HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Last edited by oyibox; Oct 10, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
Witespy , please tell me whether this foam on the baro is supposed to help when gust wind or not ?

for noobs like me who like AP & VP, i've noticed that reducing the RC rate below 0.5 does help me a lot to keep the quad very stable cause it was very very nervous. Also, the quadrino seems to dislike high center of gravity, it means that its better to have nothing above the props (i've moved down my gopro and its hardcase)

i use dev20110714 with the correction set to 75 (it was 100 by default) and its like 1.8 is coming soon http://wbb.multiwii.com/

This is good information..

in theory the foam on the baro should help. But I can not tell any significant difference right now
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Non auto-level trimming is done while flying (generally), using the physical trim on your TX. Auto-level mode trimming is done with the board disarmed and on the ground (call it software trim). The board will be powered but not armed, as you will need to raise the throttle stick to maximum and don't want the thing to take off on you! In a nutshell, get it trimmed the best you can in acro mode (non auto-level mode), then while hovering switch on auto-level and observe which direction the quad wants to move. This will tell you what software trim to input to get auto-level mode working.

When I did this with mine it would drift right fairly quick, and slightly forward. So I landed, disarmed the board, moved my throttle to maximum, and then moved my roll stick from center to the left 10 times (this corrects the right lean) and moved my pitch stick from center position down to the lowest position 5 times (this corrects for the forward drift). You can tell if it is working correctly because every time you move a stick the LED on the board will flash (I think about 3 times) then stop flashing. This part wasn't working for me at first, the LED never flashed on the board and it was because I had too much trim set on my TX (not too much as in it was wrong, just so much that the board wasn't seeing when I moved the stick to trim auto-level mode). So if you put your throttle to maximum and move a stick but get no flashing, make sure your TX trim isn't too far one way or another (and remember to put it back to where it was if you change it, otherwise your non auto-level mode trim will be wrong). Next put your throttle at minimum and arm the board, take off and switch on auto-level (I actually never turned it off), and see if it still drifts or leans in any direction. If not, you are done. If it does, make note of which way and repeat the above steps.

I think there was a video posted of some one doing this but I don't remember where it is and don't have the time at the moment to look. If some one else doesn't find it first I will look next chance I get.
ok that sounds do-able...

wish this was in the manual ...there is a lot to learned but I need to know all the facts...
now it seems clearer....

ill try it..

tkx
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,246 Posts
Well, this is what I finally ended up with and it is loads better. Granted it wasn't a long test but I did this same circuit abut a dozen times with different settings and these settings are a huge improvement.

Quadrino new settings (1 min 2 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Jul 18, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
looks tons smoother for sure....
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Don't feel bad, it took me over a month before I found out I wasn't actually trimming auto-level mode correctly (er...at all!), and it was some one else who figured out why the LED wasn't blinking when I was trying to trim it.

Tech, looks good, I'm going to put my Witespy quad back together soon and will be trying those settings.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:45 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,246 Posts
FYI, this is with shorter arms, and an auw of about 990gr
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:09 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Paul, on the Paris board that you included with the earlier quads is the small board that mounts underneath the main board the auto-level sensor? I put the Paris board back on the quad and noticed the small board that I put underneath isn't sitting perfectly level, the foam on one side has sunk in a little. Also when doing the full throttle, yaw left, pitch back calibration the board will respond with LED blinking, but it won't stop until I unplug the power. Is that from it not sitting level, or something else?

Thanks.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:10 AM
United States, CA, Monterey Park
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got my Witespy RTF quad from Paul last week and hovered it nicely out of the box on day 1. It was stable and rock solid. This evening I put a fresh charged battery in it and it was going crazy on me. It kept wanting to flip backwards (nose kept going up). I kept trimming it down but it was just all over the place. Can the battery do weird things to the quad? Its the same zippy 2200 mah battery Paul sent in the package - no setting changes on the quad, just a freshly charged battery. I'm confused.....any help appreciated.

Thanks.
LocoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by LocoFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:56 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoFlyer View Post
Hi Guys,

I got my Witespy RTF quad from Paul last week and hovered it nicely out of the box on day 1. It was stable and rock solid. This evening I put a fresh charged battery in it and it was going crazy on me. It kept wanting to flip backwards (nose kept going up). I kept trimming it down but it was just all over the place. Can the battery do weird things to the quad? Its the same zippy 2200 mah battery Paul sent in the package - no setting changes on the quad, just a freshly charged battery. I'm confused.....any help appreciated.
Thanks.
are you sure your battery got charged ? What do all three cell read voltage wise ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Paul, on the Paris board that you included with the earlier quads is the small board that mounts underneath the main board the auto-level sensor? I put the Paris board back on the quad and noticed the small board that I put underneath isn't sitting perfectly level, the foam on one side has sunk in a little. Also when doing the full throttle, yaw left, pitch back calibration the board will respond with LED blinking, but it won't stop until I unplug the power. Is that from it not sitting level, or something else?

Thanks.

sounds like something else might be wrong. That Chip should not have to be level. The calibration should take care of that.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:04 PM
Rubbin's Racin
USA, Murrieta, California
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
@ witespy

Thanks for the instructional video. With that info I was able to get the motors spinning but now I need more help. First, how/where do I get that program you all are using for programming your quadrino? I'd like to check that I'm between 1000-2000 like you recommend in the video. Second, how do I wire the quadrino and configure it for the altitude hold and heading hold features? Thanks
FPVSCRacer is offline Find More Posts by FPVSCRacer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
get the 1.7 firmware here:

http://multiwii.googlecode.com/svn/t...ltiWiiV1_7.zip

Channel 5 is for turning on and off the various sensors, on the TX it is usually labeled as Mode or Gear. You can check to make sure the sensors turn on and off by plugging the board into your computer, load up the GUI, select your com port, click on start, then click on read. Look at the square boxes in the center-ish area of the GUI that are labeled "Level" (auto level / stable mode), "Mag" (heading hold), "Baro" (altitude hold). The square boxes are for telling the board which sensors to activate when the channel 5 switch is in various positions (low, medium, high...some TX have 2 positions, some have 3). A white box means the sensor will be on when the switch is in a given position, a grey box means it will be off. I would say the vast majority fly with at least level and baro off in the low box, and a lot probably have mag off as well, and have level set to the high box. If you have a 2 position switch you need to use low and high, the medium box is for the middle position on a 3 position switch. I would recommend leaving the baro off all the time for now as the code isn't very good and it can cause issues when flying. Personally I have mag set on for both low and high switch positions, and level set to on only in the high position.

Once you have all the boxes turned on or off as you want them, click on Write to send the info to the board before shutting off the GUI.

Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
get the 1.7 firmware here:

http://multiwii.googlecode.com/svn/t...ltiWiiV1_7.zip

Channel 5 is for turning on and off the various sensors, on the TX it is usually labeled as Mode or Gear. You can check to make sure the sensors turn on and off by plugging the board into your computer, load up the GUI, select your com port, click on start, then click on read. Look at the square boxes in the center-ish area of the GUI that are labeled "Level" (auto level / stable mode), "Mag" (heading hold), "Baro" (altitude hold). The square boxes are for telling the board which sensors to activate when the channel 5 switch is in various positions (low, medium, high...some TX have 2 positions, some have 3). A white box means the sensor will be on when the switch is in a given position, a grey box means it will be off. I would say the vast majority fly with at least level and baro off in the low box, and a lot probably have mag off as well, and have level set to the high box. If you have a 2 position switch you need to use low and high, the medium box is for the middle position on a 3 position switch. I would recommend leaving the baro off all the time for now as the code isn't very good and it can cause issues when flying. Personally I have mag set on for both low and high switch positions, and level set to on only in the high position.

Once you have all the boxes turned on or off as you want them, click on Write to send the info to the board before shutting off the GUI.

ok

when I try to set my ch5 I can use a 2 or 3 pos.sw..

it seems that this white on gray off is not working...
also it talks about acro mode and the regular mode..???
where is this ..tx?

I have mine trimmed to fly stable by the tx trims..
do I need to do a calibrate next..?

someone should piece this info together with a vid so one could go step by step...jumping around to different places to get a piece of info about 1 thing then back somewhere eles is very confusing..

any ideas??
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
well I finally got it..!!!

hovers great ..lotz of time tweaking.....BUT--

was up at about 30 feet getting useta moving around when---BAM !! the motors stopped and it flipped over then dropped like a rock...tried to catch it but was to far away....
it hit on the dome and cracked it..then when I flipped it over one prop was broke...

no extras...
wow have to buy props by the box !!

problem is that on this sunday Im to be at the local airport demoing my RC stuff..this would have been a Crowd please r

now Im tryin to get props b4 sunday...wish me luck !1

tkx for all the help in getting mine setup..
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,087 Posts
ok, I think I tweaked it enough to hover well with auto-level. hard to tell because I need a dead calm day to make it work. is it supposed to literally stay still other than going up or down based on throttle?

also, what are some decent batteries to get for this? I got the Zippy that comes with it and a Gforce 2200mah 3S.
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher