HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Tony,

I've been reading all the posts and some of the Wii wiki trying to understand all of this. It is very technical and even for a technie type of guy like myself, some of it is very confusing as it is full of acronyms and stick positions that aren't always very well explained. I think what you have posted above is looking very good, it is clear and there are not too many acronyms (and you explain them), it isn't too technical nor too simplified. If you are working on a full manual written in this same manner I look forward to reading it.

And I must say, coming from a basic plane background steps 10-14 are new to me. Trimming to me was always about tweaking the transmitter trims, I have never heard of doing it in the way you describe and in all the stuff I've read I either missed it (very possible with the amount of scattered, technical information I've found) or it simply wasn't there. That is some VERY important information!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Matt,

Thanks for the post. Glad the info helps. The manual isn't some 100 page quads for dummies. It is about 20 pages on how to get started if you purchased a quad from Witespy. However it may be useful to others.

I just tried the procedure myself and it worked perfect. I know it is odd not to use trims to trim out an aircraft or car.

You trim out the quad in the normal or what's called ACRO mode with your transmitter trims. Easy to do and won't take much if calibrated correctly.

Now the STABLE or AUTOLEVEL mode also called ACRO mode, is different. Almost think of it as a completely different model. If you trimmed in NORMAL mode then went to STABLE mode and used transmitter trims, when you went back to NORMAL mode it would cancel out or totally change what you trimmed out in the NORMAL mode. So....you use transmitter trims in NORMAL mode ONLY. You land and disarm the controller, put left stick full up to let the board know you want to adjust some movement in the STABLE mode. Each movement of the right stick from center towards the disired trim direction is basically like putting in one "click" of trim.

Does that make sence? For example, my quad in STABLE mode always wanted to drift forward. All I did to fix this was land it, disarm motors (full left on throttle), you will see green light on board go out. Advance left stick full throttle. I then felt like I needed one click of BACK on pitch. So I then moved my right stick one time from center to full back. I saw the green light on my board blink quickly (it didn't beep, need to fix my directions), then I released right stick to center, put left stick full down, armed motors and flew. It was almost there but still drifted or pitched forward. So I just repeated procedure and that did it. PERFECT now.

Hope that helps. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. I thought disarm motors might mean to unhook them, how will this stick bump method work, do you use trims on transmitter, etc. Hope this clears up.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Tony,

I've been reading all the posts and some of the Wii wiki trying to understand all of this. It is very technical and even for a technie type of guy like myself, some of it is very confusing as it is full of acronyms and stick positions that aren't always very well explained. I think what you have posted above is looking very good, it is clear and there are not too many acronyms (and you explain them), it isn't too technical nor too simplified. If you are working on a full manual written in this same manner I look forward to reading it.

And I must say, coming from a basic plane background steps 10-14 are new to me. Trimming to me was always about tweaking the transmitter trims, I have never heard of doing it in the way you describe and in all the stuff I've read I either missed it (very possible with the amount of scattered, technical information I've found) or it simply wasn't there. That is some VERY important information!
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Matt
tc3wins did this video to show you. Might help having a visual.
S8302271 (1 min 52 sec)
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:41 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
I will make a better video on my next day off.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
I will make a better video on my next day off.
Sounds good. I was about to make one tonight but I will work on the direction packet more.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Tony, makes sense now that you explained it. I am dead in the...er, water...at the moment. My Lipo is low and I don't have any XT60 plugs so can't charge it, I'm waiting for some to arrive later this week. So I've had time to spend reading about quads and taking some photos of mine. Yup, another photographer here, I actually bought the quad because I do videography work and I want to do aerial videography. I've actually done a little in the past (just personal stuff) with my planes but the footage just isn't the same as with a heli. I've flown some beginner counter rotating prop helis before successfully but never tried a full size single prop heli. When Seadog showed me the quad I figured that is the way to go, seems the learning curve on flying them is easier than a regular heli and also seems it would be safer than a large heli with it's big decapitating prop should something go wrong.

And thanks for the video, that is a good way of putting actions to the words.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Glad to help. I will try to put the calibration to video soon. TC3WINS will do the same.

Convert your XT60 plugs to Deans or what you need or just make a jumper. This is what I did. I should have told Witespy upon my initial order I use ONLY Deans Ultra connectors. The wires are very short for me to get in there right now to swap plugs so I just cut the connector of the battery he sent and added a male Deans to it. Then I put a female Deans on the battery and I was up and running.

I just ordered batteries from Hobby King USA location and got them 3 days later. They come with XT60 plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Tony, makes sense now that you explained it. I am dead in the...er, water...at the moment. My Lipo is low and I don't have any XT60 plugs so can't charge it, I'm waiting for some to arrive later this week. So I've had time to spend reading about quads and taking some photos of mine. Yup, another photographer here, I actually bought the quad because I do videography work and I want to do aerial videography. I've actually done a little in the past (just personal stuff) with my planes but the footage just isn't the same as with a heli. I've flown some beginner counter rotating prop helis before successfully but never tried a full size single prop heli. When Seadog showed me the quad I figured that is the way to go, seems the learning curve on flying them is easier than a regular heli and also seems it would be safer than a large heli with it's big decapitating prop should something go wrong.

And thanks for the video, that is a good way of putting actions to the words.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Just make sure you order from the US warehouse LOL
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Final verson of witespy owners manual done!!

Just finished the owners manual for the Witespy quad. I looks very good I think. Clear-and-easy to follow directions in common terms. Covers what do do before ordering from your quad as far as options and step-by-step how too for inventory of parts, initial setup, prop balance, radio setup, calibration, first flight, etc. Basic description on what the PID values mean as well.

It is not perfect but I think better than anything I have seen on RC Groups for a newbie. No need to weed through 812 pages of info to figure out how to bind your radio and calibrate your quad. It's all right in the 22 page packet.

PM me if you want it. I will figure out what to do as far as posting it. I think you can post .pdf or .docs on here.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:59 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Matt
tc3wins did this video to show you. Might help having a visual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dchQv...er_profilepage
Matt video looks good, it should help the new guys getting there multiwii copters setup... I would add why you must do the low throttle + left yaw (disarming the motors) and how VERY important this is.... also what your actually adjusting in the video (and that would be the ACC trim).... maybe even run thru the process on how to calibrate the gyro and acc... more or less a video version of this....

How to trim your MultiWii Copter with v1.7

1. Trim in "acro" = headholding mode:

Calibration is made on each power on, but you can do it manually like before:
Full throttle down + full yaw left + full pitch down

Just fly in acro mode and trim your copter with the trims on your transmitter.
No need to land, just do it in the air and trim as long as it looks good for you.

2. Trim in "stable" = ACC mode:

1. You have to trim your copter in "acro" mode before. So your copter is perfectly trimmed in acro mode. Otherwise you are overmixing trims from acro mode to stable mode and you have to trim stable mode again.

2. You have to calibrate ACC.
Copter must be stable and level at the ground.
Motors disarmed.
Full throttle up + full yaw left + full pitch backward

3. Now start motors and fly in stable mode.
Normally its better to start here as normal in acro mode and switch to stable mode while in the air. Because if stable mode needs much trim, its easier to fly in acro mode.

Okay, so you are now with stable mode in the air and the copter drifts to the right and backwards.
Switch back to acro (easier to land) and land your copter.
Disarm motors.

4. Now trim the ACC mode.
Don't touch your trims on the transmitter.
Give full throttle (must be >1900)
With the help of your roll and pitch stick you could now trim the ACC mode.
full PITCH forward/backward and full ROLL left/right (2 axis possibilities) will trim the level mode according to the neutral angle you want to change. The status LED will blink to confirm each ticks.
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
flyhigh300 has made a video on using the config Gui that should help the guys that might not understand what its used for....

How to Use Multi Wii Config.avi (3 min 15 sec)
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntfreaks View Post
flyhigh300 has made a video on using the config Gui that should help the guys that might not understand what its used for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3MlyRvy9w
Thanks. This is really moving along as to how to setup and adjust the witespy quad. Having one location without 800 posts to swim thru will keep the users from getting disappointed.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:39 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Do not forget that you might need to To calibrate your esc's

esc to rx, turn on tx and put throttle full up, then connect battery and motor beeps once and you put throttle down before it goes into programing mode and it should beep again telling it is ready.

and more info on how the graph should look..

Now when you pitch the aircraft forward the pitch numbers should go positive and the graph should show positive data for the pitch channel.
Inversely pitch back on the aircraft and the pitch numbers should go negative and reflect that in the graph as well.
Likewise if you roll the aircraft to the right (viewed from the back) the roll numbers should go positive and the graph should reflect that.
Inversely when you roll left the roll numbers should go negative and the graph should reflect that too.
When you yaw the aircraft to the right, the yaw numbers should go positive and be reflected in the graph.
When you yaw left the yaw numbers should go negative and be reflected in the graph data.
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Apr 05, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Witespy manual

New update soon. See page 16
Last edited by Tony97; Apr 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Ahhhh,

Figures....after I posted the manual, I saw a post from Witespy on what to add to the manual. No time now, use V7 for now. I will update his into into it soon.

Tony