HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
They do feel a bit shallow perhaps,but Im getting used to it. One things for sure,I saw someone posted earlier on,Perhaps coating the inside of the grips with a light/med CA. At less than 25 flights,Mines already developing tears where the thumb and forefingers would usually sit.
Cant say enough about how easy using a throttle cut switch on the hand launches. Just roll up the gas to 65-90%,throw and hit the switch at the same time,Not even throwin that hard,haven't even had a close call. Just hoping the hand grip survives for awhile...
The shallowness of it,does seem to make you feel like you have to grip it tighter than the old stryker. = more grip wear. ?
I throw it about 45 degrees up, and hit full throttle as soon as I can see the whole airplane - with my arm out of the way.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
Thanks Eastcoast78!

I'm left handed and i have a neck strap so doing a backhand Frisbee launch with my left hand while setting throttle and controlling the plane with my right should be relatively easy! I bet it feels funny for right handed people when they launch with their left hand

With regards to the torque roll problem, how much throttle shall I use for a backhand Frisbee launch, 50%, 60%??
Sam, I personally use the discus method to launch wings, I am left handed,fly mode one and use a neck strap. So what I do is hold the plane in my right hand then put in enough throttle so that I can feel it wanting to pull away from me then holding in a little up elevator just give the model a gentle toss and away she will go, no fuss, no drama,no torque roll (you only get this problem with full throttle launches) just like on the video you posted.I hope that helps.cheers
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Does anyone have video of the side arm (or frisbee) style launch for this new Stryker? It sounds like a very safe way to launch it with power, but I'm wondering why we haven't seen any video yet. I plan on trying this style when I'm finally able to maiden, but a video would make me feel better about it
I have a bad back and I'm unable to do an over hand throw. I think that is part of the reason that the launch is such a big topic here. Everybody will be comfortable with different launches.

I do throw mine with my left hand frisby style with full power. I've been flying the C for the last 6 years. When I launch the C with my left hand with full power it will go into a 45 degree left bank before it starts flying good. With the Q I'll launch it the same way but it will go nearly inverted to the left before I'm able to upright it and fly. I'm not sure why it is different. I may need to launch it with less power. I've been in the dirt twice launching it and with the C I've never been in the dirt. Any feedback would be appreciated! I just flew my 9th battery in it this evening. When I get it figured out I'll video it.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
i haven't seen anyone really talk about flight times.. What are ya'll setting the timer at on 3s 2200?

Sorry if i missed it, there is been alot of good stuff on here now that alot of people have gotten planes.
Just for comparison, I had my timer set to 6 min with the C and with th Q I have it set for 4 1/2 min. I'm conservitive with my batteries. I like to land above 11.1 volts. Of course that is with several full throttle passes.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post

What did you have too use CA for?
You can use regular CA with this foam.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I used CA for the rudders... I dont trust tape on critical control surfaces...I lost a vert stab on my C during a flight and it wasnt the most fun flying her that way since the one didnt come off completely but rather got stuck turned out about 45*!

Got another flight in tonight...with video, just before the thunderstorm hit!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Telemetry works great on the Stryker. I have the DX8 with the TM1100 module. I set the Pack Voltage alarm to 9.6v and fly until the alarm sounds on a high speed pass. Seems to be about 6 or 7 mins.
Can you set the alarm to 11.1 volts? I've been looking into the DX8 but I don't like to run my packs down that low.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnims View Post
Has anyone ripped out the piece of plastic that the ESC and battery attach to? I would rather just use a strip of velco instead of the straps and I think this will provide some more room in the compartment as well. It looks like it's glued it with some type of gorilla glue, so removing it cleanly may require some work.
I put a strip of rubber shelf liner over that pastic piece and the battery stays put. It can't slide at all.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I am getting around 7 minutes of mixed flying...with mostly 3/4 throttle and a few WOT passes across 300 feet of field.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasredrider View Post
Bone stock my fastest pass was 103.7mph measured using rcspeedo app on my phone. I wonder how acurate it is....

Has anyone else measured their speed with something?

I can't wait till the speed mods start. Will that be a seperate thread?
I used an onboard GPS and mine was 105 mph with no wind and from level flight (no dive). The fastest my C went was 74. My C does have a lot of lights on it though. I want to clock it with a radar gun with the GPS onboard to compare the numbers. Maybe this weekend.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Got a chance right before dark to test out the prop I modified, and it lived up to my hopes. MUCH better vertical, took about 3/4 throttle to maintain a climb, full throttle accelerated up briskly. Got only 3 good speed passes 1 minute into the battery, 85-90mph, about the same as the stock prop, perhaps a hair slower, but definitely worth the tradeoff in thrust. Everything came down acceptably cool, the battery after 6 minutes was at 3.75v per cell with fairly mild flying, so a bit more power hungry, but not by much, all in all it seems like a decent upgrade. That was till the last elevator/parachute landing, right before heading home, and the damn thing broke, must have ended up straight up and down, one blade stuck in the dirt and snapped. Luckily I made templates, so I'll be able to recreate it, but it is far more rigid than stock, so I guess this is to be expected. have some pics and video of the flight, a few hand launches, a few elevator landings, short vertical pulls, a couple speed passes, and throttle stabs from slow speeds to see what it did. I didn't fly fast for long, and didn't fly anything that impressive, it was about 15 minutes till dusk, so the plane was getting a bit hard to see.

Stryker F-27Q prop mod experiment and flight (7 min 47 sec)
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jun 23, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Just got back from the field with my Q, FJ and radar gun.

The Q is bone stock with the PZ 2200 battery that came in my PZ Extra 300.

I did multiple cross wind passes and got a consistent 96 MPH readings in level flight.

My FJ with Grayson Super Mega did multiple 102 MPH passes cross wind in level flight.

I did one pass in the Q with the wind and went 117 MPH!!
Great report...How many cells and prop?
Crash_Clark is offline Find More Posts by Crash_Clark
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
I used CA for the rudders... I dont trust tape on critical control surfaces...I lost a vert stab on my C during a flight and it wasnt the most fun flying her that way since the one didnt come off completely but rather got stuck turned out about 45*!

Got another flight in tonight...with video, just before the thunderstorm hit!
Thanks
CA on the rudders? Or you mean you CA'd the Rudder fins in the Fuse. Sorry im confused lol.
How are the rudders hinged anyways?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
no torque roll (you only get this problem with full throttle launches)
Which way does the plane torque and how much throttle do you recommend?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Thanks
CA on the rudders? Or you mean you CA'd the Rudder fins in the Fuse. Sorry im confused lol.
How are the rudders hinged anyways?
Live(thin foam) hinges on the rudders, CA fabric hinges(8 or so 1/4" wide strips) on the elevons.

The vert stabs/rudders have to be CA/epoxied into the fuse, unless you use the supplied double sided tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Witch way does the plane torque and how much throttle do you recommend?
it will roll and yaw to the left, right rudder corrects for it. I normally go about 1/2 throttle after launch, it doesn't need a whole lot as long as you throw it well, and get on it quick. The throttle off launches in my vid on the previous page probably aren't even 1/2 throttle, and dead sticked for a couple seconds after throttling up, flies off and climbs out very nicely once you get the magic blend of throw and throttle
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822