HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
chevypower1930's Avatar
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141 View Post
I just assembled my F27Q, it went together fast and easy. The CG didn't work out right, it was nose heavy. So, I oriented the BnF lipo with the wires forward and set the lipo as far aft as it would go. When I set the Velcro straps I made sure to pull the battery leads as far aft as I could. The CG balanced perfectly...

I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I'm excited about this plane. Finally I have a plane I can fly in any kind of wind.
Congrats John! As you can see from everyone on this thread you're going to have a blast with the Q!
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:25 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141 View Post
Finally I have a plane I can fly in any kind of wind.
Yep, all Stryker versions and the Funjets excel at this. When it's breezy and the other guys are sitting around grounded and grousing about the "damn wind", you'll be out there flying your head off. Happens at my club all the time.

If fact, I personally think a nice steady breeze adds a fun element with fast foam flying: into the wind, you can power back & nose up and almost hang still in midair; with the wind on your tail you can really pick up some nice speed.

As I learned with my heli's: "The wind is your friend!"
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:27 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c on the stock prop/motor is the best setup for me. There is no speed loss only speed gained and there is thrust lost either only gained. 51amps and 770 watts. The motor is only just barely warm. Plus it weighs basically the same as my Turnigy 3s 40c 2200.

Cutting down a prop is fine..... I've done it before in a bind, but it'll draw more amps than a regular size prop. A 7x5 cut down to 6x5 will draw more amps than a true 6x5. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's less efficient.

With no load 3s turns 24,420RPM while 4s would turn 32,560.

With the stock motor/prop on 4s I have completly unlimited vertical and my speed has increased by at least 10mph and probably more like 15mph. I know most of us have several 3s 2200's laying around and we're always looking for more performance. While cutting down the might get you the performance you're looking for it's doing so at the expense of a higher amp load.

I'm drawing 6 less amps and pushing the watts up by almost 130 watts.
To each his own.


I've been looking at the 4S/1800 option...what kinda flt time you getting, dropping 400mah?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
Registered User
alucard0822's Avatar
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c on the stock prop/motor is the best setup for me. There is no speed loss only speed gained and there is thrust lost either only gained. 51amps and 770 watts. The motor is only just barely warm. Plus it weighs basically the same as my Turnigy 3s 40c 2200.

Cutting down a prop is fine..... I've done it before in a bind, but it'll draw more amps than a regular size prop. A 7x5 cut down to 6x5 will draw more amps than a true 6x5. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's less efficient.

With no load 3s turns 24,420RPM while 4s would turn 32,560.

With the stock motor/prop on 4s I have completly unlimited vertical and my speed has increased by at least 10mph and probably more like 15mph. I know most of us have several 3s 2200's laying around and we're always looking for more performance. While cutting down the might get you the performance you're looking for it's doing so at the expense of a higher amp load.

I'm drawing 6 less amps and pushing the watts up by almost 130 watts.
To each his own.
Tried this setup tonight, stock prop on a 2200 4S 30C. It was stinkin fast, vertical was much better than stock, but didn't have the grunt of the 7X5 when the throttle first ramps up, but pretty close. The weight was noticeable, and I just threw it in the hatch as far back as I could get it, so CG was more nose heavy than I am used to, elevators, spins, and slow flight were a bit too heavy for my liking. I'm sure a lighter 4S would probably be much better, being most of what I didn't like was CG related more than total weight. It's worth looking into, and I might run the 4S setup in the future when I feel like going fast, but I like the 3S setup for aerobatics.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:38 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,016 Posts
Yeah that's why I like the 1800. I still get 6min flight time and that's just what I have the timer set at. I might get more, but these were just tests. I'll pay more attention to how many mah I put back into it next time and see how much I can bump up the timer.

Weight wise my 3s 2200 40c weighs 200grams and the 4s 35c 1800 weighs 203grams...pretty much the same.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:38 PM
Registered User
rsmheli's Avatar
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c on the stock prop/motor is the best setup for me. There is no speed loss only speed gained and there is thrust lost either only gained. 51amps and 770 watts. The motor is only just barely warm. Plus it weighs basically the same as my Turnigy 3s 40c 2200.

Cutting down a prop is fine..... I've done it before in a bind, but it'll draw more amps than a regular size prop. A 7x5 cut down to 6x5 will draw more amps than a true 6x5. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's less efficient.

With no load 3s turns 24,420RPM while 4s would turn 32,560.

With the stock motor/prop on 4s I have completly unlimited vertical and my speed has increased by at least 10mph and probably more like 15mph. I know most of us have several 3s 2200's laying around and we're always looking for more performance. While cutting down the might get you the performance you're looking for it's doing so at the expense of a higher amp load.

I'm drawing 6 less amps and pushing the watts up by almost 130 watts.
To each his own.
I understand Kuzcy, I was just trying what I had on hand. I wasn't really looking for more speed,,, It's fast enough for me at this point. Just thought I might get more/better vertical as the flight continues.
Cut down APC 7X6 to 6" yeilds 49 amps at 567 watts.
Can't check RPM until later.
I'm sure it will unload in flight and be within the ESC's capabilities.
Perhaps a 4S 1800 will have to be ordered.
Thanks for the info.
rsmheli is offline Find More Posts by rsmheli
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
3S vs 4S

I've been running Sky lipo 3S 2200 40C....good value for the $$, imo.

I just checked and found:

3S 2200 40C = 195gr

4S 1800 40C = 220gr

So for Sky lipo we got about a 25gr incr in wt on the 4S...the batts are about the same price...so

a) will the stock motor & esc handle the 4S amps
b) will the extra wt make her even more nose-heavy
c) which is better (subjective): 3S with a 7x5 sport, or 4S on the stock prop?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:10 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,016 Posts
Like I said, If you're getting the performance you want than great. I just tried the 4s 1800 because I had it. I didn't go looking for it. I just think there are more efficient ways of getting the best of both worlds.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:14 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,016 Posts
This is the 4s 1800 I have. On the page it's either 205 or 203 grams depending on what description you read.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11942
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
Registered User
sickwitit's Avatar
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
This is the 4s 1800 I have. On the page it's either 205 or 203 grams depending on what description you read.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11942
Yup, sold out like always.

I noticed the Gens Ace 4s 1800 25C supposedly only weigh 186 grams. Too bad they're only 25C. Those nano-tech 35C will run faster. But how much faster?
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
3D wing innovator
MikeRx's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
Need bearings.. help anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
what set up blew the bearings?
I was flying it tractor style on a stryker short wing at 18 oz using 3s and 7x5"
It flew amazing, would do verticle takoffs, and never ran too hot. Inspection of the motor reveals no signs of heat. Darn. I like this motor.. I could do a 3 minute quick change from my stryker Q to the short wing. Im hoping I can find a bearing specialist in the Dallas area..maybe at one of the LHS?

I knowBoca is the way to go for bearings but I dont have a clue how to install on this one
I plan on ordering another as Im sure it will run all day on that 7x5 with the throttle management.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
killowatt's Avatar
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
410 Posts
Prop debate

I cut down a prop because no lhs close to me had a replacement ..With that said i found that the modified APC prop preformed better than the stock prop ! For me it does what i want at the cost of a few mph ....I bought the Q for its aerobatic ability , not the top speed ( though is goes pretty well ) if i wanted a fast wing it would be a rite one ..
killowatt is offline Find More Posts by killowatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:05 PM
3D wing innovator
MikeRx's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
I've been running Sky lipo 3S 2200 40C....good value for the $$, imo.

I just checked and found:

3S 2200 40C = 195gr

4S 1800 40C = 220gr

So for Sky lipo we got about a 25gr incr in wt on the 4S...the batts are about the same price...so

a) will the stock motor & esc handle the 4S amps
b) will the extra wt make her even more nose-heavy
c) which is better (subjective): 3S with a 7x5 sport, or 4S on the stock prop?
a) yes, the "pro" esc seems to keep plenty cool with static bursts of 50a or so.
b) yes, the 2200 4s I tested made a difference but other than a couple clicks of up trim, it seemed suited to the 30mph winds I was flying in. Id take a decent 1800 mah any day though.
3) good one. since changing props and batteries is so easy, I will not settle for one.. different missions are fun. 7x5 3s gives me supreme thrust and 90mph+ or that 6x6 humming 4s at 110 in bursts
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:08 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,055 Posts
While the 7x5 Sport prop does pull more power on the ground than the stock 6x6 prop, it would be interesting to see what happens in the air. The two props will be much closer in power draw due to the 7x5's lower pitch and greater unloading in the air.
I think you've come upon a great prop for sporting this thing around, Alucard.

I agree that you will see more top speed with a 6.5x6.5 prop than with either the stock 6x6 or the 7x5 Sport. Climbing will be a little less aggressive than with the 7x5.

Graupner speed props are getting very rare. They went out of business or something bad like that.
While they did make a 6.5x6.5 Speed prop, I don't recall there being a 6.5x6 size.

A GREAT source for 6.5" props will be the APC .15 Pylon series. They're 6.5" diameter and come in a slew of different pitches, with 6.5x5 to 6.5x6.5 in 1/2" pitch increments.
http://www.apcprop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
At the same throttle setting, the 7X5 uses more power than the stock 6X6, not by a lot, but about 50 more mah per minute. It saves battery because it accelerates much quicker, and has better low end, so you don't need to hold WOT as long to get to top speed, or to pull vertical for loops and spins. If you fly at 1/2 throttle on the stock prop, you need to keep bumping more throttle to keep the speed up in turns and vertical, the 7X5 keeps pushing at 1/2 throttle, so you can do the same moves slower without stalling. It still depends on your flying style to a great degree, stay WOT, and you will lose 60-90 seconds of flight time with the 7X5, but fly slower, do more gliding down from higher elevations, or fly in a smaller space with more turns, and the difference is eliminated ot even can give a little bit of an edge to the 7X5 in battery life.

I'm still looking for the Graupner 6.5X6 and 6.5X6.5, I think they may be even better than the 7X5APC, while matching or increasing top speed relative to the stock prop. I did speed runs when I first got it, but now do mostly stunts, most of which benefit greatly from more thrust, still do the occasional upright or inverted WOT pass, a hair slower than stock, but still exciting, and more than worth the tradeoff in greater thrust. Then again I like 3D and big aerobatics, I was one of the first to swap a 12X6 on my PKZ Extra300 and 13X4 on my CZ Yak, in fact most of my planes are slower than stock, but I like to point it up, and have it head for the sky like a missle rather than do a fast horizontal pass.
murdnunoc is online now Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
While the 7x5 Sport prop does pull more power on the ground than the stock 6x6 prop, it would be interesting to see what happens in the air. The two props will be much closer in power draw due to the 7x5's lower pitch and greater unloading in the air.
I think you've come upon a great prop for sporting this thing around, Alucard.

I agree that you will see more top speed with a 6.5x6.5 prop than with either the stock 6x6 or the 7x5 Sport. Climbing will be a little less aggressive than with the 7x5.

Graupner speed props are getting very rare. They went out of business or something bad like that.
While they did make a 6.5x6.5 Speed prop, I don't recall there being a 6.5x6 size.

A GREAT source for 6.5" props will be the APC .15 Pylon series. They're 6.5" diameter and come in a slew of different pitches, with 6.5x5 to 6.5x6.5 in 1/2" pitch increments.
http://www.apcprop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=9
The Cam's are hard to find indeed. I've looked for a 6x6, 6.5x6.5, and 7x7 and only Europe seems to have them for sale and they are few and far between and not one single vendor has all 3. I have a 6.5x5, but it'd for another plane. Anyone know where to get some Cam Speeds at?
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Parkzone F 27Q stryker friz Electric Plane Talk 181 Nov 04, 2011 02:54 PM
Found Parkzone F-27c stryker PNP NIB rcwarrior Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 11, 2010 07:48 AM
Question Please Help! Can I use 14.8V 2200mAH on ParkZone F-27C Stryker? rcwarrior Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Nov 11, 2010 12:13 AM
Discussion Looking for plans for foamy similar to Parkzone F-27c Stryker CX2Mike Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 5 Oct 24, 2010 01:00 PM
For Sale Parkzone F-27c Stryker PNP or BNF beginner4life Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 12, 2010 11:02 AM