HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Runaway Quad

Witespy,
Thanks for posting that video. Do you number the quads you ship so you would know which ones have what firmware, wiring fixes, etc.?

Can you post detailed directions on how to check and see if we have this fix on our quads or how to make this mod on our quads you built?

Good info but can we get more on how to do this ourselves?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:50 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,162 Posts
yes witespy. That pretty much sounds what happened to mine. I think the throttle connection to the rx probably came loose and off she went but while high up might of regained connection for a second so shutting the power off on tx caused it to drop?? Any way you can either take pictures or something to better show what wires and where for me to disconnect and re connect. electronics are far from my knowledge. I look at the board and wires and they are all spaghetti to me.
That video does make me feel better than I am not alone in this happening.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:52 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,227 Posts
Look at the motor out connections.... You should only see one wire per motor.....

and you will see the power and ground coming out the side of the quad to the RX,, then down the throttle channel to the board..

@seadog...... NO that is the weird thing.... I am not sure why your motor cut then your turn off your TX>
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
That is what I was just thinking. If he shut off his transmitter, it should have not made any difference. I quit like he does have his failsafe mode from the receiver powering the board.

Motor out connections? You mean from the speed controller? Looks like there are the standard 3 wires from the controller. Need more info or pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
Look at the motor out connections.... You should only see one wire per motor.....

and you will see the power and ground coming out the side of the quad to the RX,, then down the throttle channel to the board..

@seadog...... NO that is the weird thing.... I am not sure why your motor cut then your turn off your TX>
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Mar 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Can I put your main picture on the cover of the Witespy RTF manual I am making? Such a cool pic man!!!! I emailed you a copy of the manual to hopefully get you going. Email me if you need help. I can even call you and tell you what I know or did (I am no expert but may be able to help).
No problem, Just give me a by line.
earlmact is offline Find More Posts by earlmact
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Sure thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmact View Post
No problem, Just give me a by line.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:03 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
I've uploaded some more photos take a look if you are interested.

Witespy Quad Photos
great lookin photos... and one hell of a studio
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,162 Posts
Quote:

I keep going thru my head exact moves before this happened. I had just brought the quad up to about chest level maybe 8 ft. from me. Didn't move the throttle all the way up did nothing. She shot up I move the throttle down nothing happened and she kept climbing. Wonder if I should of moved it left to disarm the motors but at that moment I was in a state of panic. That baby can move and being in a residential area a million nasty pictures flashed before me. So I just turned of the TX and down it came?? I was thinking that maybe the throttle connection on rx came loose a little and when it was way up there connected for a moment but if it did that then with the throttle all the way down on my TX it should of dropped then?? So I'm stumped. Tom said he was contacted about some similar crashes??
Biggest thing though is could you post a photo of the top of quad and circuits showing what wire you're talking about and what to do. I have three wires for each motor on the board. white black and red? and three wires going to my rx throttle. We really need a visual to explain.
Thanks
Warren
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,162 Posts
Quote:
I've uploaded some more photos take a look if you are interested.

Witespy Quad Photos
Nice studio setup. Makes me miss it. My house is too small to set up a decent studio. Mine was in an old factory converted to small business. When I closed it about 10 yrs ago I got rid of most my stuff. The white lightnings lights, stands, backdrops, props etc. Kept a couple alien bees which I used for hair lights and could use at home for some informal shooting or product. Decided I preferred my nature/landscape shooting vs. portraits. So sold those lights to purchase the quad. Retirements nice but it's either you have all the time to do what you want but no money. LOL or can work and not have the time. Might just start putting my other stuff in galleries to get more into this aerial photo/video stuff. Had one of the first 1Ds's that came out. Love full frame. Now just use the 5D. First 35mm camera was Mamyia Sekor which I used in my ancient Navy days back in the 60's,
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,162 Posts
Quote:

Looking at our boards vs. the video the wiring etc. is different. What wires are you talking about and then what are we to do with that wire. Video shows him removing wire then connecting someplace else??
Our boards. Motor wires have three wires. White, Black, Red.....
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Please prof my initial setup directions

Removed due to updated info.
Last edited by Tony97; Apr 04, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,162 Posts
Manual looking good Tony.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:37 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,227 Posts
seadog.

my internet is fail....I am trying to upload it again.

It tells how to hook it back up...

witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Hope this is the video of the way to fix the run-away quad issues.

Witespy-please let me know what you think about the manual? Please chime in to the initial flight directions posted above. PLEASE.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Manual looking good Tony.

Thanks. I added more today. Its about ready to be final. Added info about PID as well. I don't want to put too much in the manual. It's mainly to get the Witespy quad flying once it arrives to the customer.