HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Wow.. that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
I'll be checking mine right now.

All accounted for
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Touch-n-Go's with the Q

So I notice they put a little wheel on the bottom of the fuse now? Is this for TNG's?

Anybody done any off grass or the runway??
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
I haven't tried a T&G yet, but I used to do them all the time with the C.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:50 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw555 View Post
I was flying on Monday and had a little incident, where my Stryker went into what I call a death spiral at low altitude and did a pile driver. Now I was playing pretty hard at the time, but I thought I was under control.

I examined the crash site and found the nose bent up but still usable, the right elevon was dinged pretty hard at the outboard end and in an UP position, the battery was dashed in, and the wing broke at the main spar. Unable to resist I tried moving the control horn on the elevon that was not in the right place and was met with a dull click as the servo was apparently stripped out. At the time I thought the servos had metal gears but the sound was nylon/plastic.

So the next day I went and got a replacement servo from my LHS, and proceeded to remove the wing tape to get to the servo. When I peeled the tape back I noticed that the servo control arm was touching the side of the recess, and I could see splines on the output shaft, prolly not good I thought. Carefully cutting the white hold down goop and prying the servo started to raise up and I'll be darned if the screw that holds the control arm to the servo was missing.

After replacing the screw and fixing everything else I carefully inspected the other servos for the same condition but found them to have the screws in them. (You can see the head of the screw if you carefully look into the top of the wing)

Make sure you check for the screws to be in all servos. Mine was the right elevon.
That sucks, and inexcuseable on HH's part, although QC especially for servos seem to be getting worse.

The parkzone DSV130M and their sibling eflite EFLR7140s are fast gaining a reputation for being crap. Lots of planes lost to them one way or another. I've personally had one fail in the air, costing me a CZ Yak54, and recently had one strip out on the Stryker Q. The Q did bump an elevon on a botched handlaunch on an early flight(forgot to turn off throttle hold, no damage to plane), but seemed OK, although it started grinding a bit at full deflection, then more and more until it basically snapped out of a hard elevator pull, managed to land it, and the servo was grinding like crazy, and wouldn't move the right elevon past 1/2 deflection.

Pulled it apart, expecting to find peices of gear teeth, there were none, not even a dent in any of the teeth, including the nylon gears, there was enough enough play in the gears, shafts and mounts that the teeth were jumping. All the gears could be plastic or metal, that wouldn't make a difference, the case and shafts(shafts turn in little holes molded into the plastic servo case) along with tiny gear teeth are the weak link, it is just a very poor and cheap design. Now it's wearing HS-5085s I had for another project, their gear trains are FAR stronger, and run out of torque before the servo will fail, bumps and crashes just damage the replaceable gears 90% of the time if they cause any damage at all. They are both similar sizes(very minor foam cutting to fit the larger Hi-tec). the pics show the difference fairly well, they are pricey, but I've gotten to like them a lot, and they are a huge step up from the crap Horizon has been putting in their stuff lately, as a slight upgrade to their SV80 for use in elevators on smaller BNF warbirds, they do OK, but with higher stress and 3D planes, they just haven't held up for me.

DSV130M
Name: S7300781.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 160.2 KB
Description:

HS-85MG/HS-5085MG
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jun 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
So I notice they put a little wheel on the bottom of the fuse now? Is this for TNG's?

The wheel was designed for landings. I also have done T&G's with the "C". Both the C and Q the T&G's need to be power off.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
That sucks, and inexcuseable on HH's part, although QC especially for servos seem to be getting worse.

The parkzone DSV130M and their sibling eflite EFLR7140s are fast gaining a reputation for being crap. Lots of planes lost to them one way or another. I've personally had one fail in the air, costing me a CZ Yak54, and recently had one strip out on the Stryker Q. The Q did bump an elevon on a botched handlaunch on an early flight(forgot to turn off throttle hold, no damage to plane), but seemed OK, although it started grinding a bit at full deflection, then more and more until it basically snapped out of a hard elevator pull, managed to land it, and the servo was grinding like crazy, and wouldn't move the right elevon past 1/2 deflection.

Pulled it apart, expecting to find peices of gear teeth, there were none, not even a dent in any of the teeth, including the nylon gears, there was enough enough play in the gears, shafts and mounts that the teeth were jumping. All the gears could be plastic or metal, that wouldn't make a difference, the case and shafts(shafts turn in little holes molded into the plastic servo case) along with tiny gear teeth are the weak link, it is just a very poor and cheap design. Now it's wearing HS-5085s I had for another project, their gear trains are FAR stronger, and run out of torque before the servo will fail, bumps and crashes just damage the replaceable gears 90% of the time if they cause any damage at all. They are both similar sizes(very minor foam cutting to fit the larger Hi-tec). the pics show the difference fairly well, they are pricey, but I've gotten to like them a lot, and they are a huge step up from the crap Horizon has been putting in their stuff lately, as a slight upgrade to their SV80 for use in elevators on smaller BNF warbirds, they do OK, but with higher stress and 3D planes, they just haven't held up for me.

DSV130M
Attachment 4097287

HS-85MG/HS-5085MG

PLEASE don't tell me it's "here we go again" with EF/PZ servos !!!! Hells bells, I just had to replace the 4 EF7140's on my CZ Yak!!

So I haven't even picked up my Q, and ALREADY I need to be thinking about replacement servos??!!

Somebody tell me it ain't so, before I run out and play in traffic.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Taylor Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I have the Jr X9503 too. Set the wing type to Delta and plug 1 aileron into the Aileron Ch and plug the other aileron into the Elevator Ch. You may need to reverse one of the Ch to get them to move correctly.

If you set up Air Breaks make sure to go into the Flap System and set Normal to 0% or else you'll want to smash your head in trying to figure out the 3position switch.
Ahhh, that makes alot of sense! Thanks alot. ^_^;
Unrealpie is offline Find More Posts by Unrealpie
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Called hh, they agreed to send me a new esc. Thanks, now please get it here by Friday so I can fly my plane.
Thanks for the heads up on the servos, ill check them now.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post

Not sure there's enough prop clearance for a TNG...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...5680-GAL09.jpg

Unless of course you have some slightly different landing gear...
Seeya is offline Find More Posts by Seeya
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
Touch and goes will be easy. Just come in for a landing a little hot, skip off the ground, pull up, and hit WOT. Just like in the C.

I guess it's more of a Skip and Go than a Touch and Go.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
So first flight attempt did not go so well. I never got it to fly. Not the esc will not ARM. It does make the cell count, but its very faint. Like it almost can't be heard. The esc was also rather warm for not really having any juice run through it. Can someone please help. I have no idea what the issue might be. My battery voltage it at 12.45.
You do not say what your setup is... Tx, Rx, etc.
I assume you checked the throttle and trim low?
Servo reversing correct?
Atv(travel) 100%, or a bit more?

Not arming really would be the wrong signal in, or a defect...

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2008
39 Posts
Well after 3 flights with the Q, I love it...Flat spins and blenders are sweet as is an elevator...bad news is I elevatored (<~ is that even a word?!) into the ground and busted me prop...I'm thinking no big deal I've got an APC 6x5.5 for my C, but figured it would work for now, but it won't fit . The hub on the stock prop is about 7/16" thick (11mm) and the apc is 1/4" (7mm) so the prop nut doesn't tighten up against the prop...bummer....LHS & htown USA have no parts yet...my only other prop adapter measures around 4mm, the Q's measures about 6mm...so in other words...don't break your prop like me unless you have the right adapters & props . Have fun flying
PS. 2 of my tosses were with a little power, 1 without, but all three had the same result...rolling left to near inverted...saved all 3, and also about messed my pants on all 3...anyone having this happen? My toss technique needs some help....also I don't feel like I have a very good grip on the plane to throw it hard...that's my biggest complaint and maybe it's just me, but it just doesnt feel like there's enough meat for me to grab.
GReedTFD is offline Find More Posts by GReedTFD
Last edited by GReedTFD; Jun 22, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Quote:
I don't feel like I have a very good grip on the plane to throw it hard...
yeah,,, same here.. I'm not having launch issues ,but I defintely feel like I need a better grip...
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
You do not say what your setup is... Tx, Rx, etc.
I assume you checked the throttle and trim low?
Servo reversing correct?
Atv(travel) 100%, or a bit more?

Not arming really would be the wrong signal in, or a defect...

David
sorry using a turnigy 9x tx with a flysky 6 ch rx. I did have to reverse throttle. But the esc was working fine, until one bauched attempt to hand launch. It landed flat on the ground but it after that would not ARM. I will my first throw I the it like a football and twisted as I the and it went nose first. Everything worked fine after that. Then on the last failed throw it stopped working. Would ARM but was very hard to hear, then it just stopped.

Lesson just make sure its nice and tight in the holder, I think it must have shifted and hit one of the caps on the battery and shorted somehow.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab