HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,741 Posts
Very nice work on your case mod; clean worksmanship.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Just got done turning a prop down to try out with the Q.

Started out as an APC 7X5, reamed it, cut an auminum spacer, and tried it unmodified, pulled 58A, so decided to cut it down for use with the stock ESC. Turned it down to 5.875", radiused the leading edge tips, balanced it, and now it pulls 48A and 575W, should pull a hair over 40A on a new battery in the air. Well within the stock EC's rating of 40Z constant, 55A @ 15 seconds. The chord is wider, especially at the tips, and being the pitch is mostly calculated based on an average across the prop with the inboard being a higher pitch than the tips, the pitch is likely steeper than the original 5" rating being a little more than an inch worth of the shallowest pitch was removed, might be closer to 6. measured 44oz of thrust(stock prop at 37oz static), so vertical should be a lot better, I don't know how speed will be affected, stock was low to mid 90s with a fresh pack. This plane, like most with very high KV motors loses a lot of speed and power with even a small drop in voltage, on a fresh pack it is just shy of an honest 100mph level, after 3 minutes with more than 1/2 the pack's capacity remaining, it struggles to top 80MPH, and no longer has unlimited vertical. Hopefully this prop will not reduce top speed by much, it measures about the same pitch as the stocker, just with a wider chord, if that is the case, it may be the perfect prop, much better vertical, without losing any speed, and still be OK with the stock ESC. Hopefully I get to try it out in a couple hours after work, I have high hopes.

Name: S7300804.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 155.9 KB
Description: Name: S7300805.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 164.1 KB
Description:
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:27 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Cool alucard0822. Well be interesting too see the outcome!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Well my glue seems to be holding but i will still probably pick up some backplates.
Will the old stryker ones work?

Also, I have my timer set to 5 minutes and with the stock battery I hit LVC right around there. With nano techs I haven't hit LVC. I do fly with pretty much throttle because I like to fly it fast.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:41 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Just got done turning a prop down to try out with the Q.

Started out as an APC 7X5, reamed it, cut an auminum spacer, and tried it unmodified, pulled 58A, so decided to cut it down for use with the stock ESC. Turned it down to 5.875", radiused the leading edge tips, balanced it, and now it pulls 48A and 575W, should pull a hair over 40A on a new battery in the air. Well within the stock EC's rating of 40Z constant, 55A @ 15 seconds. The chord is wider, especially at the tips, and being the pitch is mostly calculated based on an average across the prop with the inboard being a higher pitch than the tips, the pitch is likely steeper than the original 5" rating being a little more than an inch worth of the shallowest pitch was removed, might be closer to 6. measured 44oz of thrust(stock prop at 37oz static), so vertical should be a lot better, I don't know how speed will be affected, stock was low to mid 90s with a fresh pack. This plane, like most with very high KV motors loses a lot of speed and power with even a small drop in voltage, on a fresh pack it is just shy of an honest 100mph level, after 3 minutes with more than 1/2 the pack's capacity remaining, it struggles to top 80MPH, and no longer has unlimited vertical. Hopefully this prop will not reduce top speed by much, it measures about the same pitch as the stocker, just with a wider chord, if that is the case, it may be the perfect prop, much better vertical, without losing any speed, and still be OK with the stock ESC. Hopefully I get to try it out in a couple hours after work, I have high hopes.

Attachment 4100178Attachment 4100180
What battery are you using? My 3s 40c 2200 peaks out at 40.3 amps with the stock prop. I had a E-Flite 60 I stuck in it. I also found that a 4s 35c 1800 pulls 52 amps on the stock prop and delivers 770amps with completely unlimited vertical. The motor is just warm to the touch. I still need to run the #'s on my 4s 40c 2200. I'm thinking that something like a Cam Speed 6.5x6.5 is going to be a nice little boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Well my glue seems to be holding but i will still probably pick up some backplates.
Will the old stryker ones work?
Yes, I used the ones from my C. You will need (2) longer screws for each side. The back screws will work, but the front screw will need to be longer.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:49 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
After all the trouble people are having with the shallow hand grips and the tricky power off overhead launch has anyone thought of trying or have already tried a discus type launch? It's shown using the C version at 1:20 in the video below. This guy makes it look really easy and if the same type of launch could be achieved just as easily with the Q I don't see why anyone would use the overhead toss any more. I haven't got my Q yet as i live in the UK but i called HH UK today and they said the shipment of BNF's arrived at their warehouse today so i should be able to pick mine up from my LHS tomorrow!

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts and advice for a discus launch.
If anyone has a video of themselves doing a discus type launch on the Q it would be very helpful
Sorry if the topic has already been covered, I'm new to the thread.
Stryker Unboxing, Maiden, Radar Speed Test! (5 min 35 sec)
Sam K is offline Find More Posts by Sam K
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
They do feel a bit shallow perhaps,but Im getting used to it. One things for sure,I saw someone posted earlier on,Perhaps coating the inside of the grips with a light/med CA. At less than 25 flights,Mines already developing tears where the thumb and forefingers would usually sit.
Cant say enough about how easy using a throttle cut switch on the hand launches. Just roll up the gas to 65-90%,throw and hit the switch at the same time,Not even throwin that hard,haven't even had a close call. Just hoping the hand grip survives for awhile...
The shallowness of it,does seem to make you feel like you have to grip it tighter than the old stryker. = more grip wear. ?

Mingus, which switch do you have TH hold set up on, on your tx? I've never launched my C or my Funjet on less then WOT, so the idea of TH hold is new.

Eg...I have a DX7 (heli ver), so TH hold when I do auto's is the top right switch. But I'm right-handed (holding the tx in my left hand and launching the Q in my other left hand), so the heli flt mode switch wouldnt work for launching the Q.

How you set up?

thx bro
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
Jeff,
If you don't want to use the throttle hold switch use a mix and the gear switch. Mix throttle to throttle 100%. I used this on my DX7 for years although I did use the throttle hold switch. Check which mixes will let you use the Gear switch as the DX7 will not let you assign every mix to whatever switch. I sold mine when I went DX8 so can't test for you...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
[QUOTE=Sam K;18579668]After all the trouble people are having with the shallow hand grips and the tricky power off overhead launch has anyone thought of trying or have already tried a discus type launch?
It has been talked about in the last few pages more then before; now that people are getting them. I well be doing/trying a frisbee back hand toss. He did it backwards ,then what i had in mind. I'll be tossing with left hand, while the right stays on the right stick. Using a neck strap well make it easy too set the throttle with right hand and give it a underhand toss. Don't give it WOT throttle on launch, it well cause the torque roll at lower airspeeds. I've done many overhanded/underhanded toss's many times with pusher planes Power has always been off. As long as you are pointed in the wind its really not hard. I think were people run into Prob is giving too much Throttle
My Youtube Channel, there's a few vids of my Pusher Jets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eastcoast78?gl=CA&hl=en
When i get my Q, if i don't have my Camera woman with me, or my friend ill take the Tri-pod along and see how close i can come too it!!

I don't see why anyone would use the overhead toss any more.
True, but i guess it boils down too personal preference!!
I would say "I don't see why anyone would use a Powered overhead toss any more, The motor is mounted in the center of the TE of the Q. Which makes the Prop that much lower. Where the C's motor/mount was high. I think its something like 1.5'' lower. Can you say CHOP CHOP!!

I should be able to pick mine up from my LHS tomorrow!

Sweet!! Mine should be here next week
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
I glue 80 grit sandpaper in finger grip places,gives you alot of traction to throw with.
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:10 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Just got back from the field with my Q, FJ and radar gun.

The Q is bone stock with the PZ 2200 battery that came in my PZ Extra 300.

I did multiple cross wind passes and got a consistent 96 MPH readings in level flight.

My FJ with Grayson Super Mega did multiple 102 MPH passes cross wind in level flight.

I did one pass in the Q with the wind and went 117 MPH!!
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:19 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
Thanks Eastcoast78!

I'm left handed and i have a neck strap so doing a backhand Frisbee launch with my left hand while setting throttle and controlling the plane with my right should be relatively easy! I bet it feels funny for right handed people when they launch with their left hand

With regards to the torque roll problem, how much throttle shall I use for a backhand Frisbee launch, 50%, 60%??
Sam K is offline Find More Posts by Sam K
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Jeff,
If you don't want to use the throttle hold switch use a mix and the gear switch. Mix throttle to throttle 100%. I used this on my DX7 for years although I did use the throttle hold switch. Check which mixes will let you use the Gear switch as the DX7 will not let you assign every mix to whatever switch. I sold mine when I went DX8 so can't test for you...
Gary
Gary, thx bro... great tip- hadnt thought of that. Gotta be a switch that's like *right there!*. I'll fiddle with the mixes and see what I can come up with.

Ideally, I'd like to use the flt-mode (upper left) switch to get some air brakes. If anybody has a quick DX7/AR6200 link for that one, pls lmk

thx gents
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
My manual shows the outside holes on both the servo and the horn for aileron. Weird.
Don't forget 50% expo on high rate . . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
Thanks Eastcoast78!

I'm left handed and i have a neck strap so doing a backhand Frisbee launch with my left hand while setting throttle and controlling the plane with my right should be relatively easy! I bet it feels funny for right handed people when they launch with their left hand

With regards to the torque roll problem, how much throttle shall I use for a backhand Frisbee launch, 50%, 60%??
No Prob, Im a south paw as well so yipper its well make it all that much easier.
I'm guessin 40%ish. Its only a fraction of a second and your left hand well be on the stick. From a few vids ive seen, seems she handles the low speeds well.
Did you see the Vid i posted last night from RCPowers? He goes over the ways too launch. Someone awhile back was asking if anyone had issues with torque rolling on launches, Id say they were WOT or darn near that!! LOL
launch her into the wind with some Throttle and you''ll be golden.

I launch my EPP Edge540 like this sometimes.
WM Parkflyer Maddnes (3 min 24 sec)

Hmm id say you'll need more then 40% to make it work with the Q
RCG Plus Member