such an awesome photo earlmact.... wow.. soo cool I need to hook you up and Tony97 for the manuel , t3wins for all the extra help. you guys are awesome.

Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Hauntfreaks has a great point about the 5e. Were you able to get the 1000 and 2000 ATV settings ok with that radio?

When I read your post I sort of wonder if it is flying normal. Any way you can post video of it in a hover? Look at earlier posts in this thread of mine in a hover. I don't have a ton of helicopter experiance but a quad seems to fly like a fixed pitch helicopter to me. So if you are flying in a room or lower than 5' above the ground, you will see all kind of ballooning and movement of the quad due to the air. It is harder to maintain a nice set hover in a room with all the rough air blowing around. A quad puts off a ton of prop wash. Does it work outside ok or same issue?

I think I read that you have other helos so you know what I am talking about. Maybe I am getting you confused with someone else. If you are new to helos, you will see this when flying in a room. Post video of it so we can help you further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post

Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:55 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,217 Posts
I told him I would call him and walk him through the process. and get him all fixed up, but I think the DX5 may be his problem.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,914 Posts
[QUOTE=mattchase;17931312I have a hard time getting it to hold altitude. I actually have it trimmed moderately well and can keep it in about a 10 square foot area with not too much stick input (good thing too...see my LZ image below!), but it seems like as soon as it starts to level off on altitude it will drop, and it takes a number of clicks up on the throttle to stop the decent by which time the motors are spinning so fast it will start to climb. [/QUOTE]

This is just part of flying quads and helictopers in general. Quads are a bit more sensitive to throttle as they are grossly overpowered for their size, and the throttle response is quicker than most helicopters. Flying quads (or any helicopter) means constantly working the throttle to hold altitude.
vic20owner is online now Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Witespy Manual V9

I am done with version 9. I added good info in the begining of the manual. I will convert it to .pdf in the morning and post.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Tony, no I am not able to get the full range, I can get 1100 to 1900. I saw a post somewhere that said that range should be enough, but I still wondered if that was an issue. I've already decided I'm going to get the 2.4ghz module for my Hitec Optic 6 radio and see if that helps. I have minimal experience with helis, I have flown a friends Blade CP a few times, and I've flown them in Phoenix Flight Sim. I have a moderate amount of experience with planes and cars. I haven't flown outside yet, it's been fairly windy here lately so I stayed indoors. I can definitely see the turbulence at low levels, once the quad is about chest high it smooths out a lot. I also have wondered if there could be some turbulence or other effects from the ceiling similar to the ground effect? I've been trying to stay at least 3'-4' below the ceiling in case it was causing any issues (and to avoid hitting it!).

Tc3wins, I might still take you up on that offer. I'm not real big on phones, unless it's to text or get online but if I still have problems after I get my Optic 6 up and running then maybe we will chat.

Vic, thanks for confirming that. Do you think a radio with a higher resolution / precision throttle might help any, or is it pretty much always going to be the case? Either way, in my last few practice flights I've been focusing on working the throttle to try to get used to that task.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,217 Posts
Yea It is easier for me to explain on the phone. my key board is kinda messed up and I am constantly haveing to retype stuff before sending it.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:53 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
This is just part of flying quads and helictopers in general. Quads are a bit more sensitive to throttle as they are grossly overpowered for their size, and the throttle response is quicker than most helicopters. Flying quads (or any helicopter) means constantly working the throttle to hold altitude.
True.

If I set my throttle curve to make my stick less sensitive at mid range has helped me .

setting up in heli mode can be a pain in the butt.

P.s----- still no luck finding Black stand offs. (big or small) So I found that Black "plastic" spray paint works well. I'll spray all mine now, you guy can too. (just do not forget to paint to nuts too )

Last edited by witespy; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Updated Version 9 of Witespy Quadcopter Manual

V10 out.
Last edited by Tony97; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM.