Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post

it will roll and yaw to the left, right rudder corrects for it. I normally go about 1/2 throttle after launch, it doesn't need a whole lot as long as you throw it well, and get on it quick. The throttle off launches in my vid on the previous page probably aren't even 1/2 throttle, and dead sticked for a couple seconds after throttling up, flies off and climbs out very nicely once you get the magic blend of throw and throttle
Thanks for the reply. I've been throwing it frisbie style (left hand) at full throttle and it rolls left to almost fully inverted. I thought full power might be the problem. I'll try 1/2 power next time. I can't throw it overhand do to a back problem. I didn' have this problem with the C.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I CA'd the rudder fins to the fuse...sorry. The rudders come prehinged.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Mine is waiting for me to get home!!! Been out of town all week with work!!! Nice thread guys!!!
rmillerawacs is offline Find More Posts by rmillerawacs
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Can you set the alarm to 11.1 volts? I've been looking into the DX8 but I don't like to run my packs down that low.
You can set the low voltage alarm to any number. My packs are around 9.8 volts when I land. The 9.6v setting is because the packs sag a little bit at the end with full throttle. That way I have a reserve at lower throttle to land without listening to the alarm.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Which way does the plane torque and how much throttle do you recommend?
I only put on enough throttle to feel that the plane wants to get away from me which means that there is enough thrust to fly the plane, that's all that is required; I have never actually looked it's a 'feel' thing for me but probably 25-35% any torque roll is barely there so that the launch is calm and easily controllable.
I think the problem that most have is to try to launch with WOT which in turn leads to the torque reaction and things happening too quick to react to whilst your hand is off the stick.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:57 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
I think the problem that most have is to try to launch with WOT which in turn leads to the torque reaction and things happening too quick to react to whilst your hand is off the stick.
I throw with my left hand so I can keep my right hand on the stick (mode 2). Next time I'll launch it at a reduced power. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:00 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Live(thin foam) hinges on the rudders, CA fabric hinges(8 or so 1/4" wide strips) on the elevons.
The vert stabs/rudders have to be CA/epoxied into the fuse, unless you use the supplied double sided tape
How durable are those thin foam rudd hinges i wonder. My Radian Pro has the same deal on the Rudd,but they covered it with strips of clear tape. I re-did it with clear packing tape.
Yikes!! double sided tape for the Vert Stabs? yea ill be gluing them for sure.

Nice vid btw!! i cant wait to get mine now!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
I CA'd the rudder fins to the fuse...sorry. The rudders come prehinged.
Thanks ATIS. I though that's what you meant, but had too ask
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Yikes!! double sided tape for the Vert Stabs? yea ill be gluing them for sure.
They do recommend to CA them also. regular CA can be used with this foam.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
I CA'd strips of 150 grit sandpaper to the finger grips. The difference in grip is amazing. Although I am still setting up, I'm not sure how you guys can launch without the extra grip of the sandpaper. The grip really felt super slippery to me as it came out of the box.

Smokinjoe
smokinjoe is offline Find More Posts by smokinjoe
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
The Flying Herb
Santa Barbara, California
Joined Jul 2007
418 Posts
Very Best Way to Hand Launch

Stand on a cliff or bluff and throw that bad boy out there.....guaranteed gonna fly.

I slope fly my strykers along the bluffs here in california....soooo much fun....and then give it the throttle.....
rstein9 is online now Find More Posts by rstein9
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:03 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstein9 View Post
Stand on a cliff or bluff and throw that bad boy out there.....guaranteed gonna fly.

I slope fly my strykers along the bluffs here in california....soooo much fun....and then give it the throttle.....
Ha that's cool. Would like too see some footage of that!! WE NEED MORE VIDS.
yes im yelling!! cause its late and EXCITED lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
415 Posts
I was out having fun with the Q today when an elevator landing got a little ugly. I eased off of the elevator a little too soon causing it to land with the nose a little downward , the magnetic nose worked like a charm but the fuse didn't fair so well. Right where they put the fiberglass reinforcements the foam split cracking it all the way across the belly to the leading edge of the wing . Upon inspection i found it had little to no glue , this isn't the first time this has happened to me, my carbon z elevator counter balance broke right at the reinforcement too. it had little glue either ! I don't know if it is necessary but i would wick a little thin foam safe Ca around the reinforcements just for extra insurance ...It glued back together easily and you can hardly tell ( but i know its there) ....wish i could glue the prop back together , No lhs close to me has the stock 6x6 , i did try an apc 6x4 and it was horrible ...Has anybody experimented with anything else ?
killowatt is online now Find More Posts by killowatt
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:12 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,293 Posts
I got props today!! flyin tomorrow

I busted the stock on the third landing...

If I understand this correctly: If i discus launch with my right hand and the right wingtip low; would the torque swing me into level flight??
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:13 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Just got done turning a prop down to try out with the Q.

Started out as an APC 7X5, reamed it, cut an auminum spacer, and tried it unmodified, pulled 58A, so decided to cut it down for use with the stock ESC. Turned it down to 5.875", radiused the leading edge tips, balanced it, and now it pulls 48A and 575W, should pull a hair over 40A on a new battery in the air. Well within the stock EC's rating of 40Z constant, 55A @ 15 seconds. The chord is wider, especially at the tips, and being the pitch is mostly calculated based on an average across the prop with the inboard being a higher pitch than the tips, the pitch is likely steeper than the original 5" rating being a little more than an inch worth of the shallowest pitch was removed, might be closer to 6. measured 44oz of thrust(stock prop at 37oz static), so vertical should be a lot better, I don't know how speed will be affected, stock was low to mid 90s with a fresh pack. This plane, like most with very high KV motors loses a lot of speed and power with even a small drop in voltage, on a fresh pack it is just shy of an honest 100mph level, after 3 minutes with more than 1/2 the pack's capacity remaining, it struggles to top 80MPH, and no longer has unlimited vertical. Hopefully this prop will not reduce top speed by much, it measures about the same pitch as the stocker, just with a wider chord, if that is the case, it may be the perfect prop, much better vertical, without losing any speed, and still be OK with the stock ESC. Hopefully I get to try it out in a couple hours after work, I have high hopes.

Attachment 4100178Attachment 4100180
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
I was out having fun with the Q today when an elevator landing got a little ugly. I eased off of the elevator a little too soon causing it to land with the nose a little downward , the magnetic nose worked like a charm but the fuse didn't fair so well. Right where they put the fiberglass reinforcements the foam split cracking it all the way across the belly to the leading edge of the wing . Upon inspection i found it had little to no glue , this isn't the first time this has happened to me, my carbon z elevator counter balance broke right at the reinforcement too. it had little glue either ! I don't know if it is necessary but i would wick a little thin foam safe Ca around the reinforcements just for extra insurance ...It glued back together easily and you can hardly tell ( but i know its there) ....wish i could glue the prop back together , No lhs close to me has the stock 6x6 , i did try an apc 6x4 and it was horrible ...Has anybody experimented with anything else ?
Thanks for the heads up killowatt. I'll have a look when i un-box mine. As for Diff Props i think just alucard0822 has ,with his Modded Prop.
So a 6x4 Sucks? That sucks!! I have quite a few of them on hand. I should of got LHS too order me 2-3 as spares..just in case.
I'll look around HK i guess or RCtimer.
RCG Plus Member