Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
There is the possibility that it is your motor and not your ESC that is the issue. Do you have a multimeter? You could measure resistance between the leads and see if there is any anomalies.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
sorry using a turnigy 9x tx with a flysky 6 ch rx. I did have to reverse throttle. But the esc was working fine, until one bauched attempt to hand launch. It landed flat on the ground but it after that would not ARM. I will my first throw I the it like a football and twisted as I the and it went nose first. Everything worked fine after that. Then on the last failed throw it stopped working. Would ARM but was very hard to hear, then it just stopped.

Lesson just make sure its nice and tight in the holder, I think it must have shifted and hit one of the caps on the battery and shorted somehow.
OK, probably smoked it by stalling the motor (likely reasonable case)?!

Hope you are back in the air soon...

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
There is the possibility that it is your motor and not your ESC that is the issue. Do you have a multimeter? You could measure resistance between the leads and see if there is any anomalies.
Checked the motor with a different esc, all good. Tried a different motor with stryker esc, no arming. So I've concluded its the esc.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
OK, probably smoked it by stalling the motor (likely reasonable case)?!

Hope you are back in the air soon...

David
Do you mean, by a prop strike, when you day stalling the motor. Really want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Do you mean, by a prop strike, when you day stalling the motor. Really want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Yes, a prop strike will stall the motor (through it out of time). A relatively low resistance/high power system has a good chance of being damaged by this.

Best Regards,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I have a video that is uploading that all the Q owners need to watch. It's got about 10min left.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GReedTFD View Post
...that's my biggest complaint and maybe it's just me, but it just doesnt feel like there's enough meat for me to grab.
It's not just you. I deepened the hand grip by pressing in with my thumb. Makes it a little more comfortable to grab. It would be better if they made the grip holes a little wider apart. That would help keep the plane level when throwing it.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
Servo problems already after 6 packs.

Parkzone Stryker Q Servo Issue (2 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
The Flying Herb
Santa Barbara, California
Joined Jul 2007
415 Posts
I have a stryker c that i put wheels on......with a steerable nose wheel.....

works really well....anyone else do that? wish parkzone would put wheels on the new Q!
rstein9 is offline Find More Posts by rstein9
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
The Flying Herb
Santa Barbara, California
Joined Jul 2007
415 Posts
not the famous parkzone singing servos!!!

definitely sounds nasty....i bet parkzone would replace it.
rstein9 is offline Find More Posts by rstein9
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Servo problems already after 6 packs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZQOQHw_fA
Thanks for the video...today one of the guys at the field swore he heard the servo grind when I yanked it vertical on high rates...will definitely be keeping a close eye on them.
GReedTFD is offline Find More Posts by GReedTFD
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:03 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox View Post
yeah,,, same here.. I'm not having launch issues ,but I defintely feel like I need a better grip...
The wife just called. The Q and my DX8 from the recall were just delivered. I'm ready to leave work!!!

A friend bought his last evening from the LHS. The grip on the Q is smaller than the C. I'm going to remove some foam below where the thumb goes and where each finger goes. I'll wear a disposable surgical glove and then paint the surface with thin CA where the foam is removed. Just a drop or two of CA in the hole and smoothed out with a finger. It works really well.

Also I might remove the uneven areas where the fingers go. They don't feel right to me. I like to be able to really hold on to it so I can launch it pretty hard. When it's calm launches can come pretty close to the ground.

On a separate issue, has anyone had a problem with grass or weeds getting caught by the Vs in the wing near the fuselage? It looks like they would funnel the grass and weeds into the V and then catch. We have some pretty tough weeds that grow fast. I'm thinking of either filling the area or just cutting off the point.
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post

On a separate issue, has anyone had a problem with grass or weeds getting caught by the Vs in the wing near the fuselage? It looks like they would funnel the grass and weeds into the V and then catch. We have some pretty tough weeds that grow fast. I'm thinking of either filling the area or just cutting off the point.
Ive had over a dozen flights on her now,and about 40% were in taller grass and weeds. It picked up a little on one side once. Nothin since. Sure am markin up the white fuse with bug guts too,this time of year. hehe
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I forgot. Other than the bad servo I found today I found out some good news.

Stock Motor/Prop
4s Nano Tech 1800 35c
52Amps
770Watts

After 6min of normal flying the motor was just barely warm. Speed improved by at least 10mph and vertical was completely out of sight unlimited.

The Q is too much fun to wait for HH to send me another servo. So I'll rod my R3 of 2 HS-65HB's and put them in the Q tonight. I had them in a Habu for a while so I think they'll take the abuse pretty good until I get so MG's.
HH still owes me a servo though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Taylor Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
176 Posts
Guys, do you need to launch this thing with no power then give it power after it clears your hand? I've seen lots of posts of people hitting there fingers in the longer prop.
Unrealpie is offline Find More Posts by Unrealpie