HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Servo problems already after 6 packs.
On a side note, have you measured the throws for your high rates yet? After watching your video I noticed your servo horns don't come anywhere close to the foam cut out like mine do at full deflection. And I'm using the middle hole on the control horns (as stated in the manual). So I assume your high rates are less than 35mm, right?
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Stock Motor/Prop
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c
52Amps
770Watts

After 6min of normal flying the motor was just barely warm. Speed improved by at least 10mph and vertical was completely out of sight unlimited.
Great info on upgraded performance. Glad to know there's some headroom in the stock motor's power handling ability.

How did the ESC seem to do?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,290 Posts
I have switched out to a E-flite 60. I posted the #'s earlier for a 3s 2200 40c with the stock prop and ESC. It draws 40.3 Amps.

Also HH just called me back and they are sending me a new servo tomorrow. I'll still be replacing mine with Hitec MG's, but Good Job HH.

Quote:
Turnigy 3s 2200 40c
447watts Peak
40.3Amps Peak
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
On a side note, have you measured the throws for your high rates yet? After watching your video I noticed your servo horns don't come anywhere close to the foam cut out like mine do at full deflection. And I'm using the middle hole on the control horns (as stated in the manual). So I assume your high rates are less than 35mm, right?
My manual shows the outside holes on both the servo and the horn for aileron. Weird.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I got mine out for a maiden flight today between the rain. Hand launch into the wind is decent. I would love a better grip though. Power was decent. It was hard to tell how it tracked as there was quite a bit of wind gusting around today. I had mine set up for factory suggested D/Rs and expo and think that 5% expo is probably low for what I like and may be another reason it was not tracking as well as I thought it should. I found low rate aileron rolls to be a bit too fast for my liking too and reduced it from 50% to 40%. High rates (35mm of throw) was just a crazy blur spin like they show in the promo video. I only did this once and went back to low rates. I tried one high rate elevator parachute and that was quite nice. Inverted needed little to no push on elevator to stay level.... CG is very neutral with the battery all the way back. I was having trouble at first with inverted flight but realized I was still in elevator high rates. Once I went back to low rates, it flew much nicer. I will likely add some more expo on elevator low rates too. I tried some knife edge but there is a LOT of coupling going on. Speed was OK but not as fast as my FunJet. It is nice but I am not WOWed by it yet.

I think that once I get D/Rs and expo to my liking and a KE mix dialed in, it should be fun.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
When doing a elevator/ parachut try using a little rudder and alieron to get it to turn on it's yaw axis in the decent. Really looks neat.
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,453 Posts
I flew her again tonight. She is a blast. I made an unscheduled single point landing... held the flat spin too long and couldnt get out fast enough....you need more then 25 feet to straighten out and power up. LOL

As for HL, I use my thumb and my ring finger in the finger holes and use my pointer and middle finger set on the motor mount screws. This gives me the ability to sling the tail forward like a fork pitch for baseball. I launch at a 50* nose up angle and once away I hit the throttle hard and she is off and flying with about 5 feet of space between her and the ground.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
HS-55's on the Q???

Quote:
Servo problems already after 6 packs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZQOQHw_fA

Kuczy thx for the vid, bro...dude that sounds nasty! Glad HH sending a new one.

Servo question

Ok, I have the FunJet original (not ultra) w/ the Grayson motor & esc and I've ripped that thing around at 85+mph for 2 doz flts now. Wow what fun

This FJ has had 2 Hitec HS-55's since the giddyup...and they have worked perfectly at all times...never stripped, work great.

I HOPE we don't have the servo issues on the Q like we've had on the EF Carbon-Z.

BUT IF WE DO, then I plan on just replacing the Q's oem servos w/ a couple 55's.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I'd bet anybody a steak dinner that my FJ would outrun a stock Q...so if the FJ is good w/ 55's, the Q should be too? Digital, schmigital...I just want servo's that'll work.

Yes? No? Thoughts?

thx gents
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,290 Posts
Just finished putting 2 HS-65HB's in the Q. Guess my Cermark Fantasy Racer will be grounded for a while.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
How's it going everyone... Long time Stryker flyer here and I just received the Q today!

Opening up the box it looks GREAT... Looks like a lot higher quality then the C (one of my favorite and most fun aircraft I've flown) I got the PNP, I have my AR500 installed in the plane and have included some pictures of how I set up my antennas, seemed the best way to route the long antenna that I could figure out.

Anyways, the plane looks awesome, looks like some great improvements and I can't wait to get this thing in the air with the new rudders! I just need to swap out to a deans connector and I'll be taking it up for a maiden flight

I cut small slits on both sides of the receiver indention area (ar500 fits perfect) for the antennas to slip right between. The short antenna is sticking right outside of the fuselage straight out. I cut a shallow slit for the long antenna to sit in and turned it 90 degrees towards the rear of the aircraft. The very end of the long antenna is exposed. (That crooked cut straight back is going to be one of those small things that is going to bother the hell out of me! hahaha)

Edit: Looks like I need to reroute my antenna.... I've been looking around and I'm seeing "do not bend spektrum receiver antennas"

I'm gonna do a smooth curve instead... Gives me a chance to straighten up my cut anyways

Edit: New antenna route
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Last edited by chevypower1930; Jun 22, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jeff, my FJ has the Grayson Super Mega and I have had it on radar in the low 100s flat and level and as fast as 120 MPH with a stiff tail wind. My Sonic Blu F-22 has the Grayson Super Sonic and has made 79 MPH passes with a light tail wind. I suspect my Q is somewhere in the 80s MPH range. I will get it on radar when the weather cooperates.

I have had nothing but horrible luck with HS-55 servos. I recently sent nine in for glitching issues and when I got new ones in return, I sold them all. The FJ instructions suggest metal gear servos. I am running MG-14s in mine and they are working perfectly. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303 If you want to stick with Hitec, the HS-65s would be a better route than the 55s.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,163 Posts
Is the AR600 a decent RX?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I have an AR600 in my PZ Extra and my PZ T-28. Never had an issue with either.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Jeff, my FJ has the Grayson Super Mega and I have had it on radar in the low 100s flat and level and as fast as 120 MPH with a stiff tail wind. My Sonic Blu F-22 has the Grayson Super Sonic and has made 79 MPH passes with a light tail wind. I suspect my Q is somewhere in the 80s MPH range. I will get it on radar when the weather cooperates.

I have had nothing but horrible luck with HS-55 servos. I recently sent nine in for glitching issues and when I got new ones in return, I sold them all. The FJ instructions suggest metal gear servos. I am running MG-14s in mine and they are working perfectly. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303 If you want to stick with Hitec, the HS-65s would be a better route than the 55s.

9Sec...aint the Grayson FJ fun??!! Funny thing is, I'm just the opposite...I've had a doz or more 55's on all kinda models and have had nothing but good luck & performance. Guess I'll keep chanting, burning incense, and rubbing my rabbit's foot.

I guess I'm just in "irked mode", having had to replace all the oem servos in the CZ Yak ...and the thought of maybe having to do the same on the Q just doesnt set well. I sure hope that's not the case.

If any of you new Q pilots spot anything funny w/ the stock Q servos, pls post asap.

thx
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,163 Posts
Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
I have an AR600 in my PZ Extra and my PZ T-28. Never had an issue with either.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29