HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:42 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Measuring Speed

For anyone wanting to accurately measure their plane's speed without standing in front of it with a radar gun, there are a couple of options available to us.

1. If you have a smart phone running Apple or Android, you can get the RCSpeedo app for $3.99
You can take it with you to the field and literally point your phone at the plane as it flies by and it will measure the speed. Pretty accurate and consistent from my experience. More info in this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1322721&pp=50

2. Post a video and we can doppler it with stand-alone software for a little more accuracy.

Note that passes closest to the recording device will give the best measurements.

Also note that passes without diving are the best for reporting what a certain setup can do. For example, if you say "my plane went 104mph on 4S 2200mah with stock motor and 6x6 prop," that should be measured from a level pass.
It's the only way we can keep things consistent and avoid disappointing someone when they copy your setup, but get a slower speed because they didn't point it at the dirt with as much vengeance as you

It's totally fine to post speeds from dives. It's WAY fun!!
Just help us out by stating that it's from a dive.
For comparing one setup to another, it's much better to measure speed from level flight.

Murdo

Level passes, close to the camera for doppler measurement
Flight doesn't start till 2:15
Stryker Mega 22 60 1 5se 12S 4000 45c 7 4x8 1 5 15 11 (3 min 15 sec)
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:33 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,834 Posts
murdnunoc,

Excellent post.

For the last few years Stryker forums on both RCG and RCU have been known to be among the most factual forums.

While some other forums with different airframes from different manufacturers have been partially full of b.s. , Stryker forums have been right on the money.

No inflated speeds etc etc.

Stryker owners take pride in accuracy of their posts.

I hope the trend continues with the new F-27Q owners....no doubt it will.

None 3D related post:

With help of you pioneers: Here are “some” of the facts we need:

Actual speed of 100% stock Q in level flight.
3S static Watts and RPM
3S Watts and RPM at max speed
What's the first bottle neck? Battery, or ESC.
Max 3S prop using stock motor and ESC and battery.
Same type data with motor maxed on 3S along with prop size etc.
(I know about performance changes with better packs)

In-flight Watts needed for 100MPH flight with this airframe....(If motor is changed: prop must not be too small).

4S data on stock motor
max 4S data with stock motor.
Will it last on 4S and certain AMPs.

For those who want to smoke test: Can the motor take 5S.....and if so is there any real benefit.....can it last.

Better outrunners and better inrunners. (hopefully not "every" burp is followed with Hobby King).

Along the way, we will learn what the airframe is good for, what mods are needed and when....After Market quality motor mounts.

Castle ICE ESCs will help with most of the above, Eagle Tree systems data logger even better....or in conjunction.

And sticking to the facts,….lets see if there are consensus between the data answering the above questions…time will tell.

Have a happy 4th of July weekend to those of you in USA.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 01, 2011, 06:52 AM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
I would of called horizon and they would of sent you a new esc. and also replace the tails for you. Horizon has the best service i had ever delt with in this hobby. I have never had any issues with them. They would of had the new parts to you in less than a week. Good luck.
Eric
Thanks mate....but I'm in Australia..... No HH here!

LH shop didn't even ask if anything else got broken or asked how it happened!

So have taken back the broken ESC to the LHS, they just said 2weeks or so!

Well sad it is for me! , so I put in my own 60amp esc to keep her in the air!

Put a few more flights on her tonight.... She's fast! Hehe! Don't take your eyes off her at full throttle! Hehe! (or the sticks!)

Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:25 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,230 Posts
I just down loaded the RCSpeedo app. I'll try to get the Q out sometime today or tomorrow and run the 4s 1800. Looks like a good app, just like the Flightlog App.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:29 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
For anyone wanting to accurately measure their plane's speed without standing in front of it with a radar gun, there are a couple of options available to us.

1. If you have a smart phone running Apple or Android, you can get the RCSpeedo app for $3.99
You can take it with you to the field and literally point your phone at the plane as it flies by and it will measure the speed. Pretty accurate and consistent from my experience. More info in this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1322721&pp=50

2. Post a video and we can doppler it with stand-alone software for a little more accuracy.

Note that passes closest to the recording device will give the best measurements.

Also note that passes without diving are the best for reporting what a certain setup can do. For example, if you say "my plane went 104mph on 4S 2200mah with stock motor and 6x6 prop," that should be measured from a level pass.
It's the only way we can keep things consistent and avoid disappointing someone when they copy your setup, but get a slower speed because they didn't point it at the dirt with as much vengeance as you

It's totally fine to post speeds from dives. It's WAY fun!!
Just help us out by stating that it's from a dive.
For comparing one setup to another, it's much better to measure speed from level flight.

Murdo

Level passes, close to the camera for doppler measurement
Flight doesn't start till 2:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJX5jHhGNlI
nice vid!
I measured 184 mph at 3:53 and 207 mph at 4:25 on rcspeedo
that is movin'!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:31 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok, the day is finally here! Waiting on the brown truck to get to my lhs!!! Hopefully maiden tomorrow, supposed to be nice out, but 100 degrees.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Intermitent elevon problem

I was out flying my Stryker Q this morning. The first lipo went well, great plane. When I tested my controls before the second flight, the right elevons would not move. I tried various things, plug/unplug lipo, turn transmitter off&on, rebind, etc but nothing worked. When I got home, I tried it again and it worked right away Any idea what may be causing the problem? Is it safe to fly? I only put 3 batteries through it since getting it.
Guy
Yoguy17 is offline Find More Posts by Yoguy17
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:27 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Yup, sold out like always.

I noticed the Gens Ace 4s 1800 25C supposedly only weigh 186 grams. Too bad they're only 25C. Those nano-tech 35C will run faster. But how much faster?
From what I heard about Gens ACE is that their 25C is a real 25C. Not like the Turnigy stuff where their 35C may really be a 25C.

So far I bought a batch of Gens ACE packs and a batch of Turnigy Nano's. The Gens ACe ones are doing great! The Turnigy Nano's are all running a bit on the hot side. 2 of them are already starting to puff a little after a 6 minute flight in my stryker (original stryker with a setup that draws in the mid 40 amp range). The Turnigy Nano 3s 2200 45C packs get hot in that setup and I don't even run it full throttle all the time.

Meanwhile my Funjet has a 2600 3s 55C Gens Ace packs which are in a setup that draws mid-60's amps and they come down just barely warm.

I also have some smaller packs in both brands and the Gens Ace ones are staying cooler. Both brands do dump amps well but the Nano's getting hot like that means they're not going to last...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:37 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
The Cam's are hard to find indeed. I've looked for a 6x6, 6.5x6.5, and 7x7 and only Europe seems to have them for sale and they are few and far between and not one single vendor has all 3. I have a 6.5x5, but it'd for another plane. Anyone know where to get some Cam Speeds at?
You can try here: http://www.icare-rc.com/propellers_non_folding.htm

I've got some on order. Mine was delayed due to the Canadian postal strike which let up this last Tuesday.
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:40 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
From what I heard about Gens ACE is that their 25C is a real 25C. Not like the Turnigy stuff where their 35C may really be a 25C.

So far I bought a batch of Gens ACE packs and a batch of Turnigy Nano's. The Gens ACe ones are doing great! The Turnigy Nano's are all running a bit on the hot side. 2 of them are already starting to puff a little after a 6 minute flight in my stryker (original stryker with a setup that draws in the mid 40 amp range). The Turnigy Nano 3s 2200 45C packs get hot in that setup and I don't even run it full throttle all the time.

Meanwhile my Funjet has a 2600 3s 55C Gens Ace packs which are in a setup that draws mid-60's amps and they come down just barely warm.

I also have some smaller packs in both brands and the Gens Ace ones are staying cooler. Both brands do dump amps well but the Nano's getting hot like that means they're not going to last...
Thanks for the info!

Do you guys think this 25C battery (Gens Ace 4s 1800...186 grams) is pointless for this plane because the higher C rated batteries will put out significantly (noticeable) more power? Keeping in mind the extra weight of the higher C batteries...
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:05 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
i want one
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:06 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Anyone using valuehobby batteries? Www.valuehobby.com, that is what I use
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:22 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,429 Posts
I was at the LHS yesterday picking up mine. A guy was there with his kids and asked was it easy too fly and stuff, and that's what i said. "Ahh you cant take our eyes off it!!'' Shop owner makes a nice little Smirk!! lol. Then i told him top speed of around 90mph ,he kinda looked at me in dis-belief...

So now i have too pretty much RTF, I'm debating if im going too glue the Stabs in or not! The double-sided tape seems sticky enough to hold it in. My main concern is, if they ever need to be replaced. And i have them CA'd or epoxied in there. Its going to be quite the task to get them out and cleaned up for a new set!!
One of my Horns seem a bit loose on the Aileron. Clevis seem study enough. But i think ill get a drop of CA on there also for reassurance!
I had too cut a bit Forward corners for the OrangeRX too fit. Its about .25'' too short for it too fit!
Now its just wait for my 2200mahs to come form HK. All i have now are 3S 1800 Nanos. So ill be able too get a few short flights while waiting for them.

After holding the Q, as too throw it. I can see where it would be abit awkward for someone with smaller hands. The end scoop by the motor is pretty much useless. I think it was just meant for a place for your Index finger to rest.
When i set up the rudders linkages, i never had the double sided tape on. Then i realized i had to put the tape on. When i did, i had too screw one of the clevis's all the ways in too draw it center; to the point where the threaded end was out at the end hindering the closer of the clevis. So i had too snip off a few mm off the end of the rod. I think it was because i never had the Stab seated all the ways in, causes the the whole linkage assembly to be out/pushing the linkages too the left. When i look at the amount of foam that's left in the grove its off by about 5mm. Not enough that's its going too cause any crazy flight carsristics ,i dont think so anyways?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, OK, Nowata
Joined Apr 2003
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Anyone using valuehobby batteries? Www.valuehobby.com, that is what I use
I've got a couple of their 25C 2200's that I run in my Tower P-51. Haven't had them long. Going to try them in my Stryker,but I just got it and I have some prep work to do first.
I was test fitting things last night and at first didn't think these batteries would work. There's almost no space on the sides,so you have to kinda bend the wires forward to go up and over the top. Batteries where the wires stick out the end of the battery instead of folding down the side would probably fit better,but I think I can make these work.
They really didn't give much room to work with in this thing!
jeffsend is offline Find More Posts by jeffsend
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:54 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,776 Posts
Just finished trying a sky lipo 2200 MAH 40C and it made little difference if any and flight time was shorter then stock lipo

Was first charge though so maybe it needs breaking in.

At the flying field now all by myself which is kind of nice.
Little to no wind which is also nice

But no one to hold my cell to use Doppler

I wanna know how fast she goes lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29