HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Throw a Flow
Orange Park Florida
Joined Sep 2007
108 Posts
Maiden mine today. First stryker I have flown. No trims at all flew perfect. I have a new fav.
tom@orangeridg is offline Find More Posts by tom@orangeridg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:59 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
I flew mine yesterday and got this clip of the maiden flight. I thought I will toss it like this. My first flying wing experience.

IMG 0080 (0 min 27 sec)
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Looks good, Your not chopping your fingers off like that!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Yeap, that is the idea to go with that style of tossing.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2010
128 Posts
First post on to RCgroups. I've got most of the other parkzone planes (and wrecked my fair share as well) and I just picked up the F27Q yesterday. Maiden flight yesterday evening. At first I used the mixing trick mentioned early on in this thread to get maximum throws on my DX6i but after the VERY twitchy over responsiveness of my first flight, I disabled the mixing thing completely. The next flight was much much better and I had a great time doing spins and rolls and loops. I'll have to play with the rudder feature. I don't have a lot of experience with rudder.

I'm not new to flying but I'm new having a programable radio and I'm just now kind of getting the hang of it. (for the longest time I bought the parkzone planes that included the radio and all) I finally decided I needed to buy one programable radio and learn how to use it. I've programmed four planes on it; corsair, mustang, p47, and the F27C. Now I've added the F27Q and it's plenty operational with the elevon settings and all that but I still think I need to add "exponential" to even out the remaining touchiness of the controls but again, I'm not real experienced with making those kind of adjustments.

I have no problem tossing it. It seems to just light out of my hand and take off at maybe half throttle (I'm tossing overhand) Have my radio on a cord around my neck. I throw w/ my right and have my left on the throttle.

The plane itself is fantastic and I'm sure it will end up being my favorite. I'm not interested in modifying it in any way other than programming my radio to make it handle just right. Right now it just seems really sensitive. I haven't programmed low or high rates so I guess I'm in high rates. But it's not like the high and low settings of the previous parkzone radios is it? On this DX6i radio, you have high and low on individual components; ailerons, elevators, rudder, etc... It gets a bit confusing for me. The DX manuel, while comprehensive on instructions on the various features, rather assumes that the reader really knows what the various features do. I probably need to find a thread or videos that discuss basic radio programing. Any suggestions on that side of it would be greatly appreciated. I think it's plenty fast for my purposes.

Thanks everyone. I really enjoy reading all of your posts.
Jwhatley is offline Find More Posts by Jwhatley
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
One some TX's you can assign the high rate switch to any switch. I have all my high rates on the aileron switch for the Stryker so I only have to hit the single switch to go crazy. I would recommend setting up the recommended throws but using the following for EXPO, Low rates 15% and High rates 50%. It will make her handle like the Super Cub on low rates, nice slow easy turns and loops, but high rates will give you stryker performance.

EXPO, positive numbers will soften the center of the stick feeling making it less responsive, negative numbers will make the middle of the stick overly touchy. Basically EXPO can either reduce the movement of control surfaces around center stick and then expodentially increase the movement the farthur out the stick is moved. Its great for reducing accidently giving aileron inputs while pulling the elevator and vise versa.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
I like he separate switches. I've found that sometimes I have to turn off the highs on the ailerons, but still want the highs for the elevators. I'm also using a JR 9ch so I have more switches than I can really use on the Q.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhatley View Post
First post on to RCgroups. I've got most of the other parkzone planes (and wrecked my fair share as well) and I just picked up the F27Q yesterday. Maiden flight yesterday evening. At first I used the mixing trick mentioned early on in this thread to get maximum throws on my DX6i but after the VERY twitchy over responsiveness of my first flight, I disabled the mixing thing completely. The next flight was much much better and I had a great time doing spins and rolls and loops. I'll have to play with the rudder feature. I don't have a lot of experience with rudder.

I'm not new to flying but I'm new having a programable radio and I'm just now kind of getting the hang of it. (for the longest time I bought the parkzone planes that included the radio and all) I finally decided I needed to buy one programable radio and learn how to use it. I've programmed four planes on it; corsair, mustang, p47, and the F27C. Now I've added the F27Q and it's plenty operational with the elevon settings and all that but I still think I need to add "exponential" to even out the remaining touchiness of the controls but again, I'm not real experienced with making those kind of adjustments.

I have no problem tossing it. It seems to just light out of my hand and take off at maybe half throttle (I'm tossing overhand) Have my radio on a cord around my neck. I throw w/ my right and have my left on the throttle.

The plane itself is fantastic and I'm sure it will end up being my favorite. I'm not interested in modifying it in any way other than programming my radio to make it handle just right. Right now it just seems really sensitive. I haven't programmed low or high rates so I guess I'm in high rates. But it's not like the high and low settings of the previous parkzone radios is it? On this DX6i radio, you have high and low on individual components; ailerons, elevators, rudder, etc... It gets a bit confusing for me. The DX manuel, while comprehensive on instructions on the various features, rather assumes that the reader really knows what the various features do. I probably need to find a thread or videos that discuss basic radio programing. Any suggestions on that side of it would be greatly appreciated. I think it's plenty fast for my purposes.

Thanks everyone. I really enjoy reading all of your posts.
Good stuff whatley and welcome too RCG's
If you want the option too on/off your duel rates, in the set up list find D/R combi. Pick the switch you want to use. I usally use Ail D/R switch casue its
up on the top right!! If you take your hands off the sticks when fliping switchs.
(Yes i've seen it) maybe use the the Elev D/R switch on the top left. Then your fingers dont come off the Right stick. I think at these speeds the Q gets!! The ground can come FAST!!
When i get mine this week, ill do a DX6i video or somthing. and post on my Blog!!
I may miss with the Rudder mixing after i get a few flights under my belt.
EXPO is your friend!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:54 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
I'll just set up the expo/DR for each channel.

I typically tone down the ailerons but like lots of throw on elevator and so so on rudder.

Then again - I haven't flown my Stryker so it may be different for this model.

I do know That for maiden I'll be adding lots of expo and reduing throws till I become accustomed to flying it.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Congrats with the maiden flight Jwhatley. You sound EXACTLY like me as far as RTF planes and BNF. This is my first wing as well & after my 1st flight I had to change my shorts. I too use the DX6i & had help from EastCoast78 with suggested settings for the D/R & Expo settings on the radio since my first flight was "twitchy" & didn't look smooth at all, although my audience dug the airshow, I was shaking & sweating the entire 6mins. I have my Low Rate:
AILE 0 60% +35%
ELEV 0 60% +35%
RUDD 0 50% +5%
High Rate:AILE 2 100% +25%
ELEV 2 100% +25%
RUDD 2 100% +5%

I'm still trying to figure it out but those settings helped me with flight 2-3 look smoother, & I NEVER made it to High Rates. Which probably explains why I couldn't pull off the Elevator (parachute) Landing now that I think about it. Good luck

p.s.- Like EastCoast said, it is waaaaay easier to have your D/R on one switch instead of having to flick 3 seperate switches. I have my D/R Combo switch on the AILE switch since I don't have to move my finger too far from the stick, again as per EastCoasters help
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Jun 25, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
rcoconut...add some more expo to your high rates... you have more throw and less expo so the high rates are going to feel VERY touchy when you go to them. Move the Expo to 50%...maybe 55%
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhatley View Post
The mixing setup has nothing to do with the "twitchy over responsiveness". I've added the Mix 1 and Mix 2 setup (as shown on those Youtube videos) and it works very well for the DX6i. You need to setup your dual rates and exponentials like it shows in the Stryker manual. And it sounds like you should definitely leave it on the low rates and set your expo to around 50% all around. This will make your flying much smoother and more enjoyable. After you get more comfortable with the plane, then you can play with the high rates.
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
What do these mixes do exactly?
I seem to have missed that vid!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
Here is my video....still cant do the elevator. So what am I doing wrong??

http://www.vimeo.com/25536812
WOW!!! Nice flying ATIS!! That is on my list of things to do, the flat spin! Inverted was cool! Someone a few post back listed the control input for that, I'll have to go back a few pages & find it.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
rcoconut that was my bad. Rule of thumb is, higher the throw the more Expo. So before you attempt H/R'
s you may want too get the expo up too at least factory spec's!!
RCG Plus Member